DSG explanation video

Tiptronic - tastic. Always wondered how it did that!

i dont understand why DSGs are slower then? I dont see that the extra losses over a normal manual can be that much more.... certainly a lot better than previous automatics!

Skittler said:
Er, they're not slower.
They're faster than normal automatic gearboxes and faster than a manual gearchange.

Hence the 0-60 being quicker in an A3 DSG than the equivalent A3 manual, despite the extra weight.

More here :)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/21/video-dsg-vs-6-speed-manual/

Tdi DSG cars are quicker to 60mph than their manual counterparts because Audi have geared them to be.
First,second and third are deliberately geared to give an impressive 0-60 time,and to hell with anything else.
Which is why the car's acceleration dies a death at bang on 60mph,when it changes to fourth.
They have done this,in my opinion,to help sell the DSG as a performance gearbox.

"It's slower to 60mph sir"
"damn.....what can we do ? "
"change the gearing so it gets to 60mph 0.1 seconds faster sir"
"won't that affect acceleration after 60mph though ?"
"yes sir,but it'll look good in the brochures"
"do it"

The actual gearchanges might be quicker than a manual,but not massively so.
Anyone experienced in fast manual gearchanging will only be fractionally slower.
It's definitely faster than a lazy/average driver though.
The sort that makes a concious 'clutch in,change gear,clutch out' gearchange.
You know the sort,we've all seen them.
The sort you can tell is changing gear because you can see the car rise up as they put the clutch in......then nothing for a split second.....then DOWN IT GOES,there we are we've changed gear,well done !
Clumsy drivers,in other words.