New TDI 170 Owner - is it PD or CR?

bowfer said:
I cannot undertand how anyone interested in design could be a fan of Audi,to be honest.
They have about as much design flair as a council high-rise,or a cardigan.
If design is your bag,then surely you should be drooling over the likes of the Alfa 159,which is stunning inside and out ?
Each to their own - I personally think the current generation Audis look superb and that all Alfas ming, hard!

As for BMWs, I have no problem with the quality nor the image of them, what I do have a bit problem with is the design of the interiors. The previous generation was light years ahead of the current models which aren't a patch on Audi. No-one does interiors like Audi, end of :)

h5djr said:
It's a bit like a comparrison between say a Ferrari and a Porsche. The Ferrari is very Italian and in my view flash, whereas the Porsche is just good understated design than works so well.

ren - let me know when you move to Copenhagen, as I would love to come and visit ! I too am a fan of German and Northern European design. Hence my holidays are always to Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

have you ever been to copenhagen? if not, you must! and if you wait til i get there, you may be waiting a few years ... i have to learn danish first and it's not all that easy a language to get to grips with. it's so clean and neat and liberal and everyone is so good looking!! i don't know of any other country where i would feel safe riding a bicycle around a busy roundabout in the centre of the capital. ...when i get there, i'll let you know - unless you fancy a drive out there in the meantime?!

Like Bowfer I too was intrigued by all the favourable 3-series write-ups and also had a go in the 320D (think it was an ES). The ride quality was superb and I really liked the drive, but I wouldn't buy one for two reasons: BMW's image problem (too many stories of keyed cars) and depreciation.

The latter is quite serious for a so-called prestige brand, with the 3 being the worst offender. BMW are selling too many of them to make it a sensible private purchase.

very good point about the depreciation, ben - i had forgotten that this also had been a deciding factor for my purchase.

i wonder though how long it will be before audi goes the same way - there's a smell of golden goose killing with 900 A3s being set loose on the world on a daily basis.

exclusivity in the premium market is a hard nut to crack. the key lies partly in aftersales customer service. and my experience of audi customer service doesn't make me feel very exclusive, to put it mildly.

Don't you love a bit of Audi/BMW rivalry!
I have owned in the past a previous generation BMW 5 series, a Alfa 156 and now currently drive a 2003 A4 Avant. While the A4 may not have the driver appeal as my 2 previous cars, it is certainly better built and more reliable. Also the dealers are better (and that is saying something considering how poor Audi dealers can be!)

Also the ergonmics of the interior is far superior to BMW these days, simple, understated and it works.

Getting back to the subject of this thread, the 170 is a PD.

The Audi UK site does indicate that it is a CR diesel, but a quick check on the Audi Germany site confirms that it is a PD.

Anyway, I've had my 170 for a coupla weeks now and am delighted with it.:hubbahubba:

My previous car was an SLK350 and before that 4 TTs and I can honestly say that the SB is a more enjoyable car to drive.

On top of that it looks great, build quality is superb and as almost everyone has commented upon, the interior is second to none.

Then there is the stonking performance and what about the fuel economy.

What a car.:thrashi::applaus:

The latest Diesel Car magazine has reviews of both the Audi A3 and Skoda Octavia vRS, both with the 170PS diesel engine. They loved it.

Interestingly, there's also an article on tuning an Ibiza FR with the same engine and when they tested the engine before tuning it was putting out 179bhp and 273lbft, a fair bit above the specs. Always heard VAG's performance figures were conservative so with any luck most are nearer these figures.