Overheating brakes

dmaudi

Reaction score
I've noticed in past few weeks, my brakes are very often over heating.

I assume this is pad wear, but they look like over 10mm left both ends,

any idea what the min is? The 3.2 has bigger discs than the others and braking is still good

As I have a warning that they are too hot, I presume I'll get something to say they are too low? likely well before they are actually too low.....

it is also just now due its 2 year brake fluid change, related?

:racer:
or am I just so used to the power I'm driving it too hard/fast now?
:racer:

I would be very cautious about leaving it to the brake indicator as it is only installed on the front nearside pad, so any uneven wear will ****** it up.

I have just run through a set of pads in 8,000 miles, the front offside was the lowest and nearly so low the disc was at risk. This is the wheel I break with, as the inside one the abs always comes on on the farm roads, due to standing water, mud etc.

I have just stuck some EBC red stuff pads on the front, gonna do the backs at the weekend, and will post a few thoughts after they're bedded in.

I often would get fade on the stock pads, especially after a lot of breaking (funny that).

Will try and get some pics of the relevent point on the pad change up as the offside took me 2.5 hours of scratching head and cursing and the nearside took 20 mins as I knew exactly how to do it!

:scared2: thanks didn't realise only had the one wear indicator, seems a bit tight of Audi.

where did you get the EBC pads?

I am also very interested in saving myself from all the work you put in to do the job so if you can post any tips.:o.k:

My pads have lost all their bite and power too.
I asked the dealer to change them,but they handed it back to me with a 'pads fine' remark on the paperwork.
Busturds.

at least they didn't rag it sensless to find the problem, :thumbsup:

took mine in and they drove it up the road to test it, I swear I heard every gear change for about a mile, none of them less than full throttle or with the clutch fully engaged I reckon,

I don't think that service dept like me much...

8K miles for a set of pads? WTF - how on earth do you drive? You do realise that the middle pedal is only pressed when you want to slow down...

I rag the backside of my cars but my pads/discs on mine are still fine at 34K miles.

In the past I have never had to change a set of pads in under 30K miles...

8k is mental.
My car gets thrashed more than a ginger-headed stepchild,but they're still fine at 20K.
Must be some well jerky driving going on there.

the 3.2 is a bit of a hippo and does seem to wear them pretty hard,

mine's done 22K and my 12K of that driven hard and they are getting low but maybe the more even brake effort has helped, over 10mm though left still

agree though 8K, jesus, what sort of mpg would you be getting to drive that hard to wear out your brakes Dave..:scared2:

bowfer said:
My car gets thrashed more than a ginger-headed stepchild

LOL...Classic :)

My 32 was thashed to within an inch of it's life at every given opportunity and at over 20K miles the pads still had lots of life left in them...

Usually discs that need replaced on my car as the pads are Red stuff and dont wear that much. All depends on what you do with the car. track days etc.Try knockhill it kills brakes and tyres.....

Craig

My front pads were only 60% worn after 40k miles and that included 14 laps of the Nordschleife!

They were eventually replaced a few thousand miles ago as a precautionary measure, along with all the discs, when the dealer found a problem with the rear offside caliper. Apprently the lease company didn't like that one bit :)

Well I hink that the offside caliper may have been installed badly when I had them changed recently as this is the ony one that has worn and it was uneven. The nearside only ahd about 5mm on them

As for MPG average 15.5

Driving Fast around country roads, regulary up to speed and off again for a right angle corner, tractor etc.
where did you get the EBC pads?

da3m I got them from brakes4u.co.uk linky to pads

The only problem is that the set I had had a wrong connector on the brake wear sensor, as in it was the same as the one it should plug in to - 2 males (oooeeerr missus)

So I spliced the old one on. I could have just shorted it though.

I have e-mailed them with this and am waiting to here back from them

But they were delivered in 48 hours and had no other problems

thanks for the link Dave,

15.5, I thought I drove mine hard !

is that your trip #2 avg mpg !!, I quite often see 16-18 on the#1 after a run, my #2 trip is showing 20.1 for the 12k miles I've done since April.

If you're looking to replace pads and discs, IMHO you can't beat Black Diamond combo discs and Predator pads for the money. I had them on my S3 and they were brilliant. The pad material isn't as harsh as the OEM ones, and doesn't cover the alloys with nasty metallic dust.

Yes I'm afraid 15.5 is the trip 2, the trip 1 can be as low as 11 on a 20 mile trip to work

I am a perpetually late person ;)

daveflynn said:
I am a perpetually late person ;)

surely driving that hard you're never late, :)

unless you're taking the scenic route! :thumbsup: