S-Line Sports Seats

Spook

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 3.2 S-Line with half-leather sports seats without heating (bummer ). Does anybody know whether seat heating can be retrofitted?

Sorry if this is an old chestnut, but I recall it once being said that these seats have the heating elements in them and just require the relays and dash switches to make them work. Is this correct?

I'm still at a total loss as to the point of heated seats.

Yes they may take the edge off a cold seat in the depths of winter but it's only a brief cold shock then the seat warms up and you're sorted.

Sure, if they happen to come with the car "for free" then go for it but I just can't believe people actually pay for this option, let alone care enough about it to try and retro-fit it.

Vertigo1 said:
I'm still at a total loss as to the point of heated seats.

Yes they may take the edge off a cold seat in the depths of winter but it's only a brief cold shock then the seat warms up and you're sorted.

Sure, if they happen to come with the car "for free" then go for it but I just can't believe people actually pay for this option, let alone care enough about it to try and retro-fit it.

Heated seats are a godsend when you've got a bad back....;)

Heated seats perhaps more use when they are cold leather. I had them in a Golf, but to be honest I dont miss them with the half leather seat of the S line.

Vertogo 1 may be at a total loss about them but we have had heatd seats in the golf and S3 and now the new A3 wouldn't be without them.

I have half leather and to be totally honest cos it's nto full leather you don't really feel the cold. I'd save your money and spend it on some better alloys or getting it lowered or something...!

Spook said:
Heated seats are a godsend when you've got a bad back....;)

If you have a bad back,the A3 S-line seats aren't going to help anyway.

Zero lumber support and no lumber adjustment (unlike my previous,pretty basic,A4).

Ah, the heated seats cranked up to full on the way home from a rugby game on a wet and freezing winters day in Lancashire, pure bliss. Eases the aches and pains and bruises - I'm getting too old for it now.

I have electric lumbar adjustment on my SLine Seats aswell as them being heated and find them very comfortable myself

co55ie said:
I have electric lumbar adjustment on my SLine Seats aswell as them being heated and find them very comfortable myself

Yeah,but you've paid extra to make them comfy.
It's obviously too much to expect,standard.
Adjustable (manual will do) lumber support should be standard.
I didn't even check if my seats had it,I just assumed they would on a £24K car with 'fancy' seats.....doh !

I must be one of the very few people who don't like the lumbar adjustment on seats - they always make my back ache :(

Heated seats are one of those things that if you never had them you would never miss them but when you've had them you always want them.

J.

My previous car, a fully-loaded Focus ST170, had heated leather Recaros. I loved the heated seats actually. The trouble with leather is that in winter it's freezing cold, and summer scolding hot, but its worse when cold and the heated option sorts that.

Nice as it was though, with cloth seats there was little point specifying it on my Sportback. With leather however it makes more sense.

As for retrofitting it, I'd guess you'd need to look around the bottom of the seat for a wiring connector to be sure. I saw a full S-Line interior for sale on eBay a few weeks ago, and noticed that coming out from each front seat was a thick wire and connector. The vendor didn't mention anything about the heated option, so maybe as you say they are fitted to all S-Line seats but not hooked up?

benw123 said:
The vendor didn't mention anything about the heated option, so maybe as you say they are fitted to all S-Line seats but not hooked up?

That can't be right,can it ?
So all Audi do,when you specify hundreds of pounds of heated seats,is hook some wires up and fit a couple of switches on the dash ?
Surely everyone and their granny would have spoken about getting 'free' heated seats,if this was the case ?
I don't particularly want heated seats,but if all the gubbins is there and it's just a case of connecting them up,I'll take them !

I agree with a couple of earlier posts. I went for the half-leather rather than full leather because of the heat issue. Not only are they better in Winter as they don't feel so cold, but they also don't get roasting hot in the Summer.

It's completely impossible to sit on full leather seats wearing shorts if the car's been out in the sun for a couple of hours in the height of Summer, unless you have asbestos implants behind your knees. In my Alfa 156 which I had until the beginning of this year (full red Momo leather, very nice) I kept a towel lying around just to sit on in these situations :) I had exactly the same issue with a full spec Vectra too (don't laugh, those were in my company car days, at least it was a 2.5 V6).

Skittler said:
I had exactly the same issue with a full spec Vectra too (don't laugh, those were in my company car days, at least it was a 2.5 V6).

Laugh ?
It's one of the options I'm looking at right now !
There are pre-reg (55 plate) delivery mileage Vectra Sri's,with the excellent GM 1.9 tdi engine (150bhp,as used in Saab and Alfa) going for £8988 OTR !
Absolute bargain.
There are those who will come out with the "but it's a Vectra"
Yeah,but it's £8988 !!!!!!

If I opt out,this is exactly the sort of bargain I will go for.
Half-decent motor for feck all money.

Sounds a bargain to me where are these then?
In fairness a vectra has got better over the years

bowfer said:
That can't be right,can it ?
So all Audi do,when you specify hundreds of pounds of heated seats,is hook some wires up and fit a couple of switches on the dash ?
Surely everyone and their granny would have spoken about getting 'free' heated seats,if this was the case ?
I don't particularly want heated seats,but if all the gubbins is there and it's just a case of connecting them up,I'll take them !
It wouldn't surprise me if it was true. It might be cheaper under some circumstances to mass-produce all the heating fittings inside the seats - after all, each seat will have two elements most likely, for the seat base and back. Remember, the extra loom and switches still have to be added during the build along with the rest of the options, which will be the added expense/profit for Audi during manufacture.

grey99 said:
Sounds a bargain to me where are these then?
In fairness a vectra has got better over the years

It was mentioned in the motoring pull out of The Scottish Sun last week.
They didn't actually name the dealer,but it was probably the usual suspects,like Arnold Clark etc.

Coincidentally,an Sri Vectra taxi pulled up outside the pub on Saturday night,so I had a look and chatted to the driver.
Nice enough trim,especially for £9k brand spanking new,thank you very much !

Keep it a couple of years and what's it going to drop ?
£2K-£3K ?

That sort of depreciation I can live with,no problem at all.

nothing wrong with Vectra's they are good mile munching cars.
And as has been pointed out a nearly new one makes good financialsense and also you get a hell of a lot of car for your money.

Vauxhalls customer service and warranty are better than Audis in my experience :)

As well as the V word, there's also the F word - Ford. Having owned two from new (Puma 1.7 and Focus ST170) before my Sportback, I have to say the cars were absolutely fantastic to own and drive, and the dealer servicing from CD Bramall in St. Albans was second to none.

Haven't had the Sportback back to an Audi dealer yet to compare though ...