Straight diesel exhausts

Vertigo1

Reaction score
I've noticed that quite a few 2.0TDI S-Lines I've seen have straight exhaust outlets, rather than the usual downturned diesel ones, and have chrome tips on them. At first I thought this was an option that had been added, as I was aware of such things being available to fit yourself, but now I've seen a few I'm starting to wonder.

Does the S-Line come with these exhaust outlets as standard now on the diesels?

I was thinking the same thing. I think all new S-Lines come with them as standard were I think it was an added extra before.

You can't spec the diesels with anything other than down turned ends. A few people hacked the ends off and then used the official audi stick on pipes, but a few of us have gone to Powerflow and got pucker stainless tips welded on which look much better.

You sure about that? I've now seen 3 or 4 diesel S-lines with identical, straight, chromed exhaust tips. I seriously doubt they've all modified them themselves.

Eeef said:
A few people hacked the ends off and then used the official audi stick on pipes, but a few of us have gone to Powerflow and got pucker stainless tips welded on which look much better.
Audi sell stick-on exhaust finishers? Interesting.

Yep. He's sure. My Sep 04 S-Line DSG has stainless steel tips on the ends of the exhaust.

They're not quite "straight through", as they do tip downwards slightly, but only by about 30 degrees.

The would have been standard, as the chap that bought my car new before me didn't specify any extras and didn't do anything to it whilst he had it....

Maybe its a special for the DSG model if some S-Lines don't have them?

Having said all that, when I picked up the car, they were completely black and grubby, so you couldn't tell until I cleaned and polished them.

Maybe all S-Lines or 2.0 TDis are really like that, its perhaps just that there are only one or two saddos like me who take the trouble to clean their tailpipe when they wash the car.....

I also have Powerflow which you can see in my gallery.

alfiejts said:
The would have been standard, as the chap that bought my car new before me didn't specify any extras and didn't do anything to it whilst he had it....

And i'll say it again. Ball hax. He might not have specced them from new, but you can get them out of the Audi accessories catalogue and stick them on afterwards.

I also think there's an eu resolution that states all diesels from the factory must have down turned exhausts to force the particulates downwards, but I'm less sure of that than I am of the rest.

I get embarrassed at the James Bond style smokescreen behind me as it is,without it going straight out the back !

I've also seen a few S-line TDI's with the chrome pipes on, one of my colleagues picker her S-line TDI 170 up 8 weeks after me and she has them but I didn;t get them, maybe its something only for the 170 TDI or the DSG as someone said earlier??

Eeef?
What makes you so sure? if Audi sell the pipes as an accesory why wouldnt they factory fit them on some cars.... Also did you do your own A3 tailpipes then and modify the bumper surround?
I think were talking at cross purposes here....

The reason I'm so sure is because I've been looking at Audis for 5+ years, in particular the 2.0tdi dsg s-line (i.e. what I bought) and have been watching the development of the 8p since it's inception.

They did factory fit the pipes on some cars, but only the petrol ones, never the diesel.

My car has the Votex bodykit which is why the back end looks different. Had the chrome pipes put on to fill the large void that was left once the kit was fitted.

confusionhunter said:
Eeef?
What makes you so sure? if Audi sell the pipes as an accesory why wouldnt they factory fit them on some cars.... Also did you do your own A3 tailpipes then and modify the bumper surround?
I think were talking at cross purposes here....

All Audi Accessories are Centre fit items and not fitted at factory. I can tell you this with 100% certainty as I sell them for a living ;)

Nelson_Wilbury said:
All Audi Accessories are Centre fit items and not fitted at factory. I can tell you this with 100% certainty as I sell them for a living ;)
How much do they cost supplied and/or fitted?

Eeef said:
Go to Powerflow. They look much better & won't corode around the fitting nut like the Audi ones (coz they're welded on!)

I can vouch for them rusting.. I have the tailpipes on mine and when I fitted them the proud fixing nuts went rusty in 2 weeks. I then took them off and hamerite'd them black and they have been fine ever since.

After a little digging. It turns out that the new 170TDi does have straight pipes on the A3. This is because the car has a DPF (Diesel Particulate filter) so it doesn't have to have bent pipes, it also helps with model differentiation.

Aha, I knew it!

