2.0 TFSI engine sounds like a diesel !!!!!

co55ie

Reaction score
Has anyone else with a 2.0t powered car noticed that it sounds like a diesel on cold start up ?

Its quite a rattley sounding engine even when warmed up well mine is anyway :blownose:

Anyone else noticed this ?

Yep mine sounds like a diesel for a second or two when you first start it

Yeh, sounds like the noise of hydraulic tappets taking time to pump up?

glad its not just mine .

After a good run open your bonnet and have a listen . The engine still has an almost diesel like clatter to it.

Even worse on my non turbo FSI, it's due to the fact that the engine works in the same way as a diesel I understand. But to be honest not really noticed it on the Tfsi.

Smudge973 said:
it's due to the fact that the engine works in the same way as a diesel I understand.

Why doesnt that surprise me :scared2:

I really hate the noise a diesel engine makes and now I have a wannabe under my bonnet :keule:

co55ie said:
Why doesnt that surprise me :scared2:

I really hate the noise a diesel engine makes and now I have a wannabe under my bonnet :keule:
Classic - I want mine to be a V8.......

I guess it has to be because of the lower compression ratio that turbo'd cars run.

Gotta say I've not really noticed it either, will listen out tomorrow morning :)

I think it's because of the direct cylinder injection, it has two fuel circuits, one electrical from the rear and it also has a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the camshaft end, and they do inject direct into the cylinder which takes an awfull lot of pressure, they also do all kinds of daft stuff like retarding ignition timing on start up to "fire" the cat up quicker

Yeah, I have the diesel clatter in my non-turbo 2.0FSI and it is indeed rather loud on a cold start. I really hate that sound. Also the engine idles at about 1100 rpm the first minute or two and then settles at 850 or so. Is that normal? (My old vectra used to do that too)

synthdood said:
Yeah, I have the diesel clatter in my non-turbo 2.0FSI and it is indeed rather loud on a cold start. I really hate that sound. Also the engine idles at about 1100 rpm the first minute or two and then settles at 850 or so. Is that normal? (My old vectra used to do that too)

Mine does the same, idles high and then drops when warmed up a bit, all cars I've had have done it, think it is becasue of the richer mixture to get it warmed up quicker?

cdb2 said:
Mine does the same, idles high and then drops when warmed up a bit, all cars I've had have done it, think it is becasue of the richer mixture to get it warmed up quicker?

Yeah, it's to "fire" the cat up quicker to meet the emission tests, the cat only works when at a very high temp, hence the quick retarded ignition warm up period of 20 secs?