New S3 in detail

looks good in white
S3new.jpg

This pic caught my eye, you might have missed it you didn't view page 9 of the info

2060828.004.9L.jpg

Yeh looks good there seen the size of the brakes? Cant see how those seats will fold.. the RS4 cab doesnt have them

Those are 18" RS4s btw it seems. No 19's :-(

1455 KG - my god it's a barge, I was hoping for 1380 KG max such a shame

Its really growing on me, i think its such a shame it hasnt got flared arches though!!!

Damn you audi!!!

Agree it looks great in white!!

Adams3 said:
Its really growing on me, i think its such a shame it hasnt got flared arches though!!!

Damn you audi!!!

Agree it looks great in white!!

I'm pretty much in the same mindset. It's growing on me, but the lack of flared arches, exhausts and big wheels is a let down.

I don't think I have the balls to buy a white car. Nor do I think this car is special enough for such a colour?

So uses the letstorquebhp.com calculator I get the following ;-

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 265
Weight without Driver (KG) : 1455
Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 185.05
0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.37
0 - 100 (Secs) : 14.57
60 - 100 (Secs) : 9.20
Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.10
Terminal Speed (MPH) : 98.38
Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 13.70
Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 101.45

Those figures are impressive but with a remap it should see them shattered!!

:no: Not impressed at all :no:

A nicely specced S3 is going to cost the same as a nicely speced new TT 3.2 with the trick magnetic suspension!

Um I think I know which one I would pick!

If full on speed is what you want for the sub £35k mark then you can buy a supercar killer that will put a much bigger smile on your face that no S3 could.

Ladies and gents I present the 'Mitsubishi Evo IX FQ-360' with a 0-60 time of 3.9 secs and able to keep up with a McLaren Mercedes SLR!!!

CB8EC8EDF492F2506AB6C56E2A12B7.jpg

More info here!

FQ340 great car - though running costs very high

Though I'd rather a 6 which you can pick up with 30K miles 10K

Though lets be honest, evo's & scoobs - hardly discrete are they

Looks good in Dolphin Grey too. Shame full leather is yet another extra cost....

I keep looking at the S3 and saying no, no, no...

It really does not make any sense, but each time i look at another picture I want one. @$$@!+@***£$$$@!!!!! nuts! yes, yes, yes.

I have been going through a lot of sportscars deciding I want to spend £28-30K, having nearly brought a Ferrari (308/328 mind!) when i got my S3 last time, the problem of TCO is something I have been back to again this time round (which put me off the Ferrari).

I was on the way from Bristol to watch the Villa on Wednesday and the mate I drove up with has an 18 month old M3 which was £30K. It is a really tempting deal, until it gets wet that is, like it does 50% of the time in this country, and boy oh boy did it pour last Wednesday.

The roadholding of my S3 left him a bit speechless to be honest and I have again reviewed my choice and keeping 4WD which is at the top of the list again this time.

So after a trawl, I am almost back to Audi again. ****** (in a nice way that is). I have a test drive of an S4 next weekend and then off on holiday, where no doubt i'll sit on a beach and talk myself into a new S3...

The problem I still have is, you don't want too big a car as bombing down country lanes is a must! But you only get to do this 50% of the time, the rest of the time you are stuck in traffic, and as barmy as an Evo or Scooby is, that is the point when you look at the lovely plastic dash and wish you had the Audi!

I think my wad is safely in the hands of Audi...

...and it won't be a TT as I couldn't move in the last model, and I can't believe the headroom is any better in this new one...

To be honest, I was almost regretting buying my 2.0T quattro, but reading the specs etc I don't think I could have lived with the new S3.

• Even firmer springs AND shocks? Would make it unbearable on potholed town/city roads.
  • All the decent options add a hefty premium - as already said you are getting into new TT territory
  • Lack of visual cues - again as already said, the standard wheel arches are just lame

Another copy of the 'S3 in detail' article, without all the adds etc, can be found here

Great pictures, the only probelm with any TT is that there are so many of them on the road, which sort of put me off last time (and the fact I couln't move my head backwards and forwards when inside it).

I must see 100 TT's to one S3 easy, and each time I see another S3 it stands out because it is so different, but TT's blend into the background, just like the mini did and so will the new TT a year or so after its ben out.

I really am growing on the S3's looks and assuming the S4 test drive turns out to be not as nimble, am fairly sure I'll have an S3 in spirit blue with full phat recaros and the flat bottomed steering wheel.

It keeps looking better and better each time I see anothr pic.

The whole point of the S cars practicality as well as speed etc. Not everyone can use a small coupe/roadster day to day.. S3 and TT two totally different cars IMO

silver75 said:
The whole point of the S cars practicality as well as speed etc. Not everyone can use a small coupe/roadster day to day.. S3 and TT two totally different cars IMO

That would be true with the old tt, but have you seen the new one, its much bigger. Yes rear leg room is still tight but how often do you use the rear seats in a 3 door A3 anyways?

ab2.Par.0061.Image.gif

tt_2006.Par.0081.Image.gif

See what i mean...:nyah:

I did read somewhere that Audi plan to sell around 75 thousand TTs in the UK next year. Thats a lot of cars, they'll be everywhere..... The S3 should still be quite exclusive.

Regards, John

Looking at the dimensions of the TT & S3 above, I'd say that possibly the TT will out handle the S3

TT looks better balanced with the wheels closer together

Sounds a bit like the original review for the A3 3.2 when she came out compared to the R32. We'll see.

I agree audi TTs are too common and the new one looks very similar to the old one so would give it a miss.

The new S3 is not hardcore enough. A tuned 3.2 A3 would match its performance and be a fraction of the price. Not impressed with the bodykit fit to the new S3 either, it looks poor from the front and too much like the SIEDL front bumper , those angles around the black mesh look wrong to me -

audi_a3_8p_seidl_f.jpg

grey-black-s3-1.jpg

Am sure its a really nice car, on the inside it looks pretty fantastic and it will drive well and be very fast and comfy. It will no doubt be the ultimate hot hatch available in the UK. I just dont like that front bumper!

Cooky

All they need do to the S3 IMHO is just pull the wheel arches out a bit, that would do it for me

I thought the front bumper was the best part. Not too keen on the chrome grille though, honeycomb would have been better and they've used that in the intakes. Really though, it's the rear end where things aren't up to scratch.

The rear arches on the A3 aren't flared enough, and where's the dual sided exhausts? Don't all A3s apart from 1.6's have twin pipes on the left? If you approach an S3 from behind, if it didn't have an S3 badge you wouldn't know the difference between it and an S-line

If the 4Car guy wants a 3.2 DSG then why not just buy that instead of moaning about the S3? It's strange about the turbo lag though, the regular 2.0T is far from laggy. Maybe the engine management still needs some work, even if Audi don't fix it I'm sure a 3rd party remap will.

JeffY said:
It's strange about the turbo lag though, the regular 2.0T is far from laggy. Maybe the engine management still needs some work, even if Audi don't fix it I'm sure a 3rd party remap will.

The turbo lags caused by the larger turbo fitted which takes more time to spool up.

The standard 2.0tfsi is even more linear and even less laggy than standard when remapped to similar power to the S3