Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45

    New car... 2.0TDI -> 2.0TFSI

    After many years of being sensible and driving diesels, swapped my 2.0TDI (140) for the 2.0T a couple of days ago...

    Haven't put many miles on the new car yet, but first impressions are very good. Had forgotten just how much smoother/quieter petrol engines are! Was v worried about missing the torque of the diesel, but the 2.0T pulls surprisingly strongly (and haven't been above 3k yet).

    New car doesn't have BOSE (which i had on the old car)... but i don't actually miss it. The reqular system is 90% as good IMHO as long as you aren't pumping the system at seriously loud levels.

    Only thing i miss at the moment is the 450 mile range on old car!!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    killbill's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Herts
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga
    After many years of being sensible and driving diesels, swapped my 2.0TDI (140) for the 2.0T a couple of days ago...

    Haven't put many miles on the new car yet, but first impressions are very good. Had forgotten just how much smoother/quieter petrol engines are! Was v worried about missing the torque of the diesel, but the 2.0T pulls surprisingly strongly (and haven't been above 3k yet).

    New car doesn't have BOSE (which i had on the old car)... but i don't actually miss it. The reqular system is 90% as good IMHO as long as you aren't pumping the system at seriously loud levels.

    Only thing i miss at the moment is the 450 mile range on old car!!
    Good luck with the new car, I am going the other way, as I need the 450 mile range, it will take some getting used to !

    Cheers


  4. #3
    d3fy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,411
    Get used to the 300 mile tank at just over 50 a fill. Would rather have the 2.0T anyday
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

  5. #4
    dmaudi's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    209
    good to see a few more coming back to the sweet smell of Petrol, you won't regret it,

    I dream of 300 miles tank ranges!!
    2012 Q3 S line S-Tronic 177 TDI
    2013 MINI GP

    Previously B8 S4, 8P A3 3.2Q

  6. #5
    Smudge973's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Harrogate
    Posts
    128
    I came from a 2.0FSI A4 to the 2.0 TFSI A4 The MPG is excellent for such a quick car I have had 500 miles from a tank which was travelling form yourkshire into the centre of London and back, and I have heavy right foot.. My car will be back at the dealer next week at the gears are crunching in 4th 5th and 6th.... but I've read this is common fault on the gear box in the TFSI. Enjoy it....
    Phanton Black A4 2.0 TDI Multi, B&O, AMI, NAV, 19" wheels

  7. #6
    marriedblonde's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunny South Coast
    Posts
    4,368
    Quote Originally Posted by killbill
    Good luck with the new car, I am going the other way, as I need the 450 mile range, it will take some getting used to !

    Cheers

    Not really! I went the same way but I went from 220 miles to a tank of optimax to 420

    J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

    Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

  8. #7
    benw123's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,863
    Sounds good scaramanga. I'm sure if I returned to the petrol fold it would have to be a turbocharged engine as the torque is the one thing I'd miss. Plus 35mpg doesn't sound too bad to me at all!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

  9. #8
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga
    After many years of being sensible and driving diesels, swapped my 2.0TDI (140) for the 2.0T a couple of days ago...

    Haven't put many miles on the new car yet, but first impressions are very good. Had forgotten just how much smoother/quieter petrol engines are! Was v worried about missing the torque of the diesel, but the 2.0T pulls surprisingly strongly (and haven't been above 3k yet).

    New car doesn't have BOSE (which i had on the old car)... but i don't actually miss it. The reqular system is 90% as good IMHO as long as you aren't pumping the system at seriously loud levels.

    Only thing i miss at the moment is the 450 mile range on old car!!
    Congrats on the new car. I've recently done exactly the same ! As you say, the torque on the 2.0T is very good, and you can drive it in a very lazy fashion if you want to (change up at 2000rpm in every gear !). Silky smooth and quiet too.

    Fuel consumption is not as bad as I exepected. Just done a 30 mile run, mixture of A roads and M-ways, and got 36mpg.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga
    Only thing i miss at the moment is the 450 mile range on old car!!
    Thats odd, we get 410-430 miles from every tank!

  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge973
    I came from a 2.0FSI A4 to the 2.0 TFSI A4 The MPG is excellent for such a quick car I have had 500 miles from a tank which was travelling form yourkshire into the centre of London and back, and I have heavy right foot.. My car will be back at the dealer next week at the gears are crunching in 4th 5th and 6th.... but I've read this is common fault on the gear box in the TFSI. Enjoy it....
    A4s have a 70 litre tank though?

  12. #11
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by Xedos
    Thats odd, we get 410-430 miles from every tank!
    In a 2.0T!? Don't think so somehow.

  13. #12
    TDI-line's Avatar
    Uber Post Whore

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    8,885
    What car do you have Xedos?

    2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

  14. #13
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    In a 2.0T!? Don't think so somehow.
    Sounds feasible.

    55 litre tank = 12.1 gallons
    If you are doing longish journeys, you can easily get 34mpg, which gives 411 miles.

  15. #14
    Vertigo1's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,660
    Unless I'm much mistaken, we're talking averages here, as the 450 miles quoted for a 2.0TDI is certainly an average as opposed to the maximum possible.

    Given that, 34mpg is not average for a 2.0T. If you want to compare the 2.0T at the top end of its economy then you need to compare like with like, which in the case of the 2.0TDI is over 700 miles to a tank.

