A3 1.6 Tiptronic

BK1

Reaction score
I am considering buying a new A3 1.6 auto not having had the chance to test drive one yet as the dealer hasn't located one until next week. I would welcome any comments on the car and what to expect from it. Also if I decide to buy should I buy the Special Edition version or pay extra for a SE or Sport (i.e are they worth the exta £2K). Thanks in advance for your help.

Im from cyprus and the import tax diffenrence here between the 1.6 and 2.0 is about 8.000 pounds, so i choose the 1.6 FSI. I test drive both 1.6 and 1.6 FSI. If you want automatic you have to go with 1.6 but the 1.6 FSI (only manual) is more powerfull and better engine. Or better go with 20TFSI (automatic and manual)

It depends a lot on what type of car you are looking for. I have the SE package on my 2.0TDI and I am very happy with it. Others on the forum much prefer the Sport package. The ride is harder with the Sport package and you get Sports Seats, which personally I am not too keen on. Before I bought my A3 I test drove both a 2.0 pertrol and 2.0 diesel and the diesel was by far the better and more powerful package. The SE eers on the side of comfort and luxury whereas the Sport is a more sporty package with harder suspension and larger wheels and tyres. I drove both the SE and the Sport and preferred the SE. As I say it all depends on what you want from the car.

The 1.6 will not be a particullary powerful car, if anything I would say slightly under powered so there would seem little point in going for the Sport package unless you prefer the look of the larger wheels and want the Sports seats. Do you have a particular reason for going for the 1.6? Others in the range would give you a better power to weight ratio. Also are you aware that the tiptronic on the 1.6 petrol will not be a DSG but a conventional automatic.

h5djr said:
Do you have a particular reason for going for the 1.6? Others in the range would give you a better power to weight ratio. Also are you aware that the tiptronic on the 1.6 petrol will not be a DSG but a conventional automatic.
Totally agree with Dave - a used 2.0TDI would cost the same as a new 1.6FSI, be faster, more frugal, cost a similar amount to insure and hold its value better. As a bonus, DSG is available as an option on the TDI and there are plenty of used examples around to choose from.

agree, the 1.6 is a waste of money, if your driving it day to day part of you will wish you hadn't bought it. diesel would be a far better option , better power and economy..