S3 - First official Pics

I do like it. Heading for the dealers tomorrow clutching my hard earnt £1500.....

kak said:
Not more pictures, just cropped ones from the three originals! ;)

u dont have to zoom into the pic. cheers :rockwoot:

So its 25 mm lower than a std A3, it's got 265bhp,chrome mirrors,xenons,oh and a new steering wheel,aluminium inlays, sorry to sound sarcastic but Ialready have most of that..........

mark88 said:
The problem is though, we all saw this exact same car a few weeks ago in yellow and red, the only difference being it had S-line badges. In those pics it didn't look so hot. :-(

Yeh and these official pics are allways touched up to look good

The press release is now back up on the Audi site..... UK price confirmed at £26,995.

Hold on, it's gone again. Must be the rain...........

on the german Audi S3 pages, it shows the new S3 with that horrible chromed square steering wheel, yet the press release photo's show the lovely RS4 lookalike steering wheel.

I rekon rather than offering a phat base spec, the options list for the new S3 will be long and tedious...

Just spotted that. The UK press release states the RS4 style wheel is an option.

Think that's an edit from yesterday's version of the release.

mark88 said:
'17-inch brake system with sports brake pads ensure maximum deceleration; the black painted callipers bear S3 emblems.'

nice

I would take the press release as a pinch of salt.

The S3 wont have 17" brakes as they wouldnt fit behind an 18" wheel.

If it did have 17" diameter brake discs they would be about the biggest brakes fitted to a production car ever. I dont think so not on a relatively low output car like the S3

The German site gives the width of the front of the car (arch to arch) as 1765. Can someone confirm if this is the same as a normal A3?

The pics yesterday didn't show a grey diffuser, these new ones on the german audi site do.

265BHP is a real let down :(

Expect Revo will lift it over 300 BHP with ease :)

JohnS3 - According to Audi's A3 Details brochure the overall width of a normal A3, over the wheel arches, is indeed 1765

Thanks Dave, so no flared arches then.

Regards, John.

I hope these arent the actual pics, i cant see how they wouldnt be just a bit underwhelmed by the styling!!

Wanted flared arches in line with all the other S cars!!

As the pictures are from the official Audi press release, I sure they are exactly how the car will look when it arrives in January.

h5djr said:
As the pictures are from the official Audi press release, I sure they are exactly how the car will look when it arrives in January.

Ofcourse, this is the S3, makes no mistake. It's all over the German Audi site for one thing.

What's interesting to me is, if you go back and look at the very first spy pics we saw, those of the yellow car snow testing which everyone hated. That car is EXACTLY the same as the final car, except for the painted bumpers and wheels. To me that just goes to show how little they've done to make it different from the standard car.

And as far as the interior goes, people seem to like it but I personally can't see much difference between it and mine. S3 has white stitching and S3 logos? flat bottomed wheel is an option, what else?

I think I've made my mind up, TT S-line it is for me when it becomes available. I don't see many 8P owners being able to justify upgrading to an S3.

Honestly cant see what the S3 is really offering over the 2.0T sline special edition for the additional cost .

The interiors look almost identical ,

The exterior looks virtually the same

Both cars have 18" alloys

Given that a spec'd up s3 which you wont get a discount on is going to be over 10k more than you can pick up a new 2.0t q spec ed after a bit of haggling for I think thats a very expensive 65bhp especially when you can get a reliable extra 60 bhp from the regular 2.0 for about £750.

Each to their own though

co55ie makes a good point; but what we don't know about the S3 yet is how it drives. If it is "just" a tuned A3 with a more powerful 2.0T, then it'll get easily panned by the press - but hopefully Audi will have taken the car's development more seriously than that. The RS4 is proof that they can get it right these days, so let's hope the S3 goes the same way.

For the record, although it's out of my price range, I wouldn't even visit a dealer to enquire about the S3 until EVO magazine has driven it first.

marshalld said:
Just spotted that. The UK press release states the RS4 style wheel is an option.

Think that's an edit from yesterday's version of the release.

Where's it say this I can't find it?

