My first fault!

mandyray

Reaction score
After nearly 10 months and 11k miles I had to take my car into Audi for the first time because my dash was falsely telling me that my bonnet was open! On first diagnosis they thought it was a faulty switch/sensor but have now discovered that it is a wiring problem and need the car for a day to locate and fix. Thank god it's under warranty!

Seems strange to me that something like this should suddenly fail but what do I know! It wouldn't be anything to do with the Bluetooth or iPod kit I had fitted a couple of weeks ago, would it?

I wouldn't of thought having the ipod kit in would make a difference, but you never know what they may of done, and it does seem strange that its happened afterwards. It would make sense if they were fitting an alarm or something similar though. Maybe worth a call to the place who fitted your ipod stuff ?

missm said:
It wouldn't be anything to do with the Bluetooth or iPod kit I had fitted a couple of weeks ago, would it?

VERY likely - on a newish car it's pretty improbably that it would suddenly develop a wiring fault. A sensor would be more likely.
I'd wager that they disturbed some connection behind the dash while installing your kits.

Oh dear, I hope that doesn't mean that the warranty won't cover it?

Simple solution, don't tell them :biggrin:

Yes I thought of that but how do I explain the wire for the iPod and mic etc for the Bluetooth kit? If they ask I'll just say it was fitted months ago and keep my fingers crossed.

Actually I've just had to call Audi back because the alarm keeps going off now. So they now want it tomorrow for a couple of days... hope I get a nice courtesy car. RS4 please! :wink: :rolleyes:

missm said:
RS4 please!

rofl !

I would also not tell them, tell them its been there for ages.

Deffo sounds like they've messed something up if the alarm keeps going off, mind you it may be thinking the bonnet's been opened after the car was armed

People complain like made if a dealer tells them any lies about their car but there quite happy to tell lies to the dealer. Strange standards !

h5djr said:
People complain like made if a dealer tells them any lies about their car but there quite happy to tell lies to the dealer. Strange standards !

Although I agree with you - there is a difference between just not telling them something and lying to them....

However if the problem happened straight after the Ipod kit was installed then take it back to whoever did that - they should also have a warranty for mistakes they have made....

Only the one fault? Here's the current list for mine after 2.5 years:

Front armrest catch broken twice (lid replaced each time)
Glovebox damping broken (lid replaced)
Cracking noise when closing both front windows (regulators replaced)
Split in driver's door armrest (entire armrest replaced)
Creaks/rattles from overhead console and driver's seatbelt height adjuster (dismantled and put back together)
Aircon compressor pulley squealing (whole compressor system replaced)
Squealing from brakes when *not* applied (all pads and discs replaced)
Radiator fan refused to switch off (spent two nights with battery disconnected to stop it going flat then cured itself before I could book it in)
Once drank a litre of oil in 500 miles (dealer found no cause)
Stereo has "crashed" twice (once had no sound at all, other time wouldn't play CDs - ignition off fixed both times)

And probably a few other things I've forgotten!

I certainly agree that if the problem occurred after someone else had done some work on the electrics you should go back to them first.

If you do have to go to the dealer I think it only fair to mention that someone else has been working on the car and what they have done. At least they would know where to start checking the wiring.

When the do start checking it will soon be obvious that someone else has been doing something with the wiring - better to say so up front.

I'm not lying... they've already had the car for 2 hours yesterday so I would have thought they'd spot the kits already. I'm just not bringing it to their attention! :whistle2:

Anyway, I've been given a A3 Sportback 2.0TDi manual and I think it's horrible. It must be the base model judging by the wheels, stereo and lack of A/C. The engine seems more noisy than mine but the brakes are much better! It's also suffering from the most annoying rattle which I think Bowfer will be familiar with!

Lack of A/C!? I thought even the base models had aircon, although not full climate like the Sport & SE.

The 1.6 and 1.9TDI Special Edition models have manual air-conditioning but the base 1.6 and 1.9TDIs have just normal heating. All other models have the Electronic Climate Control as standard.

In Germany air-conditioning or electronic climate control is an extra cost option on ALL models together with a lot of the other options we take for granted. When Audi UK decided which models and to what specification to import the decided to have quite a lot of 'goodies' as standard, presumable to justify the price.

This is a base '06 2.0TDi but there's definitely no A/C :confused:

Just had a call from the dealer... my car is now ready to pick up. The problem was down to a badly fitted battery housing which had been crushing some wires since new.

Will they have given it a clean for me?

If you are lucky they won't have given it a clean for you - most of us request they don't.

An Eastern European with what looks like a broom and bucket is not my idea of a clean but it's what you invariably get. Btw, when the 'broom' is not in use it rests on the tarmac before being dipped again in the bucket and put on your car. Yours is silver but if it were black you wouldn't even want them looking at it!

From what I've seen, the service wash is a different person to the one who valets and preps new cars for customers or showroom.

My advice is avoid the free service wash unless you like swirls and scratches.