Bike Racks?

dmaudi

Reaction score
anyone found a well fitting bike rack for their 3dr? ideally I'd like a mid to high level one that doesn't cover the rear lights,

just tried my old normal hatch one but it is rubbish and I'm worried about damaging the Audi, bought two different high level ones from Halfords three bike and two bike rack type, both seem very similar to the Thule ones, neither fitted as I'd like, one not at all, so they've gone back.

so I'm looking at a Saris Bones rack, but just thought I'd see what anyone else has found that works before I waste more time going round and round,

I'm gonna buy a roof rack and get cycle carriers for them probably Thule ones, I had one of the ones that hang off the back years ago for my Pug and it did nothing but scratch my paint work. That aint gonna happen to my Audi!

Agreed. All rear mounted bike racks will have straps that rub paintwork. If you've got a rear spoiler then the problem is only made worse.

Safest place to put them is on the roof.

There is a group test of racks in the current issue of Singletrack magazine. Pendle Strap on, Hollywood F10 Elevator and Saris bones are tested. Pendle is the best. They don't really comment on how well they fit, as its obviously impossible to test on every car, but they do mention how long the straps are etc.

PS Roof-mounting is the way to go.

thanks for the thoughts, I've always used roof bars and a box or rails but I'm not sure about the cost just yet for this and frankly the extra drag of a roof system on my mpg/range might finish me travelling through France.

I've seen the pendle and looks good, I ideally want one that lets me open the boot, agree on the scratches and risk to the rear, hence my worries.

I'm still toying with a towbar and dedicated system, no caravan jibes please... boat or rack for those tip trips..just don't want to butcher the rear end only the Audi removeable doesn't cut the rear panel, although needs a new lower painted and fitted

cheers

My mate has a tow-bar mounted one and it's great; doesn't scratch the paint and less drag than a roof mounted one. He's got it on a Renault Laguna estate and the rear window opens separately from the boot, which negates most of the access difficulties.

I brought the roof rack and it doesnt fit very well

When you shut the door the rubber seals bend.

I had the removable ball towbar and use a Pendle towball mounted bike rack. Its the best option if you can manage it, keeps the bikes nice and safe and doesnt put them into the rain.