AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Side light bulbs on A3 SPORTBACK

Whats the easiest way to change the side light bulbs. Went to the dealer not much other than you have to get your hands right inside the holder and pull the plug. Well you must have bloody small hands then?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Have a look at this thread. There's a lot of discussion plus my own comments, as I've fitted Philips Blue Vision sidelights to match the Xenons on my Sportback.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Neutral

Status
    Thanks i will give that a go but b4 i found it hard to get your fingers in.

Status
    I have read some posts where others have removed the airbox and other ancillaries to get better access, but it is possible with just fingers if you persist!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent

Top Gear

Status
    It is possible to just find the side light cable and pull to change the bulbs that's what I did. And I don't have particually small hands. Getting it back in is the same just find the hole and wiggle it around intil it clicks (yes yes I'm still talking about the bulbs!!).
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko
    It is possible to just find the side light cable and pull to change the bulbs that's what I did. And I don't have particually small hands. Getting it back in is the same just find the hole and wiggle it around intil it clicks (yes yes I'm still talking about the bulbs!!).
    That's exactley what I did to.....
    Black A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport with black Alcantara/Leather, silver roof rails, Symphony II & BOSE, heated seats, storage pack, lighting pack, PIAA chrome white lights and more...

Neutral

Status
    Has anybody tried the LED sidelight bulbs out of interest??

Cheers H
    Black A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport with black Alcantara/Leather, silver roof rails, Symphony II & BOSE, heated seats, storage pack, lighting pack, PIAA chrome white lights and more...

Top Gear

Status
    Apparently they cause issues with DIS thinking that they are always blown.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko
    Apparently they cause issues with DIS thinking that they are always blown.
    Correct - however, I have seen load resistors for sale which you connect across the bulb (i.e. between the 12V power source and an earth point) which overcomes this problem. Have a look at this item on eBay.

I reckon if you work out the exact resistance a standard 12V/21W bulb generates, you could buy a matching resistor from somewhere like Maplin for just a few pence and use this with LED bulbs. Anyone good with maths, or do I have to dig out my old school text books? :D

Top Gear

Status
    Oh right... this would solve that problem and get rid of those annoying not perfect white side lights! Yippee