I have a manual 2.0tdi for a day or two

Amchlolor

Reaction score
While they investigate the various current maladies with my own motor

Be interesting to see how it compares,as it'll be the first time I've tried this engine and gearbox configuration in an A3 (only previously driven 2.0tdi manual in an A4).

It's a silver 3 door sport,with the ugly 'iron-cross' wheels.
It's a very non-descript thing.
The motoring equivalent of a Dido album.

That's a quality line bowfer! "The motoring equivalent of a Dido album". Very Clarkeson!

It's an 06 plate 2.0tdi Sport SE,with 5000 miles on the clock,to clarify.
It's the same findings as with the A4.
It honestly feels like a different engine.
It feels like you've gained 1000rpm,as you can let the engine rev lower and higher than the DSG will allow.
A far more relaxed drive,as you can hold a single gear for longer,where the DSG would be going up and down like a whore's knickers.
Gearchange is pretty rank like.
I don't remember the manual A4 being so bad.

Suspension wise,I don't really notice a massive difference between it and my S-line.
A wee bit comfier and a wee bit less body control,but not much difference.

The thing that really got me is the Dunlop tyres it's fitted with.
Man,those things are lethal in the wet.
I was obviously mindful of the fact it wasn't my own motor,so I was cornering less enthusiastically than I would in my own,but I still wasn't prepared for the utter lack of grip and ensuing slides.
Wheelspin in third gear too,which is a joke with 140bhp !

If anyone has these Dunlops on their car,you need to change them fast !!!

Oh,I prefer the smooth steering wheel to my one.

bowfer said:
.... The thing that really got me is the Dunlop tyres it's fitted with.
Man,those things are lethal in the wet.
I was obviously mindful of the fact it wasn't my own motor,so I was cornering less enthusiastically than I would in my own,but I still wasn't prepared for the utter lack of grip and ensuing slides.
Wheelspin in third gear too,which is a joke with 140bhp !

If anyone has these Dunlops on their car,you need to change them fast !!!....
The Dunlop tyres are horrendously noisy too.

I had them on my Sportback, and the road roar was ridiculous. The Continentals on my S-Line are near silent in comparison (and they grip properly too !)

Bowfer - how can it be a Sport SE. The Sport is one model and the SE a different model. The Sport has 17" wheels and the SE 16". The Sport has sport seats and sports suspension the SE has neither.

What type of Dunlops were they - I have 16" wheels and tyres and the tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 01s - 205/55R16s and they are OK - but then perhaps I don't throw my car around with such gay abandon as you. There are certainly a lot quieter than the Michelins I had on my last A3.

h5djr said:
....What type of Dunlops were they - I have 16" wheels and tyres and the tyres are Dunlop SP Sport 01s - 205/55R16s and they are OK.... There are certainly a lot quieter than the Michelins I had on my last A3.

The Dunlops on my old Sportback were SP Sport 225/45 R17. The Contis on the S-Line are 225/40 R18, yet they are still hugely quieter despite being lower profile.

It was a sport then,as it had 17 inch alloys.
225/45 R17 Dunlop slipperyasfecks.

Chucking it about with gay abandon ?
That was my point.
The Dunlops wouldn't allow that,in the wet.
They were dodgier than that bloke in a mac,hanging around that school.

I don't rate roadnoise as a consideration in tyres,to be honest.
If the tyres I choose are quiet,that's an added bonus.
Grip is my only consideration,but I don't pay for them !