A3 2.0t S-Line Quattro SE or S3

davieb3

Reaction score
Hi
Just come back from test drive in the S-Line Se quattro at local dealer.
Car was great, if not quite performance of my current car but superior build quality. Dealer can source me a new car within 2weeks with spec i wanted Bose, Symphoney and 20 spoke 18" alloys in either Misano Red or Black.
However he would only offer 6% off list price and also trade value only for my 53 plate Golf R32.
I asked for 10% to match internet price i found. They would not match that and insisted no Audi dealer would

Are they right in saying this or will i be better trying other Audi dealers?

My main dilema is wether to go for new S3 instead with i can take delivery of in Jan 07 but dealer wants £1500 deposit which seems high and no discount and also they cant offer me a part ex price for my R32 for Jan

Which car would be the best to purchase for Holding Value and fun factor?

any help/advice appreciated

First off, he can't possibly know what "other Audi dealers" would offer.

I bought my SLine SE Quattro on 1st August at 11% off list price.

However, you are at the wrong time of year to really push dealers - the best deals always come when business is slow - such as around Christmas or the middle of summer and/or just before the new registrations come out.
At these times the dealer wants to hit his monthly/quarterly volume bonus and is prepared to almost sell cars at cost to do so.

There's no way you will get a discount off the new S3 - it's likely to sell well anyway without discounts.

If you want a car fast and/or are prepared to compromise on your "ideal" spec then call his bluff - show him the money, say you are willing to pay either this month or next for a car he can deliver fast but only for the right money.
If you don't like the deal just ask for his best price for a new car from the factory to your exact spec and try 4 or 5 dealers to beat his price.

Simply put, this is not the best time of year to get a bargain from a main dealer, but shop around for what you can get.

I only got 6% discount on my A3 last year, certain dealers will allow you to walk away and will not go near 10%, so I found out.

No question, get the S3, even with no discount you will make this back in residual value over the 2.0T SE within 2 years.

Defo an S3! I can't help but feel you'd be going a few steps backwards by getting 2.0t S-line Quattro and it's not as if you're going to be driving a shed until January!

davieb3 said:
I asked for 10% to match internet price i found. They would not match that and insisted no Audi dealer would

Keep pushing, they will match it if it the alternative is losing the sale.

My dealer did.

Mine too. Be wary of the S3 though. When the 8L was released you paid a premium for it, and a while later they slashed thousands off the price. Personally I'd be a bit pi$$ed if this happened to me.

mark88 said:
I only got 6% discount on my A3 last year, certain dealers will allow you to walk away and will not go near 10%, so I found out.

Gilders Sheffield would only go to about 3% and watched me walk away and straight into the arms of a dealer that gave me 10% and got the order...

I would save your money and go for the 2.0t quattro Spec ed.

Remap and add an adjustable haldex controller for about £1000 all in and you will have a car that is just as quick and will handle aswell if not better than an S3. The haldex controller has standard, sport and race settings that are in cabin adjustable.

You should be able to get a decent spec S line car for about 22 - 23 k .

You have to decide if you want to spend 30k plus on an S3 which will offer marginal if any performance gains over a midly tweaked S Line that costs significantly less . Obviously you can tweak the S3 but again you would be spending in the regions of an extra 10k .

Obviously the S3 is a new car so discounts wont be available but give it a year or so and they probably will . So you could loose a fair bit of cash by being one of the first to buy.

Personally all the things on the S3 that really distinguish it from the s line you have to pay extra as an option for. 2k alone for the bucket seats and flat bottom steering wheel. Money straight down the drain come resale time.

"They would not match that and insisted no Audi dealer would" - as said, rubbish, different dealers do different things at diffterent times of year and are owned by different groups. He can't possibly comment on other dealers. Get in touch with may be 5 or so dealers, preferably from different groups, probably find 3 will match in my experience. Then email him and tell him you have bought it from one who did match so he needs to update his 'story'!

At the end of the day, most of the internet sites source their cars from UK main dealers anyway.

Remember the salesman is not your friend and will not always tell you the truth, he is there to secure the sale for as much money as possible, that's all.

d3fy said:
Gilders Sheffield would only go to about 3% and watched me walk away and straight into the arms of a dealer that gave me 10% and got the order...

Odd. I dealt with them too.

rich1068 said:
Odd. I dealt with them too.

"Volume Bonus"

Dealers get a big kickback for hitting volume targets at certain break-off points in the year. If you are pushing for a deal at the right time and they need sales for the volume bonus they will discount heavily.

davieb3 said:
Hi
Just come back from test drive in the S-Line Se quattro at local dealer.
Car was great, if not quite performance of my current car but superior build quality. Dealer can source me a new car within 2weeks with spec i wanted Bose, Symphoney and 20 spoke 18" alloys in either Misano Red or Black.
However he would only offer 6% off list price and also trade value only for my 53 plate Golf R32.

Are they right in saying this or will i be better trying other Audi dealers?

My main dilema is wether to go for new S3 instead with i can take delivery of in Jan 07 but dealer wants £1500 deposit which seems high and no discount and also they cant offer me a part ex price for my R32 for Jan

Which car would be the best to purchase for Holding Value and fun factor?

any help/advice appreciated

Hmm! I have a rather nicely speced 2.0T S-line Quattro, and from my point of view the S3 isn't far enough ahead of my car in specification, so I'll probably keep with what I have, however if I was looking from the sidelines I would try for the S3, I can't see it making any more midrange hp than an upped 2.0T, but it would be nice to keep the same momentum at the higher end of the revs as the S3 probably will as it will have a bigger turbo and better intercooler, it's just a shame that the new S3 hasn't got the normal "S" flared arches and the S-Line package is too close to what the S3 will have in my opinion, it's certainly NOT like comparing the 8L 1.8T sport with an 8L S3, now they were a long way apart