AUTO DIPPING MIRRORS

grey99

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the auto dipping mirrors function is software or harware modified?

Reactions: robert97r
in what way?

The actual auto mirror is wired in and contains a light sensor. AFAIK its on all the time the engine is started, so I wouldn't have though the ECU needs any adaptation to enable it. I'd have guessed its wired in to the courtesy lights somewhere.

The auto dippers (side and rear view) are both a software and hardware modification (and not an easy retro if that is where this is leading...)

Yes i was just wondering if it was software only. Therefore just go to a dealer and get it done.

Sorry to sound like the biggest NOOB around, but how exactly do you get this option?? Does it come with the parking sensor?

I never saw it as an extra, when making the order...

grey99 said:
Yes i was just wondering if it was software only. Therefore just go to a dealer and get it done.
Well I presume the mirrors work in the same way as the auto-dimming rear view mirror, in that the glass actually darkens (well goes greenish). I believe this is does via a liquid crystal layer which has an electric current passed through it.

In other words, the mirrors aren't physically "dipped", i.e. moved by the motors, which appears to be what you're assuming when wondering if it's a software mod only :)

__DyNaSTY_X_ said:
Sorry to sound like the biggest NOOB around, but how exactly do you get this option?? Does it come with the parking sensor?

I never saw it as an extra, when making the order...
It's on the price list, available either as Door Mirrors - auto-dimming at £145 or Door Mirrors - auto-dimming and electrically folding at £260

The auto-dimming rear view mirror is standard fitting on SE models and a £190 option on other models. The auto-dimming door mirrors are on £145 option on all models.

I have an SE model and find both options very good indeed and would certainly order them again on my next A3.

If required the auto-dimming rear view mirror can be switched off with a small switch on the actual mirror itself. I personally would have thought the auto-dimming rear view mirror was a self-contained unit with only the requirement for power from the main car. The sensor that decides to dim the mirror is built-in to the mirror itself. The mirror unit also has the sensor ,where it attaches to the windscreen, that controls the automatic wipers and, I believe, the auto lights-on function but I am assuming that a new mirror could be fiited and function purely as an auto-dimming mirror. I would have thought that the door mirrors work in a similar way as self-contained units. I would ask your dealer and see what they say.

Well to be fair the £190 is for the whole light & rain pack, not just the RVM :)

My SE only has the auto-RVM and auto-headlights, the rain sensor was added afterward. The loan car I currently have has this though but I'm damned if I can work out how the controls work. Care to shed any light?

Are we talking about the rain sensing wipers ?

If so then you just move the wiper stalk to the 'intermitent' position and the wipers will start to work when there is water on the screen. The small slide switch on the wiper arm, that would normally control the intermitent interval controls the sensitivity on the auto wipers.

If were talking about the door mirrors, they just dim fully automatically whenever the pick up headlights bethind you. No control by the driver at all.

The topic seems to now have gone to auto dimming mirrors , i was talking about auto dipping mirrors that dip when you are reversing.MY car already has auto dimming mirrors.eeef had it right in the beginning

Vertigo1 said:
It's on the price list, available either as Door Mirrors - auto-dimming at £145 or Door Mirrors - auto-dimming and electrically folding at £260
I understood "electrically folding" As in when you park the car/turn off engine, ive seen some cars (bmw 5/7 series to be precise) fold the door mirrors upwards/inwards so they don't stick out like in normal driving position.

That description on the list in no way hints to auto dipping (when in reverse) mirrors...

Anyhow great to know, next time I buy an Audi i'll be sure to find out all the little hidden options not mentioned. :blownose:

grey99 said:
The topic seems to now have gone to auto dimming mirrors , i was talking about auto dipping mirrors that dip when you are reversing.MY car already has auto dimming mirrors.eeef had it right in the beginning

Um....I might not have done actually :keule:

I was talking about the auto dimming rather than dipping. Dipping isn't available as far as I know?

It has, and has been for quite a while, but only as a package with electricaly-adjusted seats. Without the seats' control module, there is no coding to DIP the mirror when selecting reverse.

Some more input for you guys... :)

When the driver seat memory is installed, the dipping works fine. If it isn't installed the door control parameters are not set up to store a fixed position, if one changes that, they will dip fine to a pre-definied value. VW announced that for MY 2007 and it is possible in the Audi A3 too. FWIW, there is no way to activate this with a normal diagnostic tool right now (neither VAG-COM or the dealers VAS 505x could do that), but my guess is as soon as the new door control modules are out and/or software updates are out it's just a question of replacing or updating the modules.