Momentary drop in revs at 82 MPH

Tim Stuart

Reaction score
Strange one this, but becoming more frequent...

When I'm driving on the Motorway and I momentarily back off the throttle at just over 80 MPH then press the accelerator again, it feels like the engine cuts out for a split second, resulting in a slight (say 200-300) drop in RPM.

I have a 7 week old Sportback 2.0TDi.

Should I be worried, or have any of you expericenced the same thing?

Answers gratefully received.:uhm:

I take it from the deafening silence over the last week that this must be a fault relating to my car, not A3s in general?:uhm:

Is it a manual or DSG? If the revs drop by 200-300 rpm does the car slow down?

My DSG equipped car didn't do it either.

I'd get a dealer to look at it though - they might make you drive it as they won't want to take it over 70mph.

It's a manual, and it's almost as if the engine cuts out for a split second. Always at the same speed. Perhaps it's a flat spot? I'll be taking it in to get it sorted...

OutLore said:
I'd get a dealer to look at it though - they might make you drive it as they won't want to take it over 70mph.

You're kidding aren't you ?
I know an ex Audi mechanic and the father of a current Audi trainee.
The stories they could tell you.
The last one I heard about was the trainee being taken out in an RS4,which was getting some brake problems fixed.
The mechanic was ragging the **** off it !

bowfer said:
You're kidding aren't you ?
I know an ex Audi mechanic and the father of a current Audi trainee.
The stories they could tell you.
The last one I heard about was the trainee being taken out in an RS4,which was getting some brake problems fixed.
The mechanic was ragging the **** off it !

That's entirely different to you asking them to break the law. They'll throw up all kind of "It's more than my job's worth" and "I'm sorry our insurance won't cover us...", then when they road test your car after topping up the washer fluid they rag it to 110mph anyway.

Tim Stuart said:
Strange one this, but becoming more frequent...

When I'm driving on the Motorway and I momentarily back off the throttle at just over 80 MPH then press the accelerator again, it feels like the engine cuts out for a split second, resulting in a slight (say 200-300) drop in RPM.

I have a 7 week old Sportback 2.0TDi.

Should I be worried, or have any of you expericenced the same thing?

Answers gratefully received.:uhm:
Hi Tim, I have the same spec A3 as you and now 8 weeks old. I have noticed the same thing although it does seem to be in the rev range 2200 to 2600 rpm when i have noticed it rather than at a specific speed. Have you been to the dealer yet? and if so have they sorted out the problem.

The car's now done 6k miles and it seems to have become less of an issue, only happening occassionally - I will get it checked when I next have the time to get it to the dealers though....

hi Guys, I'm new here too, have same model and same minor(??) problem, flat spot at around 2400-2600rpm, sometimes don't notice it, must be accelerating through but most noticeable around 50-60mph, will also delay for a while having only covered 2000 miles.
I assume it's an electronic glitch as opposed to mechanical...!!??
h

Had the car serviced last weekend and asked the technician to check to see if there was a fault. The reply was that it was turbo lag, as it comes off-boost at between 2400 and 2600 RPM.......

I find it very easy to confuse the dim witted digital throttles fitted to modern cars, and I suspect this is exactly the problem you are describing. My wife's VW Touran 2.0 TDI is worst than my BMW but you can do it to both. To confuse the throttle take your foot off the accelerator so the car coasts up a slight gradient, then very very gradually apply the accelerator, the car will think it should be cutting the fuel and decelerating,and then all of a sudden it will start accelerating making the car hiccup.

I think this is just going to be a fact of life with digital throttles because I have been able to make all cars fitted with one to some extent that I have driven, and I have to drive with a slightly heavier right foot to get smooth progress and not confuse the ECU / throttle

Chris.

I must have missed this first time.

Mine is exactly the same. I have given Stratford Audi hell over this and they have now 're-flashed' the chip and fitted a new MAF. This seems to have stopped it. However I thought I felt it again the other day.

I have now done probably 3k miles since they had it last, so once in 3k miles is much much better.

Hope this helps.

dkelly said:
I have now done probably 3k miles since they had it last, so once in 3k miles is much much better.

Fits in nicely with the need to add another litre of oil ;)