JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Question Best way to remove stuck on number plates?

I need to replace my number plates. They look to be stuck on, whats the best way to remove these and put the new ones on w/o any damage to the car?

cheers
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Dental floss is the favorite trick.
    New ones should use double sided foam tape or sticky pads. Just ensure both surfaces are properly clean & dry, use lighter fluid or white spirit. Warming up the adhesive with a hairdryer helps.

Administrator

Status
    I had exactly the same problem with my rs4 front plate. It was stuck ALL OVER with that really sticky tape. I just got my fingers underneath one end of the plate and pulled. After pulling the plate off it was like a semi-circle !

I used a combination of my nails, warm soapy water, and a bit of white spirit to get the sticky residue off

Neutral

Status
    WHilest on the subject about number plates - i have new plates due anytime in the next couple of weeks. Whats the best way to attach the new plates? Sticky tape from an auto shop or drill / screw?

CHeers.
    TT ('57) 2.0 FSI: DVD Sat Nav+, Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Bose, Xenons, heated seats, full leather with extended leather pack and a loaded 2GB SD card

Status
    To remove the old plates just get your fingers under them and pull them off. That double sided tape they use can be a right git though so you may find a fair bit of effort is required.

WD40 is very good for removing the old sticky stuff, use and old credit card to remove a lot of the reisdue and then clean it up with a rag and some WD40. You'll need to use some kind of spirit to remove that tho if you plan to stick new plates on.

Personally I prefer to stick the new plates on, not screw them I think it looks cleaner and tidier. The added bonus of this is it is easier to get them striaght. Once you've drilled the plates your kind of stcuk with them if they are on pissed!!!

Halfords sell the sticky tabs for fixing the plates on.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

2nd Gear

Status
    try using some strong fishing line .It wont scratch your car and you can use it to cut through the tape . Then remove the excess with some acetone or similar

6th Gear

Status
    A jet wash. Peel the actual pads off by hand to leave the sticky residue behind then just get a decent jet washer on it and it comes straight off.

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers guys, will have a go at the w/e.

One last question tho, is white spirit ok to use the way mentioned on clearcoat ?
    05/05 Audi A3 (8P) Quattro S-Line 3.2

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeclark007
    WHilest on the subject about number plates - i have new plates due anytime in the next couple of weeks. Whats the best way to attach the new plates? Sticky tape from an auto shop or drill / screw?

CHeers.
    It's personal preference really. I prefer double-sided sticky pads.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Status
    I'd use sticky pads myself...
    Dolphin Grey Audi S3 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_TOBES
    Cheers guys, will have a go at the w/e.

One last question tho, is white spirit ok to use the way mentioned on clearcoat ?
    Yep it'll be fine.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    Yup,brute force and sticky tabs.
    Can't say I ever bother removing the old residue either,as it's hidden anyway.

Ever noticed the amount of cars going around with manky numberplates ?
    Like water/dirt has got between the plastic and the numbers ?
    What's that all about ?
    Jetwashes ?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Top Gear

Status
    Also you can use (dare I say it) Autoglym Tar Remover which rips through stickers and stuff like you wouldn't believe.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

1st Gear

Status
    your lucky
    I brought a brand new Sline few months ago and the back number plate fell off 3 times.
    The really hot weeks we had about 1 month ago caused them to fall off. One time it was at 70 mph and this damaged the black plastic surround of the plate.
    I managed to clean this up and remove it from the basic number plate and stick it back on.
    Then one week later the sun heated the plate up again and this time slowly slipped off and down the rear bumper marking it on the way down because of grit under the tape from the first time.
    I moaned to Audi and they tell me its the norm to stick plates on with tape onto a 23K car.....amazing

Anyway it does work if you use alot of tape like the foam style stuff..
    good luck

4th Gear

Status
    Mine is taped on front but screwed on back.
    Sportback