EM TuningBadger5

Thread: Bike Racks?

1st Gear

Status

Question Bike Racks?

anyone found a well fitting bike rack for their 3dr? ideally I'd like a mid to high level one that doesn't cover the rear lights,

just tried my old normal hatch one but it is rubbish and I'm worried about damaging the Audi, bought two different high level ones from Halfords three bike and two bike rack type, both seem very similar to the Thule ones, neither fitted as I'd like, one not at all, so they've gone back.

so I'm looking at a Saris Bones rack, but just thought I'd see what anyone else has found that works before I waste more time going round and round,
    2012 Q3 S line S-Tronic 177 TDI
    2013 MINI GP

Previously B8 S4, 8P A3 3.2Q

2. # ADS
    ADS

Top Gear

Status
    I'm gonna buy a roof rack and get cycle carriers for them probably Thule ones, I had one of the ones that hang off the back years ago for my Pug and it did nothing but scratch my paint work. That aint gonna happen to my Audi!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Redlined

Status
    I couldn't use a rear-mounted rack on my A3 due to the S-line roof spoiler.
    The Thule solution is fine - see my post here:
    roof rack,bars for sportback

Plus of course you can use the roof bars for other purposes, whereas a cycle rack is dedicated to that purpose.
    Dave.
    2006 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-line DSG in Lava Grey.
    Symphony II, BOSE, Parking Sensor, Cruise Control.
    TomTom Go 700, Parrot 3100

Previously...
    2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Selespeed Veloce. Yum - nuff said.
    1993-2002 Eight Vauxhalls - mandatory for company scheme. Highlights were two Vectra 2.5 V6 GSi's - one of which R.I.P.
    1991 Peugeot 205 1.4 XS. On the right road, possibly the most fun of anything I've ever driven.
    1989 Talbot Horizon 1.3. Yeah, yeah, but it was fine - honest.

Lord of War

Status
    Agreed. All rear mounted bike racks will have straps that rub paintwork. If you've got a rear spoiler then the problem is only made worse.

Safest place to put them is on the roof.

3rd Gear

Status
    There is a group test of racks in the current issue of Singletrack magazine. Pendle Strap on, Hollywood F10 Elevator and Saris bones are tested. Pendle is the best. They don't really comment on how well they fit, as its obviously impossible to test on every car, but they do mention how long the straps are etc.

PS Roof-mounting is the way to go.

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the thoughts, I've always used roof bars and a box or rails but I'm not sure about the cost just yet for this and frankly the extra drag of a roof system on my mpg/range might finish me travelling through France.

I've seen the pendle and looks good, I ideally want one that lets me open the boot, agree on the scratches and risk to the rear, hence my worries.

I'm still toying with a towbar and dedicated system, no caravan jibes please... boat or rack for those tip trips..just don't want to butcher the rear end only the Audi removeable doesn't cut the rear panel, although needs a new lower painted and fitted

cheers
    2012 Q3 S line S-Tronic 177 TDI
    2013 MINI GP

Previously B8 S4, 8P A3 3.2Q

3rd Gear

Status
    My mate has a tow-bar mounted one and it's great; doesn't scratch the paint and less drag than a roof mounted one. He's got it on a Renault Laguna estate and the rear window opens separately from the boot, which negates most of the access difficulties.

1st Gear

Status
    I brought the roof rack and it doesnt fit very well

When you shut the door the rubber seals bend.

Redlined

Status
    The Thule one or the Audi one?
    My Thule one fits just fine.
    Dave.
    2006 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-line DSG in Lava Grey.
    Symphony II, BOSE, Parking Sensor, Cruise Control.
    TomTom Go 700, Parrot 3100

Previously...
    2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Selespeed Veloce. Yum - nuff said.
    1993-2002 Eight Vauxhalls - mandatory for company scheme. Highlights were two Vectra 2.5 V6 GSi's - one of which R.I.P.
    1991 Peugeot 205 1.4 XS. On the right road, possibly the most fun of anything I've ever driven.
    1989 Talbot Horizon 1.3. Yeah, yeah, but it was fine - honest.

4th Gear

Status
    I had the removable ball towbar and use a Pendle towball mounted bike rack. Its the best option if you can manage it, keeps the bikes nice and safe and doesnt put them into the rain.
    Steeve