Auto door locking

Steve-L

Reaction score
My previous car (LCR) had a security feature whereby the doors would automatically lock when the engine reached 2000 revs, can the A3 be programmed to do this as well ?

Yes it can, either by a dealer or by using the VAG.com software that many of the people here have.

The doors automatically lock when the car reaches about 10mph, & then unlock when the key is removed from the ignition.

Thanks, the dealer told me it had this feature but obviously its not programmed so I guess they should do it FOC.

Is your car used,or older ?
My 05 Sportback did it as standard,which I thought they all did,but I had the dealer switch it off.
At the same time,I had them switch on the alarm beep (little beep that confirms doors are locked,in addition to indicators).

bowfer said:
Is your car used,or older ?
My 05 Sportback did it as standard,which I thought they all did,but I had the dealer switch it off.
At the same time,I had them switch on the alarm beep (little beep that confirms doors are locked,in addition to indicators).

Its an 04 plate, I also noticed that there is not any flashing bulb inside the car that indicates the alarm is active, maybe this is normal though.

My 05 didn't do it, so i took it back and asked them to change it, which they did foc.

There is a flashy light for the alarm but it's not that obvious. It sits on the front of the dash and is only visable from the front of the car.

Imagine being on the space shuttle.
Imagine then trying to pick out your mate flashing a torch.
That's the A3 alarm LED,that is.

Can you get the 3 door doors to auto lock? Thought it was just a "sport"back feature.

bowfer said:
Imagine being on the space shuttle.
Imagine then trying to pick out your mate flashing a torch.
That's the A3 alarm LED,that is.

LOL...thats the best decription so far.

And when he says in the space shuttle, he means in orbit not on the launch oad!

My last one auto-locked (3 dr 2.0fsi 53 plate) and my current one also now does after I asked it to be "programmed in" I think you can get it programmed in a number of ways i.e lock at 10mph, unlock manually (women apparantly remove the ignition key and sit there fiddleing with handbags etc!) or lock at 10 mph, and unlock with ignition key removal, its woth asking as I suspect there may be many combinations

Yep there is, mine has autolock set. Push the button to unlock and only the drviers door unlocks, press twice and tehy all do. Drive off and all doors lock when I hit 10mph.

Remove the ignition key and only the drivers door unlocks. You can program it so all doors unlock.

J.

Thanks for the info guy's, have spoken to the dealer and arranged to take the car to my local dealer to get it reprogrammed early next week FOC.

:beerchug:

marriedblonde said:
Yep there is, mine has autolock set. Push the button to unlock and only the drviers door unlocks, press twice and tehy all do. Drive off and all doors lock when I hit 10mph.

Remove the ignition key and only the drivers door unlocks. You can program it so all doors unlock.

J.
That's different to mine, so there must be lots of combinations! Have auto-lock at 10mph, but pressing the unlock button inside or on the fob unlocks all the doors.

I assume VAG-COM is used to reprogram it? On my old Focus ST170, you could set the auto-locking feature by pressing the interior lock three times with the door shut and the key in the ignition, and then the same again without the key! :)

bowfer said:

Same here. Mine came with this automatically...

Bowfer didn't know they can program the alarm to beep when the doors lock.. It's going for it's 1st service sometime this month so I get them to do this.. Nice one!
H

hburnett said:
Bowfer didn't know they can program the alarm to beep when the doors lock.. It's going for it's 1st service sometime this month so I get them to do this.. Nice one!
H

Superb addition,in my book.
There are those that argue the indicators flashing should suffice,but the bleep takes any doubt away.
Also dead handy when I check my car is locked at night,as I can't see the indicators from my door or windows.
Saves me having to walk outside in my Girls Aloud jim-jams.

My car is booked in for a day in a couple of weeks due to a faulty bonnet switch/sensor. Do you think they will switch on the alarm beep at the same time FOC? I'm also considering getting the key fob unlock changed so it opens all doors on one click, as opposed to just the drivers door - it really annoys my other half when I forget to double click!

missm said:
My car is booked in for a day in a couple of weeks due to a faulty bonnet switch/sensor. Do you think they will switch on the alarm beep at the same time FOC? I'm also considering getting the key fob unlock changed so it opens all doors on one click, as opposed to just the drivers door - it really annoys my other half when I forget to double click!

Don't see why not.
For the record,I have;

Alarm beep on
Autolock off
One click locks/unlocks all doors.

It may well be that the customer cannot choose from the full list as this would infringe the Type Approval. I noticed for example that two of the codes relate to Daytime Driving Lights - one for the Scandnavian market and one for the North American market.

I must say that when I bought my A3 back in 2004, the dealer explained all the options in connection with door locking and asked me how I wanted mine set-up. I decided to have 'auto-locking' but later found it to be a nuisance and so had it programmed out. I also prefer just the one press of the remote to unlock all doors.

I believe the alarm bleep may be (technically) illegal,as I think alarms are only supposed to have visual signals for arming/dismarming now.
That didn't seem to bother my dealer though,and I'm glad of it.
They wouldn't play ball with the seat belt 'bing bing bing' though.
They just refused to switch that off,no matter how much I asked.
Busturds.

bowfer said:

Seatbelt chimes are turned off on my newly-delivered SLine :D

bowfer said:
I believe the alarm bleep may be (technically) illegal,as I think alarms are only supposed to have visual signals for arming/dismarming now.
got a source for that?

bowfer said:
They wouldn't play ball with the seat belt 'bing bing bing' though.
Busturds.
And why do you want it switched off exactly?

Vertigo1 said:
And why do you want it switched off exactly?

Coz it annoys me
I don't need some poxy noise to remind me to put my belt on.

But if you put your belt on before driving off, as you should, you'd never hear it