Developing a problem?

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
I have been noticing that when my car is cold (as in not driving for several hours - not just cos it's cold outside) and I go to pull away in 1st from a standing start I get a feeling like the front wheels have a little spin or judder or the clutch is slipping or something, and it vibrates like a ****** for about 0.5 second then I get enough revs on or the car starts moving. :racer:

Has anyone else seen this or have this problem. I'm sure I'm not imagining it. Anyone have any recommendations to getting it resolved? My dealer isn't close to home to the car would be hot by the time I get there so it's gonna be hard to prove or show. Was thinking about calling Roadside for some assistance?

Maybe it's the way I drive but it doesn't feel good and it doesn't always do (esp when warm) :wtf:

I'm not sure if I have described it quite how I wanted too but any assistance would be gratefully received - as ever.

Idle's fine and when moving it doesn't do it at all in any other gear just 1st.

I took it for a spin down the motorway the other day, it was empty so I floored it and it was fine there as well... I'm gonna have to take it in or call roadside.

I've the same problem after developing on my sportback, booking it in today to get it checked out

Definitely sounds like clutch slip to me.

No problem wilko will do, it's not going in until 24th of August though. When I rang them they said "Sounds like a new clutch kit required" so I hope I don't end up forking for one!!! I don't think the clutch is covered under the warranty........

I hope it is... I was gonna ring um and book it in but it hasn't done it today! Typical! Mines not due for a service for another 11000 miles, but is still under warrenty.

Is it possible for a clutch slip to come and go?? I hasn't done it for a coulpe of days now until this morning it did it once.

If it's a clutch actuation problem,rather than the plates being worn,I suppose so.
If the plates are worn/contaminated with something,I think they would slip all the time.

Hmm could be but mines a build week 9 (WC 28th Feb) 2005. 05 plate. So this seems like it could or should have been fixed by now.

MB its mid 2005 with 25k on it, I always thought that the brakes and clutch weren't covered under warranty?

You should be ok with the clutch.

Brake pads and discs are under warrenty but it depends. Claire had hers replaced as they had really badly corroded which wasn't considered normal. She did have to pay for the pads though.

A clutch going in 25K isn't considered normal either!

Have you checked to see if the linkage is sticking ?

Mine started to develop odd problems that felt like clutch slipping, dealer took it scratched head, rplaced clutch (very worn sir!) at 16,000.

That made it worse, turned out needed new gearbox.

All fixed now.

I don't drive it that hard!!

It was doing it again this morning, seems to be mainly when the car is cold and it's below about 14 degrees outside - odd yes I no.

Gonna ring the dealer and sort out dropping it off for them to have a look, I no they wont be able to find out, just like the knocking suspension!

Just booked the car in for next Tuesday. They are keeping it overnight to see what it's like 1st thing in the morning when it's cold. Hopefully they'll sort it but the guy I spoke to was a little confused and had never heard of this problem before.

Hopefully get a nice courtesy car as well!!

Courtesy car......... you'd be lucky to get courtesy from an Audi dealer in ireland in the first place.........

The problem with mine was very similar. In the cold it wasmuch worse, after it had been driven and warmed up it was much better. It was all replaced under warranty including the clutch. This sounds like a problem somewhere on the drivetrain to me.

It would have to have been driven very hard to break a gearbox at 16,000; I suspect it just broke.

Don't let them fob you off though

If I get crap from them how do I stand with calling Audi Assist and then saying that the dealer wouldn't do anything about it? Any previous experience with these types of problems with dealers would be helpful just incase.

I was fobbed off with the knocking suspenssion thing, they rekoned it was the air in the fuel tank knocking. It's still doing it now but not as much as it used too.

Maybe I've just got one of those faces! :sorry:

I'll kick off this time tho cos this actually feels wrong...:gun2:

yeah my dealer didn't have a scooby when I took mine in, initially the installed a "software patch", which i took to mean they''d changed the ecu code. Dealer had taken it for a test drive and it "was fine". Drove to work the next day and same problem. Dealer picks car up from work and takes it away again. When I initially rang them they said it was the clutch and were in process of replacing it, although no mention of me paying for it (as I would have had a duck fit). Then when I rang them later I was told that it was much worse with the new clutch and they were ordering me a new gearbox, after they had scratched their collective heads and the heads of Audi UK.

