2.0T SLINE WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT MPG?

grey99

Reaction score
Just bought a 2.0t sline manual what would you expect from a full tank (£50 worth).
Car is lovely but not that impressed with the mpg only had a golf and a3 diesels before not used to these petrol ones?
Tank was full done a 90mile trip then mainly around town.

Theres a bit of a change from a diesel turbo to petrol turbo, the fuel consumption would be more. I get about 230 miles driving locally in my 2.0T but its been revo'd and im abit of an aggressive driver at the best of times, on the motorway i would get about 320 miles, at non-boring speed.

Well best MPG I got was yesterday was 51MPG. I was driving like a granny though.
Normally get about 35MPG or so, mostly motorway though.

You must have been driving like a granny to acheive that!!!!
Thats in diesel figures.
I am getting 25mpg from 90 mile trip and round town,
But this is with 95 ron unleaded going to try optimax next.
Anyone want to swap for a diesel?

My "computer 2" normally says around the mid 29's (thats an average over many weeks) it does seem to struggle to get much the other side of 30 even on a normal run, to get it to 35ish it needs to be treated real easy........

Grey99,
Is your car FWD or Quattro?
If its Quattro, expect around 22-23 round town and 32-34 on a run.
FWD, add on a couple of mpg to both.

I'm also getting a 2.0T (FWD) in Sept to replace my 2.0 tractor.

When I test drove the 2.0T, I did about 20 mins low speed crawling in traffic, and about 40 mins blasting on country lanes and dual carraigeways. At the end of the test, the DIS showed 34mpg.

BTW, the 2.0T is in a completely different league to the TDI, in every respect, with the exception of fuel consumption. My TDI is a nail in comparison, and I can't wait to get rid of it !

Whats your tractor then?
I have had both an a3 tdi 140 sport and a mkv gttdi, been pleased with both.

grey99 said:
Whats your tractor then?
I have had both an a3 tdi 140 sport and a mkv gttdi, been pleased with both.

Sportback 2.0TDI Sport

I find the engine dreadfully dreadfully unrefined (hence tractor). Constant thrumming, buzzing and rattling. It also has a very narrow torque band from 2000 to 2500rpm, which makes driving it infuriating !

Must have been mad to buy it !

Power band of 2000-2500k? Theres something wrong with your car! Mine before being chipped pulled all the way to the red line! Ok I agree there's little below 2K though.

I agree (2.0TDi 140), i took one out for a test drive and took it back after 10mins because it was just like driving a tractor. My parents have just bought one and its total different, not really noisy and seemed like a nice drive.

MPG will improve over time also, first 5k it was low 20s now (7k) it mid 20s

marriedblonde said:
Power band of 2000-2500k? Theres something wrong with your car! Mine before being chipped pulled all the way to the red line! Ok I agree there's little below 2K though.

Ah, torque band not power band.
If you look at the curves, the torque is down to about 70% of max at 4000rpm.
I find the cliff face torque characteristic below 2000rpm really annoying. If you happen to be in the wrong gear, even by just a few 100rpm, you boot the throttle and wait, and wait, and wait.....

I even took it back to Heritage Audi to have it checked out on their diagnostic machine. Report was normal. Went out for a road test with their chief techy, and he admitted : "Yes they are all like that, a bit rough below 2000rpm, before the turbo kicks in" And he's not kidding ! F*** me !

We have a 2.0t Quattro and get around 24-25mpg with my wife driving it around town. Motorway runs arent very good as the sixth gear ratios seem to be very short for cruising at 90ish(get around 26-27mpg@90-100mph three up and no luggage). A comparision is My Volvo T4 which will return about 33mpg with four up and luggage at the same speed(much higher fifth than the sixth in the Audi).

Also have to add the Audi only has 4.5k on it so it should loosen up more.

Got 25 mpg out of a full tank and this was not all town driving.
Now filled up with optimax why not give it a go