Fog Lamps

jasonmymail

Reaction score
Can anyone who has them please tell me if the housing is a simple clip-in type fitting.

Reason I ask is cause I've ordered an A3 but was too late to add the fog lamps option. It's purely cosmetic and I know they won't actually work but prefer the look with lamps to the vents only set up.

Thinking I could just get the part and swap out the vent for the fog-lamp version, providing the housing/fitment is the same.

Thanks.

The fog lamps are held in with three torx screws, and the grilles simply clip in using tabs.

Here's a close-up pic sourced from Delaware Valley Audi Group (http://www.dvagonline.com):

ryanscamera183.jpg

Thanks BenW - see you've got an A3 SE too.... is the 'non-fog bumper' the same as the 'fog bumper'? Looks like the 'fog bumper' is scalloped to accomodate the lamp - wondering if the SE one is the same shape. Are you going to wire them in or is it purely cosmetic?

The S-Line fogs look really good, wondering if they can be slotted in - do you know MB and would it be possible to get a price?

jasonmymail said:
It's purely cosmetic and I know they won't actually work but prefer the look with lamps to the vents only set up.

If they didnt work then they would be illegal and your car wouldnt be roadworthy which technically invalidates your insurance.

All lights fitted to a car must be in good working order even if they are retro fitted.

co55ie - Not sure that your correct. All the lights required by law on a car must be in working order, but front fog lights are not required by law so a car would not, for example, fail it's MOT if the front fog lights were not working as they are not even checked.

It the same, for example, with a spare wheel. It does not have to road worthy whilst it's in the boot. That need only arises when it's fiited to an axle.

I did a bit of Googling on this.....

Seems that the MOT test is confined to the rear fog lamp + all obligatory lamps. 'Optional lights are not tested'.

Not sure if insurers view it differently tho.

I'll probably try and have them wired up - can't be all that difficult.

jasonmymail said:
Thanks BenW - see you've got an A3 SE too.... is the 'non-fog bumper' the same as the 'fog bumper'? Looks like the 'fog bumper' is scalloped to accomodate the lamp - wondering if the SE one is the same shape. Are you going to wire them in or is it purely cosmetic?
Yep, mine is the same as yours, without the fog lights, and yes the bumpers appear to be the same albeit with different grilles. Like you I'm looking to get hold of a set including the grilles. A couple of months ago I sold the standard 16" seven-spoke SE wheels on my Sportback and replaced them with the 17" Star wheels, and now I'm even more keen to get the fogs done too!

marriedblonde said:
I would guess the wiring is there. But I'm guessing you need a new light switch with the extra setting?

J.
You're right about the new light switch marriedblonde. The SE doesn't have a position in the switch for front fog lights. Fortunately, I've already sourced a light switch from eBay in Germany! The switches are confusing; there are several different types for the 8P (with/without front fog light, with/without rear fog light i.e. for US market) and then there are two different shapes for LHD and RHD models.

By searching eBay in Germany I found a light switch for a RHD car, and not surprisingly I won it for about £1.20 because Germans obviously have LHD cars. Postage was £20 though, but at least I've got it.

The only two things I haven't checked are (a) whether as you say the wiring is already there and (b) if the brackets to physically hold the fog lights in place are inside the bumper. I'm hoping both are true, but with regard to the wiring, it's not all bad news as Kufatec do looms for OE fog lights.

Finally, sourcing the lights and grilles themselves. On eBay they fetch silly money (I've seen as much as £90 for the whole set), presumably because there's people like myself and jasonmymail who want to upgrade, plus Sport/early S-Line owners who need to replace damaged items.

My A3 is also an SE and I ordered with fogs lights from the factory, so if I can help with any information, let me know.

benw123 said:
The switches are confusing; there are several different types for the 8P (with/without front fog light, with/without rear fog light i.e. for US market) and then there are two different shapes for LHD and RHD models.
Watch out, there's also variants with and without the AUTO setting depending on whether you have the light (& possibly rain) sensor pack.

Vertigo1 said:
Watch out, there's also variants with and without the AUTO setting depending on whether you have the light (& possibly rain) sensor pack.
You're right - luckily, the light and rain sensor pack is standard on the SE, and the one I purchased has the AUTO function.

Thanks for the pics BenW - yep looks like a straight swap with a bit of extra screwing.

Going to follow you and get the switch from eBay Germany.

Did you find out if the wiring loom is there? If it is then should be an easy install.

Off topic.... did your 17" alloys make much difference to the ride?

Ta

New car's arrived, looks stunning but I definitely need to get some fogs.

Looked on eBay - some second hand ones for sale but they won't fit the new big grille version.

Married - can you let me know if you can get some fogs+surrounds - S-Line ones would be great!

Thanks.

I am in the same boat.

Bought an SE but the lack of fog lamps is annoying me.

marriedblonde - is that price 'each' or for the pair?

Also, would it be a matter of unclipping the existing grille, replacing that with the fog lamp grille and securing the fog lamp behind?

benw123 said:
Pics Pics Pics Pics :)

D'ya know what, I haven't even had the chance to drive it properly yet, I've done about 30 miles, ****** typical everything happens at once, and this weekend is going to be a large one so reckon on next week before I test it out properly + then I'll take some pics.

Have to say looks stunning - anyone out there hesitating about brilliant black DON'T.... a real head turner especially with the alu roof rails - gorgeous!

Can't wait to put some miles on an see what that 170 can do.

marriedblonde said:
Jason the fog lights and surrounds are £118 plus delivery.

J.

Gorgeous - is that for the pair + defo for the big grille version?

PM me - let me know how to get you the cash....

I have now bought the grills from Audi and the fogs from ebay.

Unfortunately the fogs did not come with the bolts to attach them to the car.

Any idea what size bolts I need? Other than that I am ready to make the swap.

Anyone happen to know the part numbers for a 2004 MY A3 (non SFG) left and right fog lamps? Both left and right lenses have cracked on my car and am looking to replace them.

Many thanks.

MarcQuinlivan said:
or split front grille! :)

But he said "non-SFG", so that would be like a double-negative in this case...

lol at ulot. Hey keep us updated with plenty of snaps on you how fitted it etc when you get around to it.
Unfortunately, one of my fog laps (driver side) has condensation. Is there anyway to get rid of this?

Switch it on and the heat from the bulb should dry it out..

emzino said:
lol at ulot. Hey keep us updated with plenty of snaps on you how fitted it etc when you get around to it.
Unfortunately, one of my fog laps (driver side) has condensation. Is there anyway to get rid of this?

It's one of those things!

SamDude said:
But he said "non-SFG", so that would be like a double-negative in this case...

Not heard of SFG being referred to as 'Split front grille' before, but anywho, yes it is the double front grille.

So P/N's?

You may have to do a Long Coding change too.

The Central Electrics Module certainly has a bit for if front fogs are installed. Byte 0 Bit 0 on my module (8P0-907-279- 21byte module).

Paul

Thanks SamDude. I'll defo try that :)

And I hope it isn't "one of those things" MB =/

P.S. I'll be pm'ing you about those pedals real soon. Payday is approaching :) :) :)