    The 2.0T is a great engine but please don't try to claim it's anywhere near as economical as the 2.0TDI

  16. #15
    d3fy's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,411
    Agreed - and my wallet can prove it
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    52
    Hi,

    Ive got a 2TFSI Quattro S-Line SE. Its now 7 months old, and have done 13100 miles in it.

    Except the first three tanks, we have managed over 400 miles from EVERY tank. Quattro tank is 60 litres and fillups range from 55-61 litres. The DIS 100 hour average at the moment is on 32.9mpg.

    I would say its very possible. One think I will say is that if you drive the TFSI like a NA car on the throttle you WILL get 25mpg. Whereas if you drive it like a turbo you can get 30-40mpg every trip.

  18. #17
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by killbill
    Good luck with the new car, I am going the other way, as I need the 450 mile range, it will take some getting used to !

    Cheers mate! 200 miles later still loving it, but can't wait for the engine to loosen up. Have to admit, I still think the 2.0TDI is a fantastic car and the 170hp version should be even better. That said, its amazing how much quieter its petrol-engined version is after you've driven a diesel for so long...

    Suspect the residual values will be stronger on the diesel (even though i took a massive hit on mine on trade-in!)

  19. #18
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by da3m
    good to see a few more coming back to the sweet smell of Petrol...
    You can say that again!!! i'm just worried i may stop at the wrong pump cos the new car is almost exactly the same as the old one... May have to have "PETROL" tatooed into my right hand

    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Congrats on the new car. I've recently done exactly the same !
    Cheers mate - great minds and all that.... sorry to ask an ignorant question but is there a big difference between Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate ?

  20. #19
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    Sounds good scaramanga. I'm sure if I returned to the petrol fold it would have to be a turbocharged engine as the torque is the one thing I'd miss. Plus 35mpg doesn't sound too bad to me at all!

    Too early for me to give you a view, but i'm not sure you'd miss it... the shame about the diesels is the narrow torque band (ie. after 3500 its all over)... Haven't seen the torque curve but I'm assuming (read: hoping!) the 2.0T keeps going all the way up to 5000ish...

  21. #20
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by scaramanga
    ....Haven't seen the torque curve but I'm assuming (read: hoping!) the 2.0T keeps going all the way up to 5000ish...
    It does.
    2.0T torque curve is flat (280Nm) from 2000 to 5500rpm.
    2.0TDI gives a bit more (320Mm) from 2000 to 2500rpm, above which it falls off gradually.
    I have the curves on another PC - will try to dig them out.

    I've not really experimented much with different petrol yet. Tried Texaco super unleaded and couldn't really tell any difference from their standard unleaded.

  22. #21
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    Unless I'm much mistaken, we're talking averages here, as the 450 miles quoted for a 2.0TDI is certainly an average as opposed to the maximum possible.

    Given that, 34mpg is not average for a 2.0T. If you want to compare the 2.0T at the top end of its economy then you need to compare like with like, which in the case of the 2.0TDI is over 700 miles to a tank.

    The 2.0T is a great engine but please don't try to claim it's anywhere near as economical as the 2.0TDI
    Yes, I certainly agree that the 2.0TDI is much more economical than the 2.0T. I used to average about 46mpg from mine, but I do average 34mpg from the 2.0T.

    These are the figures I get :-

    10 min journeys to and from work (cold start) - 28mpg
    50 mile run on A-roads - 36mpg
    Constant 70mph on M-way - 36mpg
    Constant 80mph on M-way - 34mpg
    Typical average - 34mpg

  23. #22
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    52
    Another thing about the 2tfsi is that the torque curve is sold as being flat when its not. They draw a flat line from 1800-5000rpm saying 280nm I believe, and I think in the small print its a 'at least' 280nm from 1800-5000.

    Just like all turbo it surges to a peak at just over 3000rpm and drops off again. So the peak might well be 350nm at 3000rpm then dropping back off to 280 at 5000rpm. Linear it is not.

  24. #23
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    571
    Quote Originally Posted by Xedos
    Another thing about the 2tfsi is that the torque curve is sold as being flat when its not. They draw a flat line from 1800-5000rpm saying 280nm I believe, and I think in the small print its a 'at least' 280nm from 1800-5000.

    Just like all turbo it surges to a peak at just over 3000rpm and drops off again. So the peak might well be 350nm at 3000rpm then dropping back off to 280 at 5000rpm. Linear it is not.
    Did a quick Google :-

    A3 2.0T :-
    http://www.rri.se/popup/performanceg...p?ChartsID=215

    Looks pretty flat to me !

  25. #24
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Did a quick Google :-

    A3 2.0T :-
    http://www.rri.se/popup/performanceg...p?ChartsID=215

    Looks pretty flat to me !
    Thats quite an ironic RR test, they measure wheel horsepower and compare it with flywheel and state its less than quoted :D

    That dyno looks a little odd too.

    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...APRTUNED/2.jpg thats one curve from the 2l tfsi engine forget hp, just look at the torque curve.

    Another one http://homepage.mac.com/cvervais/gli/dyno/peak_hp.jpg torque builds from 1800ish peaks near 3k.

    another one http://eplabs.net/chip_fsi.jpg

    Its quite easy to drive and feel the torque, disregarding 1st gear where you dont get boost till 4k anyway but later rpm, its still building until gone 3k. Im is not flat from 1800.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO