VAG-Com troubles...

Ess_Three

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Has anyone had problems getting their car to 'talk' to VAG-Com?

I was trying to re-code a central locking module on a 2 year old A3 last night...and couldn't get the controller to talk to my VAG-Com.

I could access the engine ECU, but it struggled with ABS, Airbags, and most importantly for what I was trying to do...the Central Locking module.

Anybody else had this?
Any ideas?

Glen, silly question I know but have you got the right cable?

The S3 cable is different. you will need one which supports CAN-BUS

Ahh...yes, I have just found that out after digging around in the VAG-Com section...
Surprised I could access some but not others if I have the wrong cable...

No matter, I've emailed Ross Tech asking for a price on a compatible new cable.

Cheers...

I bought a HEX-USB CAN cable last week and it set me back £259.95.

dandle said:

Sod that!
I'll have my mate who is a foreman at a VW/Audi dealership bring the workshop programmer home and he can do it for the cost of a few beers....
I ain't paying £260 for a ****** cable.

dandle said:
Can I ask what on earth made you spend that kind of money on a cable? Is it just to tinker with your own settings? I'd have thought that kind of price could only really be justified if you were in the business of re-programming cars.

Vertigo1 said:
Can I ask what on earth made you spend that kind of money on a cable? Is it just to tinker with your own settings? I'd have thought that kind of price could only really be justified if you were in the business of re-programming cars.

I had a problem a couple of weeks ago when the car stalled in tescos car park and wouldn't start. We called Audi assistance up and then after 15mins it started. After going to the dealer it came up with sporadic fuel pressure event. I've always wanted the cable to change the steering bias so this was a good time to get one then I can keep track of whats happening with the car and know whats wrong(if anything) before it goes into the dealer.

It will also work on friends cars who can give me a little donation if they require and diagnostic help and it will work on the A4 if we decide to buy it.

On a side note changing the steering from the standard 5(more boost) setting to 2(less boost) makes a very nice difference to the amount of feedback you get through the wheel.

Congrats on the new car as well Vertigo1 I didnt get around to saying it in your thread. Cant wait to see pics of it.

dandle said:
Congrats on the new car as well Vertigo1 I didnt get around to saying it in your thread. Cant wait to see pics of it.
Cheers m8y. Decided against the phone kit after all as the dealer confirmed that it couldn't be ordered without the cradle which I really didn't want.

On the one hand I'm happy I got what I wanted but on the other I'm seriously annoyed that I'm going to have to wait three months for it.

Trying to get all the paperwork sorted this week, will be much happier once the order has actually gone in.

Dont worry it will fly by and may come even sooner. Ours was ready in 9(was told 12) weeks although we waited an extra three to get the new reg.

CarigB has been posting on tyre smoke about fitting the bluetooth module without the cradle which is the way I would go if I was you.

I reckon the car will be built in a couple of months but I can't take delivery of it for three as that's when the current lease expires and my car goes back.

As for the Bluetooth, I'll see how it goes but tbh I'm a bit wary of having anything like that done, no matter how competent the installation, as if I have any major issues with the car, especially the electrics, then Audi or the dealer could use it to avoid paying out for repairs under the warranty which could leave me in a whole world of paid with the lease company and my employers.

TBH the phone kit would have been convenient but I'm not a sales rep and don't drive around with the phone glued to my ear so it would only ever have been a minor convenience feature.