Result - straight pipes for me, although cue loads of 140 owners putting straight pipes on to try and make out theirs is a 170 :)

yes - straight for 170 becuase the DPF takes out enough soot to allow it. i really hope 140 owners don't change their exhaust angles to pretend having a 170 cos that's just going to chuck a load of crap right up the noses of children in pushchairs.

benw123 said:

The tailpipes are approx £30 from Audi.

No idea on cost of fitting as I did mine myself.

Someone will probably charge you about 1hr labour to do it as a rough guess.

Hi all, quick question - Is it possible to get the votex tail pipes without having the votex rear valance piece??

I remember reading somewhere that it was only possible to get as a "package".

I'm guessing this are the same tail pipes being mentioned on this thread?

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/002__scaled_600_010_001.jpg
^this is what i meant - img borrowed from vwvortex.com :rolleyes:

ren said:
yes - straight for 170 becuase the DPF takes out enough soot to allow it. i really hope 140 owners don't change their exhaust angles to pretend having a 170 cos that's just going to chuck a load of crap right up the noses of children in pushchairs.

What difference will that make to the output of the car though? The same amount of cr@p is going to come out of the exhaust no matter where it's pointing.

OutLore said:
What difference will that make to the output of the car though? The same amount of cr@p is going to come out of the exhaust no matter where it's pointing.

true. if you put straights on a 140 (nonDPF) it isn't suddenly going to start chucking out more. i think there's a regulation which states something along the lines of diesel exhausts having to point down if they produce more particulate matter than a defined limit. even though pointing them down doesn't cut down on anything, it does mean pedestrians don't get a face full of black smoke if they happen to be in the wrong place at the worng time.

there must be some sort of EC ruling ... can anyone confirm this?! (you know, before you all swap your exhuasts and find at MOT time you have to change them all back...;-)

dickys3 said:
The tailpipes are approx £30 from Audi.

No idea on cost of fitting as I did mine myself.

Someone will probably charge you about 1hr labour to do it as a rough guess.
Thanks for that - might look into it, as I could fit them myself too. Don't suppose you have a part number do you??? ;)

ren said:
true. if you put straights on a 140 (nonDPF) it isn't suddenly going to start chucking out more. i think there's a regulation which states something along the lines of diesel exhausts having to point down if they produce more particulate matter than a defined limit. even though pointing them down doesn't cut down on anything, it does mean pedestrians don't get a face full of black smoke if they happen to be in the wrong place at the worng time.

there must be some sort of EC ruling ... can anyone confirm this?! (you know, before you all swap your exhuasts and find at MOT time you have to change them all back...;-)

If I remember correctly you are correct- however I would imagine that it is one of those rules where it has to be like that from the factory, but not for MOT.

If they really want to make peds less likely to get a faceful - put the exhaust on the other side of the car. But then, we would end up paying more for our cars (again) as there would need to be two different designs for LHD and RHD....

I think I've cracked the "chrome tips" question...

Just picked up a 2006 1.9TDi Sportback courtesy car whilst my 2.0TDI Sline was in the local Audi garage. It looked just like it had two ordinary "black" tailpipes, but I cleaned them up a bit and, sure enough, the tips are stainles steel underneath.

I reckon that all TDIs have stainless steel tips to the exhausts, its just that not many of us bother to clean them enough to keep them sparkling.

And, as the tips only angle down by a small amount (c. 45 degrees), you can still look straight inside the pipe when sat behind the car, so they could give the impression of being almost straight, expecially if they were bright and shiny....

The stainless tips are welded onto the 1.9TDi identically to the tips on my 2.0TDi, so I reckon that all of them are the same.....

Just get the "brasso" out chaps and see what's underneath.....

alfiejts said:
I reckon that all TDIs have stainless steel tips to the exhausts, its just that not many of us bother to clean them enough to keep them sparkling.
I think that's true - I've just found some pictures I took of my 2.0TDI Sportback when I took delivery, and the exhaust tips are stainless (or at least very shiny!) and angled down very slightly.

But they still won't look as good as chrome, nor probably be as easy to clean.

Can post up the pic if anyone wants the proof.

Well all I can say is that my September 2004 S-Line DSG 3-door exhaust has welded stainless steel tips. The backbox & tips are absolutely identical to the March 06 1.9TDI "Sport" Sportback that I've just used as a courtesy car....

Perhaps its the "Sport" trim and above that has the stainless tips, even if the lesser specs don't....

Ah well - I see you've both got Bose and neither of my cars had. Perhaps they delete the stainless exhaust trim option if you choose Bose..... :)