Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

Auto door locking

My previous car (LCR) had a security feature whereby the doors would automatically lock when the engine reached 2000 revs, can the A3 be programmed to do this as well ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Yes it can, either by a dealer or by using the VAG.com software that many of the people here have.

The doors automatically lock when the car reaches about 10mph, & then unlock when the key is removed from the ignition.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Neutral

Status
    Thanks, the dealer told me it had this feature but obviously its not programmed so I guess they should do it FOC.

6th Gear

Status
    Is your car used,or older ?
    My 05 Sportback did it as standard,which I thought they all did,but I had the dealer switch it off.
    At the same time,I had them switch on the alarm beep (little beep that confirms doors are locked,in addition to indicators).
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    Is your car used,or older ?
    My 05 Sportback did it as standard,which I thought they all did,but I had the dealer switch it off.
    At the same time,I had them switch on the alarm beep (little beep that confirms doors are locked,in addition to indicators).

Its an 04 plate, I also noticed that there is not any flashing bulb inside the car that indicates the alarm is active, maybe this is normal though.

Lord of War

Status
    My 05 didn't do it, so i took it back and asked them to change it, which they did foc.

There is a flashy light for the alarm but it's not that obvious. It sits on the front of the dash and is only visable from the front of the car.

6th Gear

Status
    Imagine being on the space shuttle.
    Imagine then trying to pick out your mate flashing a torch.
    That's the A3 alarm LED,that is.

Top Gear

Status
    Can you get the 3 door doors to auto lock? Thought it was just a "sport"back feature.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Status
    Imagine being on the space shuttle.
    Imagine then trying to pick out your mate flashing a torch.
    That's the A3 alarm LED,that is.
    LOL...thats the best decription so far.

And when he says in the space shuttle, he means in orbit not on the launch oad!
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko
    Can you get the 3 door doors to auto lock? Thought it was just a "sport"back feature.
    Mine autolocks as standard (MY06)
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

1st Gear

Status
    My last one auto-locked (3 dr 2.0fsi 53 plate) and my current one also now does after I asked it to be "programmed in" I think you can get it programmed in a number of ways i.e lock at 10mph, unlock manually (women apparantly remove the ignition key and sit there fiddleing with handbags etc!) or lock at 10 mph, and unlock with ignition key removal, its woth asking as I suspect there may be many combinations
    TTS, 19's,DSG,Sat Nav,phone,elec seats,bose,ex leather,and more

Status
    Yep there is, mine has autolock set. Push the button to unlock and only the drviers door unlocks, press twice and tehy all do. Drive off and all doors lock when I hit 10mph.

Remove the ignition key and only the drivers door unlocks. You can program it so all doors unlock.

J.

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the info guy's, have spoken to the dealer and arranged to take the car to my local dealer to get it reprogrammed early next week FOC.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    Yep there is, mine has autolock set. Push the button to unlock and only the drviers door unlocks, press twice and tehy all do. Drive off and all doors lock when I hit 10mph.

Remove the ignition key and only the drivers door unlocks. You can program it so all doors unlock.

J.
    That's different to mine, so there must be lots of combinations! Have auto-lock at 10mph, but pressing the unlock button inside or on the fob unlocks all the doors.

I assume VAG-COM is used to reprogram it? On my old Focus ST170, you could set the auto-locking feature by pressing the interior lock three times with the door shut and the key in the ignition, and then the same again without the key!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Neutral

Status
    Same here. Mine came with this automatically...

Bowfer didn't know they can program the alarm to beep when the doors lock.. It's going for it's 1st service sometime this month so I get them to do this.. Nice one!
    H
    Black A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport with black Alcantara/Leather, silver roof rails, Symphony II & BOSE, heated seats, storage pack, lighting pack, PIAA chrome white lights and more...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hburnett
    Bowfer didn't know they can program the alarm to beep when the doors lock.. It's going for it's 1st service sometime this month so I get them to do this.. Nice one!
    H
    Superb addition,in my book.
    There are those that argue the indicators flashing should suffice,but the bleep takes any doubt away.
    Also dead handy when I check my car is locked at night,as I can't see the indicators from my door or windows.
    Saves me having to walk outside in my Girls Aloud jim-jams.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Saves me having to walk outside in my Girls Aloud jim-jams.
    LOLOLOL!!!!!
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

1st Gear

Status
    My car is booked in for a day in a couple of weeks due to a faulty bonnet switch/sensor. Do you think they will switch on the alarm beep at the same time FOC? I'm also considering getting the key fob unlock changed so it opens all doors on one click, as opposed to just the drivers door - it really annoys my other half when I forget to double click!
    A3 2.0TDi Sport DSG. Metallic Silver, Black Alcantara Interior, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Light/Rain Sensors, BOSE, Cruise Control, Front Centre Armrest, Full Votex Kit.

Top Gear

Status
    See mine doesn't do that either! How come every car is so different?
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Status
    I've posted this before but here's a list of the convience features programable on our cars.

J.

http://en.openobd.org/audi/a3_8p.htm

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by missm
    My car is booked in for a day in a couple of weeks due to a faulty bonnet switch/sensor. Do you think they will switch on the alarm beep at the same time FOC? I'm also considering getting the key fob unlock changed so it opens all doors on one click, as opposed to just the drivers door - it really annoys my other half when I forget to double click!
    Don't see why not.
    For the record,I have;

Alarm beep on
    Autolock off
    One click locks/unlocks all doors.

Top Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    I've posted this before but here's a list of the convience features programable on our cars.

J.

http://en.openobd.org/audi/a3_8p.htm
    Interesting... so many options that surely we (the customer) should choose whether we want them enabled or not?!

It may well be that the customer cannot choose from the full list as this would infringe the Type Approval. I noticed for example that two of the codes relate to Daytime Driving Lights - one for the Scandnavian market and one for the North American market.

I must say that when I bought my A3 back in 2004, the dealer explained all the options in connection with door locking and asked me how I wanted mine set-up. I decided to have 'auto-locking' but later found it to be a nuisance and so had it programmed out. I also prefer just the one press of the remote to unlock all doors.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    I believe the alarm bleep may be (technically) illegal,as I think alarms are only supposed to have visual signals for arming/dismarming now.
    That didn't seem to bother my dealer though,and I'm glad of it.
    They wouldn't play ball with the seat belt 'bing bing bing' though.
    They just refused to switch that off,no matter how much I asked.
    Busturds.

1st Gear

Status
    Seatbelt chimes are turned off on my newly-delivered SLine :D
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

2nd Gear

Status
    I believe the alarm bleep may be (technically) illegal,as I think alarms are only supposed to have visual signals for arming/dismarming now.
    got a source for that?

6th Gear

Status
    They wouldn't play ball with the seat belt 'bing bing bing' though.
    Busturds.
    And why do you want it switched off exactly?

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    ... dead handy when I check my car is locked at night...
    Your neighbours must love you!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1
    And why do you want it switched off exactly?
    Coz it annoys me
    I don't need some poxy noise to remind me to put my belt on.

6th Gear

Status
    But if you put your belt on before driving off, as you should, you'd never hear it