Volks AutosAH Fabrications

Thread: We have liftoff

6th Gear

Status

We have liftoff

Woohoo, the bosses finally signed off on the new car and told me to "get it ordered then!"

Full spec:

A3 3-door 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
    Brilliant Black
    DVD Satnav Plus
    BOSE sound system
    Light & rain sensor pack
    Interior lighting pack
    3-spoke wheel with audio controls
    Auto-dimming & folding door mirrors
    Electric lumbar support
    Front centre armrest
    Luggage pack
    Reversible boot mat
    Non-smoking pack

I'm rather happy atm. Only problem is I won't get it for three months

2. # ADS
    ADS

Uber Post Whore

Status
    That's a nice company car.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Top Gear

Status
    Cool man wish my boss would let me have a company car like that... or just a company car, that would be nice!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Lord of War

Status
    company cars aren't all they're cracked up to be unless you do mega mileage.

Status
    That's a fantastic spec, especially with the sat nav. If you could add Xenons and cruise control it'd be perfect for me!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeef
    Depends on the car. If you choose one which is relatively tax-efficient then it can work.

My current 2.0TDI costs me a grand total of about 100 a month in tax for which I get a brand new 20k+ car with everything paid for, including servicing, consumables, tax and insurance. All I pay is the tax and fuel for my own mileage.

If the company gave me the money they spend on the car then I'd have to pay income tax on it but would save the 100 P11D tax. Even so, if I were to run the same car myself, once I've taken depreciation, servicing, consumables, road tax and insurance into account there's not going to be much in it.

If, OTOH, you want a less tax-efficient (P11D tax that is) car, such as the 2.0T or even 3.2 then you're going to be better off taking the cash as the tax will kill you.

Personally my main reasons for staying with the company car are that no cash alternative is on offer anyway plus even if it were the gf would never let me spend my own money on something that expensive and would start doing the "buy a Seat instead, it's exactly the same" routine

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    That's a fantastic spec, especially with the sat nav. If you could add Xenons and cruise control it'd be perfect for me!
    Think I'm going to squeeze Phantom Black into there instead of the basic Brilliant Black. Whilst I think the solid black looks stunning when totally clean, I'm concerned about it showing up minor scratches and swirl marks too much as time goes on. Current car is Ebony black so I presume Phantom is very similar if not the same paint under a different name.

As for Xenons and cruise, I don't do enough night time driving to warrant Xenons. Yes I know they're far superior to normal Halogens but for what they cost I'd rather have other options, and indeed have done. Even if the boss turned round and said you can spend another 600 quid (yeah right!), I'd go for the sunroof before Xenons. My current car has cruise (it's an SE so came as standard) but tbh I hardly ever use it. The only time it's genuinely useful is for sticking to 40mph or 50mph roadworks on motorways. In general driving there's just too much other traffic around to be able to stick cruise on and forget it. Given that in the past three years I've hardly used it I didn't see the point of adding it as an option this time.

My company is quite small and so doesn't have a set car policy. Basically every time renewal comes up it's down to the individual to haggle with the bosses for the next car. As with all haggling, you go in stupidly high and anticipate working downwards until they say yes. The above spec was basically my initial "stupid" spec and they said yes!!! :w00t

Status
    Fair points - I like the way you can justify the options you want. Shows you've thought about it. If your bosses think you've specced your car on a whim then email your superiors a link to this thread! LOL
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

6th Gear

Status
    Trust me I spent ages getting it right, including several test drives to make sure I got the right gearbox and engine

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeef
    Really ?
    My car costs me about 150 a month in tax.
    That's the car and all the fuel.
    All my mileage is personal.
    I do zero business mileage.
    The car sits outside the office all day.

The only way I would benefit from opting out is by buying a cheap pile of ****e.

If I want decent/new cars,it's a no-brainer.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3