It seems to me that as cars get clever, the mechanics get stupider (bit like my profession actually). They rely on a test or computer to tell them whats wrong. Gone are the days when you could drive up to the garage to be greeted by the mechanic who had heard the car drive up the road and could diagnose it there and then. My god now I feel old.........

Wilko, just had the car in today, they're ordering a new clutch kit and flywheel, can't figure out why they're replacing the flywheel though, still havent fixed the creaking steering either!! It's to go back in again next week so I'll get back to you with the story then

Cheers tibbs. Was your problem intermitant, happened when cold not when hot? I'm gonna ring and say that "a friend" (i.e. you) had the same problem. What dealer did you take it too?

No problem Wilko, it happens when cold it kinda shudders but all the time the clutch seems to be snatchy and the gearbox is kinda notchy which it wasn't before, it used to be silky smooth. As for the dealer its Frank Hogans in Limerick, there's one good service manager there and the other is a clown IMO of course!! Depends on how lucky you are which one you get!!

Well... cars bin on over night and they've taken it out for a test drive this morning and guess what... yes you guessed it they can't recreate the problem. I think I've been fobbed off. Not very happy, but then on the drive to work this morning from the dealer it didn't do it either. They said to leave it til it gets colder so we can recreate the problem without trying cos without recreating it they can say what it is and they can't or wont just strip out the gearbox and/or clutch/flywheel cos it might not be that thats the problem. I'm now not sure what I should do... any thoughts guys??

When mine had a problem I got the audi tech guys to come and pick it up. This seemed to get round the fact that after it was driven to the dealer it got better when it warmed up.

Like tibbs my gearbox had become clunky, and at time difficult to slide into gear. Then i got the slippping problem then I got the new gearbox....

Got the car back on Friday and it's as good as new, no shudder and the notchyness is gone from the gearchange hopefully it'll stay that way!! By the way they weren't too surprised by the fact that it needed a new clutch, they gave me the impression it's commonplace with the 8p!

Shudder and creak are back, going to ring them tomorrow they can keep in until its fixed

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this morning it did this judder type thing quite bad. So I decided to have a play. I turned off the ESP and yes you guessed it, it didn't do it again! Turned it back on again about 5 miles down the road and although it didn't do it, you could feel the difference.

The cars going in next Thursday for my cooland loss problem, so I'm gonna ask them to have another look. Making a mental note of everything that has already been said in this thread.

Just wondered if anyone else had done this or if there was a reason why ESP should make any difference.

Is it not just wheel spin? I felt this when I test drove a new Golf GT (170TDI) before I got the A3 and decided there and then that I needed 4wd - hence the quattro.

A combination of slip-stick friction at the wheel in marginal and ESP trying too hard? Does the ESP symbol flash?

It's got a name I had to look up - Axle Tramping.

Traction with powerful turbo diesel front wheel drive cars is becoming something of a growing concern. Yes, it is possible to introduce a traction control system to help marshal the turbos spiky rush of torque, but its only a partial cure. When pulling sharply out of a wet T-junction, traction control can dampen the power to such an extent that you have very little drive left to play with. The alternative, axle-tramping wheelspin, isnt any better.

No ESP doesn't flash. Axle Tramping?! But this happens when there isn't much power on at all, and it does it when there is loads of power or hardly any.:wtf:

Engine/car is cold - so are your tyres.
It'll be torque that breaks traction not power, it's a TDI so this could be 1500rpm. Ideally you need someone to watch you.

If you can replicate it again and again in the same spot trying taking some pressure out of your tyres...

My wifes Touran 2.0 TDI had a problem with clutch judder only when cold. Turned out to have a problem with the fly wheel, which was replaced as part of a recall.

Hope you get it sorted

Chris.

I wonder if the golf i tested was ******** too? Anyway it was a good excuse to get the quattro!:)