Service Question ?

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
My DIS has informed me of my service being due when i turned the car on this morning. Due in 5800 miles and 28 days. Got it booked in for next Monday.

Car is currently on AVS and the car is a March 2005 car and this is its 1st service. It is on just below 10k miles. I bought the car Nov last year with 4900miles on the clock.

I'm going to be changing my job Feb-May next year and my daily commute mileage could go up or down ? I also envisage using my car more at weekends in the future. Currently only do 18-20mile round trip daily to work and back.

What do you think would the best route to go be? Stick with AVS as this has given me 18+ months or go to fixed (previous owners driving and mine) ? IMO I think AVS would be the best especially with my commute changing and this could go up. Just interested in others opinions, cheers.

ps. Was also going to wait on the brake fluid as should have another 5 months with thats alreay in there.

pss. Also is an Audi more sellable on AVS as the next owner can choose its servicing. If on Fixed I belive it cannot be changed back? Am I right?

They say that if you do low mileage and short stop start trips you are better off with normal fixed servicing - however anything which reduces the number of time i need to visit a dealer is well worth it in my eyes! I dread every single time my car is in a dealer - sad but true unfortunately. May well be that its better for the car in this instance to be fixed every 12 months but any extra wear that AVS causes isn't going to show for another 80,000 miles plus anyway - and that is somebody elses problem anyway!

AVS rules!

Agree with Steve, I'd rather go to the dentist for root canal treatment than take my car to the dealer. Therefore anything that increases the time between visits is good news as far as I'm concerned.

My mileage is also v low and when I shift the car on it will still be relatively low mileage even after say 5 or 6 years.

My petrol Sportback is on AVS, March 05 and has done about 5800 miles in 20.5 months, mostly short journeys and is showing about 90 days or 10100 miles to 1st service.

Extrapolated out, that means it will probably need a service in mid January when at estimate it would've done about 6600miles. This will therefore be 6 weeks shy of the maximum of 2yrs between services so I'm happy with that.

Can't see any point in changing ours to 10k intervals - from what I understand in the service book it is oil change every 10K or 1 yr whichever is sooner and inspection service every 2 yrs. I'd therefore be taking it in yearly under fixed servicing so would rather stick with the variable where it tells me when I need a service which at the moment is after 22.5 months.

I guess I'll then be getting the brake fluid done in March.

Thanks for the replies, its all good info and just what I was after.

Steve184 I had never thought of it like that "any extra wear that AVS causes isn't going to show for another 80,000 miles plus anyway - and that is somebody elses problem anyway!"... Mmmmm...