Acceptable Delivery Miles!

A3_3.2_S-Line

Reaction score
Car being delivered on Tuesday, it’s been at the dealers for some weeks now while I waited for the new reg to come out. (Audi managed to supply the car 3 weeks ahead of schedule)

Anyways as the cars been sitting at a dealer’s car park for this time I have started to get paranoid that some sales guy may have taken it out for a test drive of something.

So when she comes what sort of delivery mileage would you guys think is acceptable?:sos:

Yeh, depends how far from the dealership you are. Take that into acount and put 20-30 miles on top, more than that and I`d ask questions. it will have been on a road test and will also have been moved around a fair bit, transported etc.

Have a really good look over it for any damage etc. because dealerships always have WAY to many cars parked in them

i think mine had 14 on it,if i remember rightly,and the passat had 7,it was'nt much as far as remember?.

Sorry forgot to say guys, its being delivered on the back of a trailer! :keule:

Mine (lease car but delivered by the local dealer) came with 7 miles on it I think and was also delivered on a trailer. If the car is a factory order and was delivered on a trailer then I'd expect similarly low mileage tbh.

Cars from stock which have been sitting at one or more dealers for a while may have higher mileage as they may well have been used for demonstrations and so forth. Although you can argue that, when taken out for test drives, the car wasn't owned by anyone, personally I have a bit of a problem with such vehicles being sold as "new" when the dealer knows full well that it's been taken out and possibly given a lot of stick by potential customers.

In the case of a factory order, there's no excuse for the car to have any significant mileage on it at all. A factory or dealer road-test to check it over only requires a few miles at most. The only other justified mileage is that incurred by getting it to the dealer, which is basically being driven on and off of the various transporters between the factory and here, which will amount to a mile or two at the absolute most.

Even allowing for some "buffer" mileage, I'd be asking questions if it came with more than 20 miles on it. It might seem petty to the dealer but if there's more than this then I'd want to know why as there'd be a strong possibility in my mind that the car had been taken for a test drive whilst it had been at the dealer for the past few weeks which is utterly unacceptable when it's bought and paid for.

Anyway, what you getting? Spill the spec man! :)

When I got my golf the dealer told me they had the right to deliver it by road upto 250 miles, anything over that and it would be trailered. Not sure what extra miles you would expect other than delivery? Mine had about 25 on it I think and it was delivered by road (dealer is about 10 miles away)

Picked mine up from the dealer - was on 6 miles.

Eeef said:
When I got my golf the dealer told me they had the right to deliver it by road upto 250 miles, anything over that and it would be trailered. Not sure what extra miles you would expect other than delivery? Mine had about 25 on it I think and it was delivered by road (dealer is about 10 miles away)

I've heard this also.

Or if it's unacceptable, get in the car and say nice car, but it's not mine.:blink:

Hi guys,

Ordered my car via Jamjar.com and delivery is def by trailer.

When i bought the car the after-sales guys told me to refuse the car if has more then delivery miles onit.

So can we all agree.

If it's over 20 I should refuse it!?

I was thinking more like, if its over 15!

Cheers

As I said, if there's more than 20 on it I'd ask the dealer to explain exactly why. They'll probably squirm.

Still waiting on the spec... :)

Vertigo1 said:
As I said, if there's more than 20 on it I'd ask the dealer to explain exactly why. They'll probably squirm.

Still waiting on the spec... :)

Whoops sorry:

3.2 V6 Quattro S-Line
Solid - Brilliant Black
18" 20 spoke 2 piece alloys
Black/Silver Fine Nappa Leather
Front heated seats
DVD Sat Nav+
Bose
Light & rain sensor pack
Interior light pack
Front centre armrest

My audi had 11 miles on it and claires B-Class 7 onit. I'd be might ****** if I took delivery of a brand new car with 250 miles on it.

J.

as far as i'm concerend a car isn't new unless you drive it from day dot with virtually no miles on it - i consider virtually no miles as single figures. I remember a guy tellin me onece who used to work for fiat dealership some years ago now) that digital milometres on all new cars have a facility which allows a dealer to keep resetting them as long as they dont go over 4 - in other words a car could have 1,000 miles on it as lonbg as it was reset every 4 miles. As soon as it reached 5 you could then never reset it and it would only go up from there. This gives the dealer the flexibilty to be able to shift the car around etc (lets face it a car will prob do 5 miles while its being made and tested at factory, plus you have on and off ships, lorries, trailers, moved around dealers, to pdi etc) Mine had 7 miles on it i think the day i picked it up which i found acceptable - double figures i wouldn't have been happy - doesn't seem like much but its the principle of the 'new car thing' here

steve184 said:
as far as i'm concerend a car isn't new unless you drive it from day dot with virtually no miles on it - i consider virtually no miles as single figures. I remember a guy tellin me onece who used to work for fiat dealership some years ago now) that digital milometres on all new cars have a facility which allows a dealer to keep resetting them as long as they dont go over 4 - in other words a car could have 1,000 miles on it as lonbg as it was reset every 4 miles. As soon as it reached 5 you could then never reset it and it would only go up from there. This gives the dealer the flexibilty to be able to shift the car around etc (lets face it a car will prob do 5 miles while its being made and tested at factory, plus you have on and off ships, lorries, trailers, moved around dealers, to pdi etc) Mine had 7 miles on it i think the day i picked it up which i found acceptable - double figures i wouldn't have been happy - doesn't seem like much but its the principle of the 'new car thing' here

Audi (and presumably VW) dash pods can be rolled back so long as they have less than 100 (miles I think, could be kms) on the clock.

A3_3.2_S-Line said:
Whoops sorry:

3.2 V6 Quattro S-Line
Solid - Brilliant Black
18" 20 spoke 2 piece alloys
Black/Silver Fine Nappa Leather
Front heated seats
DVD Sat Nav+
Bose
Light & rain sensor pack
Interior light pack
Front centre armrest

Blimey, nice spec.:salute:

shark_90 said:
Audi (and presumably VW) dash pods can be rolled back so long as they have less than 100 (miles I think, could be kms) on the clock.

Yeah I've heard this too.

My first 3.2 had 19 miles on it. Saw it when it had just been delivered to the dealer with all the transport protection on it and it was on 16, so 3 done by dealer - I presume a brief road test and going to fill it up with fuel.

The second one was 13 miles on arrival and another 3 by the dealer.

Can't see any reason why there would be more mileage on a new car than around this if it is a bespoke factory order.

I picked mine up from the dealer and it had 14 miles on it. To be honest I wouldn't except it if it had 100 miles on it, I'd complain if it had 50 on it.

Our Sportback had 9 miles on it, and my ST170 and Puma before it both had less than 10.

Agree with Wilko above - 50 is cause for concern, and 100 is taking the mick. Not sure how the law would apply though in terms of rejecting the car.

My TDi S-line was delivered in March this year from Lloyds TSB Car select, it only had 7 miles on the clock and was transported up from Tonbridge Audi on a Transporter

I don't think I'd have been too impressed if it had had more than 50 miles on the clock, as others have said it's not new then is it!!