Phantom Black or Lava Grey

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Was originally going to get Brilliant Black on the new A3 but then decided to go for Phantom as I thought solid black would show up minor scratches and scuffs too much as time goes by.

Yesterday, however, I saw an S-line in Lava Grey and it did look nice so I'm a bit torn now.

Decisions, decisions :uhm:

I chose Lava Grey over black, the grey is marginally better at hiding imperfections and dirt but there's not much difference. Just go for the one you like best.

I'd go for phantom black, the lava grey can be too metalic brown imo.

TDI-line said:
I'd go for phantom black, the lava grey can be too metalic brown imo.
Now that's a very interesting observation as I looked around one at the dealer this afternoon and caught myself thinking "is it just me or does that look a bit brown?" a couple of times.

Gonna stick with Phantom Black I think. Mark88, I know Brilliant Black looks totally awesome when it's pristine and clean but it's the showing up of blemishes that worries me.

I don't think you could go wrong with either but I think phantom black looks a tiny bit more special when clean and matches the matt black bits better.

is it like the old volcano, thats what i have on my a6 its half way between black and grey initially i thought what a great idea i want an almost black grey colour so thats perfect, but in hind sight it is a bit of a fluffy colour , yes it hides the scratches but thats because it doesn't have clean colour, deep black or dolphin grey would bring up a much better finish, more what you'd want on a new car. would have dolphin now.

My first A3 was lava grey and I replaced that with a phantom black A3 quattro. Out of the both I preferred the black however lava grey is still a nice colour. In strong sunshine Lava grey can appear to have a brownish tinge.

Indecision. Indecision.

Thought I would share with you guys that this thread made me change my order.

I think the A3 looks great in Phantom Black but having a black one at the mo felt like a change so ordered Lava Grey. On taking a closer look due to the comments made here it does look brown/bronze in a lot of lights which I didn’t notice at the time of the order. It’s still an OK colour but being put off by the hint of brown I decided to change to the Dolphin grey which I felt was a bit safer.

I reckon Audi should delete several of the less popular colours like beige and introduce some new ones.