Volks AutosSky Insurance

Thread: 3.2 1/4 times

Neutral

Status

3.2 1/4 times

Has anyone taken thier 3.2 to a track and timed there 0-60 / qtr mile ?

According to MSN the 1/4 mile is 15.2 which seems a tad slow considering the Leon Cupra R does it in 15.0 and that has 25BHP less power and is FWD.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Well, the Cupra is a lot lighter...

Also, were both cars run down the 1/4 the same day, by the same driver using similar launch techniques?

There's a topic up on the fourtitude forum where DSG 3.2s were doing 15s in the 1/4, and chipped 2.0T 1/2 a sec less. The relatively bad times were blamed on very high levels of heat and humidity.
    Ben.
    '05 A3 3.2 MT6 /// KW Variant III - GenII Haldex Performance Part - H&R sways - TST Stressbrace - VF-Engineering full mounts - 17lb 8x18 Neuspeed forged wheels - CG Lock - Ross Tech

HPA FT450 turbo installed, with world's best Torsen front diff: www.peloquins.com

Every day's a track day ;-)

6th Gear

Status
    What sort of speed are we talking about at the end of the 1/4 mile or 15 seconds ?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Neutral

Status
    The MSN website claims:-

Audi A3 3.2 DSG 1/4 mile 15.16 @ 94.7mph

Whilst Santa Pod Actual Time
    Stnd Cupra R 1/4 mile 15.2 @ 93mph

The Cupra R is lighter by 180kg but BHP per ton is 163.5 compared to 169.8 for the 3.2.

Taking into account the 0-60 time of the 3.2 is 1/2 second faster than the Cupra R I am suprised that the 1/4 times are almost identical.

Thats why I originally asked if anyone had taken their 3.2 on a 1/4 mile sprint as I have no idea where MSN have got these figures from but I know the Cupra R figures are actual recorded times from santa pod.

1st Gear

Status
    try it with the launch control :wink:

6th Gear

Status
    15 seconds to 94 mph.
    Hmmm...
    Damned sight better than the 26 seconds my car takes,but still not great.

Neutral

Status
    Oh well, I guess most audi drivers do not do 1/4 mile sprints, as mentioned previously I am new to audi and used to VW & SEAT where loads of people bring their car's to RWYB days.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-L
    used to VW & SEAT where loads of people bring their car's to RWYB days.
    You mean people pay to take 15 seconds to get to 94 mph ?!?!?
    God,I've finally found a worse spectator sport than golf...

;-)

Neutral

Status
    I have had the chance many times at Santa Pod .. but to be honest i would have fallen asleep half way down the strip :lol:

Not saying my 3.2 DSG is boring at all :lol: just a peice of engineering that dosent require revving it to bits and cooking your cluctch on the start line :lol:
    Impreza WRX, Impreza Type R, Impreza WR1.Audi 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Track Days in all of the above.

Neutral

Status
    Tried a couple of 0-60 runs today, admittedly only with a stopwatch so not totally accurate but it gives you an idea.

6.47 allowing the speedo to read 65mph
    6.10 stoping the watch at speedo reading 60mph
    5.59 lifting of the break, allowing the car to start moving without touching the accelerator and then starting the watch once I put my foot down.

Obviously all done in "S" mode but suprisingly with ESP still on.

S_Line I can see what you mean about the 3.2DSG being a bit dull on the strip but I would like to know what 1/4 time it would achieve and what the 0-100 time is, I looked in EVO magazine and the 0-100 time is not listed.

Neutral

Status
    0-100 would be interesting as i would not believe it would be fastest is left in S mode, as S mode lets the revs hit the red lines everytime loosing power.

Would be a good comparison to do a 0-100 in D, then S, then Paddles.
    Very interesting ...............
    Impreza WRX, Impreza Type R, Impreza WR1.Audi 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status
    Is there anywhere in the country that you can do a controlled 0-100 test legally ?
    As I mentioned I am considering going to a RWYB event but you would need at least 6 runs to try all the combinations that the DSG gives you.

It would be nice if you could get together with someother car owners and have a runway all to yourselves for the day.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Line
    0-100 would be interesting as i would not believe it would be fastest is left in S mode, as S mode lets the revs hit the red lines everytime loosing power.

