Can I tap CD changer outlet for switched radio power supply?

alfiejts

Reaction score
I'm looking for a power supply that's live when the radio is on, to drive my bluetooth phone kit on my A3 TDi with just the standard Concert 2 head unit.

There's no switched Electric Aerial power output from the back of the Concert 2 radio any more on our new A3s, as the Canbus interface puts paid to that.

At the moment I'm just taking an ignition feed from the fuse box, but I really need a feed that's live when the radio is on whether the ignition is on or not.

I understand that there's a CD-Changer socket behind the glove-box, because I've read that someone used it to create an i-Pod interface.

Before I pull the glove-box to bits to get at it, does anyone know if that (unused) CD-Changer socket would contain a radio-switched power feed I could utilise or is that canbus driven as well?

And even if you don't know if there's a power feed to it or not, does anyone know the easiest way to remove the glovebox for me to get at the cd-changer socket to find out for myself?

Thanks
Graham

Just tap the remote on for the rear/sub amp, denoted as a switch on the 20 pin mini-ISO connector on the back of the HU.

Hmmm. Thanks, I'll try it again, but I thought I'd been through all the outputs on the back of the HU and couldn't find one that became live when the radio was on....

I'll try that pin in particular when I've done all my wife's jobs next weekend!

The amp remote becomes live with the ignition key even if the radio is switched off by pushing the volume control. However it will stay live until the key is removed even if the ignition is off if that helps.

Spot on - perfik!

I just want the bluetooth phone kit to stay powered on, like the radio is, until the ignition key is removed.

That way, I can turn off the engine when I get to my destination without killing a call....