I wouldn't be surprised if the RS4s they offer are 18" and not 19"

He was referring to the steering wheel.
I think it's more of a case that S-Line cars have completely devalued the real S cars. There were no S-line A3's when the original S3 was released, so even though the styling was just as understated it made more of an impact in comparison to a standard looking A3.
The whole point of an S car is understated but potent.
If you're happy driving a standard car that looks like an S3 then little point getting the real thing. However it's not all about what it looks like, there's a damn sight more power than the original S3 offered over the 1.8TQ, huge brakes and presumably different suspension.
If you want it to look overly aggressive then get yourself the new Civic Type R, that's not what Audi are about. Most people would be hard pushed to spot the difference between an RS4 and a 1.9TDi Sline, so it's no real surprise.

I dont think the sline cars have devalued the s cars I dont think that the S cars are special enough nice as they are.

Anyway I am going to get my remap some huge brakes and go and bait myself some S3 :biggrin: and keep the 8k saved in my bank

Totally agree with Andymac s-line badge has made the S series cars a lot less exclusive. S4 and S-line A4 look practically the same.

Its open for ordering from Monday 2 October, Price lists will be available to download via audi.co.uk by Friday 18 August and printed versions will be available from beginning September

Launch is planned for mid November 2006
Dealer demos are anticipated to arrive by mid November 2006
Customer deliveries are anticipated from January 2007

This is what you get for your £26995

Specification

S3 quattro receives the following items of equipment in addition to standard models:

· 18” ‘S’ design alloy wheels with 225/40 R 18 tyres
· 6-speed manual transmission with reduced shift travel
· 2 chrome oval shaped exhaust pipes
· 3-spoke ‘S’ sports leather steering wheel
An optional ‘flat bottom’ design steering wheel is available which is shown in the attached images. The standard steering wheel is the usual ‘fully round’ 3-spoke design with an S3 badge.
· ‘S’ body styling
· ‘S’ instrument dials
· ‘S’ sports suspension
· Aluminium look door mirror housings
· Black silk nappa leather upholstery
To inject an individual and sporty edge to the interior of S3, optional 2-tone leather is available for £300.00 retail in a choice of Black with Silver or Black with Carmine Red. These 2-tone interior combinations are highly recommended and offer an exciting alternative.
· Brushed aluminium inlays
· Concert radio/CD player
· Driver’s information system
· Electronic climate control
· Front and rear floor mats
· Front sports seats (optional front bucket seats available)
· Heated front seats
· Illuminated vanity mirrors
· quattro four-wheel drive
· Scuff plates with S3 logo
· Xenon Plus headlights with headlight washers and daytime running lights

I compare with my current S3, which cost just under £23K when imported, and against UK prices this was around £27K OTR...
Centre armrest, Cruise, Bose & Heated seats
Aluminum mirror housings were optional in UK but standard on UK speak imported models.
Things like S steering wheel and Recaro seats were also standard

Now to get the same "spec" it seems I'll be looking at...
Bucket seats (i'll read RS4 style recaros as this seems a safe bet), steering wheel (seems a silly option to me), armrest, cruise, bose

I think this car is easily going to get to £30K when trying to match secifications...

So £27k 4 years ago, £30k now, more power, better brakes, arguably a much better, faster car. So what's your point exactly?
Seems like a bargain to me, especially when you consider a run of the mill GTi is £22k+ and an R32 £26k+
Come on people how much were you honestly thinking it was gonna be?

aah we knew it was gonna be pricey. I think the point is that for your extra cash you expect a little more understated uniqueness to your S car. Thats what i like about my 8L.

I'd have like to have seen a wider bodied, yet toned down exterior. Instead it does kinda look like they ram-raided halfords with it.

The pictures show may not show a true rep of what we will be getting. Audi have said that they may tsill make a few chnages before it lands!!!

madvw said:
aah we knew it was gonna be pricey. I think the point is that for your extra cash you expect a little more understated uniqueness to your S car. Thats what i like about my 8L.

I'd have like to have seen a wider bodied, yet toned down exterior. Instead it does kinda look like they ram-raided halfords with it.

Toned down? are you serious? I don't see how they could have toned it down anymore.. The side skirts are a bit fussy but other than that it's a spot the difference competition between it and an S-Line. From the rear especially. It's gotta be one of the laziest S models Audi have ever done? just changing the bumpers is what they do for S-line models. In fact this could be just another S-line kit, like the exterior styling kit but a bit different.

I'm still ****** of to be honest. Are there any 8P owners that are going to order one?