Would be a good comparison to do a 0-100 in D, then S, then Paddles.
    Very interesting ...............
    I did a series of 0-100mph tests in my car one night.
    Deserted 1/2 mile straight with no houses and no junctions near my house.
    I tried loads of connotations.
    Fastest was always just flooring it in S-mode.
    I use the word 'fastest' in it's broadest sense though,as my car still takes a mind-numbing 26 seconds to get to 100mph.
    I know it's a Tdi,but it's still sloooooow.

Neutral

Status
    i would expect a chipped 2.0 TDi to be the same as a 3.2 to 100mph. as the torque is the powering factor to the 100

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Line
    i would expect a chipped 2.0 TDi to be the same as a 3.2 to 100mph. as the torque is the powering factor to the 100
    I doubt that very much.
    Simply chipping a 2.0tdi will knock 10-11 seconds off the 0-100mph time ?
    No way,just no way.
    I simply will not accept that until I see proof.
    FAR too big an improvement.

Status
    I ran my car on the quarter at Gti international... What was yours standard to 100? 26 secs?

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Status
    Just found my results.

With 2 people in the car (approx 29stone/185kg), 3/4 tank of fuel and a boot full of cleaning kit and 2 coolers full of water tha car ran a 16.4 quarter and a 0-62 dash of 8.6.

On my own those figures where slightly better. So I'd say a standing dash to 100mph is going to be in the region of 18secs.

J.

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    Just found my results.

With 2 people in the car (approx 29stone/185kg), 3/4 tank of fuel and a boot full of cleaning kit and 2 coolers full of water tha car ran a 16.4 quarter and a 0-62 dash of 8.6.

On my own those figures where slightly better. So I'd say a standing dash to 100mph is going to be in the region of 18secs.

J.
    That's interesting,as your 0-60 dash is more or less identical to the standard car,(I found it to be around 8.6 seconds too) so the chipping obviously doesn't come into it's stride until over 60.
    What speed were you doing after the 16.4 seconds ?
    If you reckon 18 seconds to 100mph,I'm willing to believe that.
    I certainly believe an 8 second improvement more than a 10-11 second improvement.

Status
    I've been trying top find the stupid timing slips, I'm sure I chucked them in my desk but more than likely through them out in shame!

Those figures came from the inters web site results page and they only included my first run which was the slowest. Subsequent runs where better and the initial dash closer to 8 (8.1 being the best) but the only one I have documented is above :D

Getting the car off the line is a pain with DSG, as you well know. That sprint time above was the worst of the day as I let first gear rev out. On the following runs I changed up at around 3500-3800 which makes a massive difference. Unlike the standard car if you don't chage in the mid 3K's you fall out of the sweet spot. Also as soon as boost builds you need to feather the throttle as it just lights up the wheels in first and second. But I think I am teaching my granny to suck eggs here!

On one of the better runs my trap speed, I think, was 94 or 96mph but don't quote me until I can find my slips!

But not 16 secs 0-100... I could get always get out my racing driver excuse book - it was hot, car was full of fuel, I am too heavy, the sun was in my eyes...

J.

Neutral

Status
    when the ole 3.2 went back early this year for repairs, they lent me a 2.0 Tdi, and it was surprisingly rapid from 60 - 100 it just kept pulling, this is what leads me too believe there wont be buch difference compared to the 3.2 and the 2.0 TDi to 100 mph

Status
    Once up and running they are very rapid, it's the getting it up and running thats the problem. I'd say from 30mph onwards it's a different story.

One of the reasons I went for the 2.0Tdi was because I had to thrash my R32 to beat one from 60-1x0 on the motorway.

I think I need to do some standing starts to a ton no my way home to get some figures.

J.

6th Gear

Status
    As I have said before,I think gearing is part of the problem with the 0-100 time of the Tdi.
    They have definitely,without question,geared the DSG Tdi so that it's 0-60 is quicker than the manual (to help sell the gearbox),so first,second and third are quite short and closely spaced.
    The trouble comes when you change into fourth (at more or less bang on 60mph.)
    The car just dies a death and simply does not have the power to pick itself up from it.
    The acceleration figures say it all.
    Under 9 seconds to 60,but another 17 seconds on top of that to get to 100mph,is dreadful.
    Once you're in top and cruising though,like on the motorway,it's in-gear acceleration can surprise a few motors,but only if they don't change down.
    If they do change down,they'll sail past you.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 9th August 2006 at 15:10.