Thinking of trading the A3 SB

beerglass

Reaction score
Need some help here please

I own a 4 month old A3 TDI 2.0 s-line SB which has 8K on the clock now.
Pretty standard spec a few extras but nothing much

Managed to get it from Audi as ex-demo and got it for 19K with on 1200 miles on the clock and 28 days old.

I brought the A3 because of the hatchback and 5 doors because of a small kid. I was gonna use the hatchback for putting my mountain bike into the back, but now have roof rack and bike rack.

I am now looking at A4 s-lines because I just feel they look nicer than my A3 and could do with a large boot and not the hatchback option.

A local dealer has a blue A4 tdi 2.0 s-line with 6K on the clock and wants 21K for it. He has offered me PX on my car and I pay 1K

Whats the A4 like to drive and live with compared to the A3 ?

The dealer tells me that the A4 s-line is a harder ride than the A3 s-line?

Is this true?

How does the engine compare in the A4 and A3. Its a TDI 2.0 140 manual like mine?

Thanks

I contemplated going dow that route late last year and thought the A4 was a lot softer to drive compared to the A3.

That looks like a pretty good deal though they are offering you.

J.

marriedblonde said:
I contemplated going dow that route late last year and thought the A4 was a lot softer to drive compared to the A3.

That looks like a pretty good deal though they are offering you.

J.

what stopped you ?

It was a bit too grown up for my liking. I love the look of the A4 and it drove really, really nicely. But I had been given an A6 as a loaner while my car was in for a service. I test drove the A4 straight after that (the a6 wasn;t a sport or sline so quite soft) and the A4 was really nice, lovely handliong etc. But when I got back in my A3 I realised it was a little too grown up for me. If that makes sense.

J.

beerglass said:
and could do with a large boot and not the hatchback option.

I was in the same position a while back, believe me if I`d have been made the same offer I`d have bitten the dealer`s hand off!

The A4 is a lot more refined than the A3 (IMHO).

In the end I bought a 2006 Passat 2.0TDi Sport Estate. Love it so far.

Wolfsburger said:
The A4 is a lot more refined than the A3 (IMHO).
Depends on the engine.
Would agree on the 2.0TDI, but the 2.0T is in a completely different league.

I've had two A4s (2.4 and 1.8T), albeit in B6 form, and my A3 2.0T is quieter and more refined than either of them. No comparison on handling either.

mfspen said:
Depends on the engine.

I've had two A4s (2.4 and 1.8T), albeit in B6 form, and my A3 2.0T is quieter and more refined than either of them. No comparison on handling either.

What do you mean NO comparison?

The A3 s-line is better than the A4 s-line?

On another note...I took 1K out of the bank this lunch time to drive up the dealer and make the deal.

They have gone Cold on the deal and I not very impressed. The sales guy who made the deal over the phone is off today.
They have told me that hes in tomorrow but no way can they do that deal.

1K would mean they lose money..

I'm waiting to see what the sales guy will say tomorrow when he hopefully rings me back and explains he reasons....

beerglass said:
What do you mean NO comparison?

The A3 s-line is better than the A4 s-line?

Err, no, I mean exactly what I said !

My A3 2.0T S-Line is a vastly better handling car than either of my A4s, both of which were B6 (Sport) models. There was no such thing as a B6 S-Line.

No doubt the B7 A4 is a lot better, but I would be surprised if it handled any better than the A3 S-Line. They have very similar suspension setups, but the A4 has a lot more weight hanging out beyond the wheelbase front and back.

there was a run out model b6 s-line with the 1.8T engine with 190bhp

mrsnow said:
there was a run out model b6 s-line with the 1.8T engine with 190bhp

Yes, you are right. I stand corrected ! :)

Best bet is to go and have a test drive. Everyone has different preferences and priorities with cars.

mfspen said:
Depends on the engine.

Yep, I was on about the 2.0TDi cars. My A3 2.0TDi was very rough, more so than the 150bhp Golf TDi it replaced.