What could you live without?

You can play MP3s on a TomTom, although I haven't tried myself so I'm not sure of the quality standalone. If you have the full-on handsfree integration with the car stereo then of course it will be fine.
Do a search on the TomTom forums at YourNav.com.

bowfer said:
I'd settle for the same pullaway characteristics as any other automatic,as they don't suffer from 'DSG-delay'.

You are right with one thing though, I am a ****** idiot.

My DSG is no worse than any other Auto, and better than most.

I personally would drop the S-tronic and the sat nav...

The navi you can get it afterwards if you really want it (and save money), just take a look at http://www.navplus.us

UPDATE: just saw some one had already mentioned the site to you, oh well... ^^ :)

CurryMilkShake said:
Id drop the sat nav and the DSG..
Sat nav? come on, when did you last need to look at a map? I compromised - I have a tomtom, but it lives in the glovebox.. on the infrequent occasion when i need it, it comes out, and is superb, but the rest of the time its tucked away safe.

That's the way I feel about satnav too.
As I say to any salesman trying to flog it to me,"everywhere I go,I have been before"
They never have a reply to that !

There's a bloke I follow home most nights (not literally to his house..).
When we're sitting in traffic,I can see him playing with his Tom-Tom ( Ooh-err missus ;-)).
I can't help thinking "winker". (oops ! I assumed it would change the word I actually put for me !)
He's just one of these blokes that wanted one for no particular reason,other than they are fashionable and he has everything else.

marriedblonde said:
Don't forget they changed the suspension on the S-lines by all accounts, I think at the end of 2004?
I'd heard that they softened the standard Sport suspension a bit when they facelifted the 3dr but I don't know whether there's any truth in this or not. Anyone know anything more? I take it the suspension on the S-line is the same as the Sport, just the lower profile tyres make it a tad harder. Really need to grab the demonstrator for a few hours from the local dealer, as it's an s-line on the utterly georgeous 5 spoke 18s.

With regards to the satnav, I'm currently using TT on my PDA and part of the appeal of the Audi system is that I don't have to faff about with a separate unit. TT will obviously do the job but it's not quite as neat is it? As for the MP3 player I could obviously just spec the iPod or USB connection in the glovebox instead (£175 for a connector!!!) and get the same functionality.

I'm hoping that I won't have to ditch both satnav and DSG and removing one of them will be enough when the crunch meeting with the boss comes. The full spec is coming out at £70 more per month than my current car so I'm hoping they'll go for it but removing satnav would knock of £50 and DSG £30 so either should bring it sufficiently close to my current car budget that I wouldn't have to ditch both.

I'm sort of hoping that when I test the DSG properly I find I don't like it as I can then get rid of that with a clear concience and keep the satnav :D

EDIT: Incidentally, this is the full spec I'm looking at:

Audi A3 2.0TDI 170PS 3Dr S-Line S-Tronic
DVD satnav
BOSE
Light/rain sensor pack
Interior light pack
Front centre armrest
Dimming/folding door mirrors
Multi-function steering wheel
Luggage pack
Reversible Boot mat

Spec look ok to you lot? Current best contract hire quote is £423 (15k pa, 4 yrs) Anyone reckon they can find a better quote? :)

Vertigo1 said:
I'd heard that they softened the standard Sport suspension a bit when they facelifted the 3dr but I don't know whether there's any truth in this or not. Anyone know anything more? I take it the suspension on the S-line is the same as the Sport, just the lower profile tyres make it a tad harder. Really need to grab the demonstrator for a few hours from the local dealer, as it's an s-line on the utterly georgeous 5 spoke 18s.

Or mention where your from and see if anyone on here is loac and willing to give you a run out in theres?

Also get a lift as a passenger in the car as you'll notice the ride a lot more!

J.

4 years !
Blimey,that's a long time to own a motor.
You better get it right.

Coughdon'tgetDSGcough....

I read somewhere that the Sportback had the modified suspension from launch and then this was applied to the 3 dr when this was facelifted.

I've read the Sline is lower and harder than the Sport.

S-line is 10mm lower,to account for higher ride height of 18 inchers (I assume).

marriedblonde said:
Also get a lift as a passenger in the car as you'll notice the ride a lot more!
Oh gawd, don't say things like that! I'd happily put up with a hard ride but it's the missus that will moan :(

Road noise is also increased with the 18 inchers.
They are lovely though.

I can't see anything at all to suggest that the suspension on the S-line is any different from the Sport. As for ride height and wheels, the larger wheels have suitably lower profile tyres to keep the total diameter the same as apart from anything else they'd need to recalibrate the speedo for each wheel size otherwise :)

I test drove a Sport and an S-Line before placing my order. The dealer told me that the S-Line is 10mm lower than the Sport. It is a little bit more stiff, but nothing too noticeable. Plus, the 18 inch 5-spokes are the nuts.

On a four year deal,with 3 months up front,you're paying £20808 just to LEASE the car.

That's mad.

Vertigo1 said:
Oh gawd, don't say things like that! I'd happily put up with a hard ride but it's the missus that will moan :(

If she is used to hot hatches or semi sporty cars she wont complain about the ride. It's not that bad. If you've come from a flying sofa then yes obviously it will be a stiffer ride.

J.

bowfer said:
On a four year deal,with 3 months up front,you're paying £20808 just to LEASE the car.
Correction, the company will be paying it :D
That's mad.
It would be if it were my money.

The total payment would obviously be more over 4 years compared to 2 or 3 but the key thing is that I can get more for the same monthly outlay.

As far as the company is concerned, 3 vs 4 years is irrelevant as at the end of the term the car will be replaced with another and the monthly payments will continue. For example, over the next 12 years I could either have four cars, each on a 3 year lease, or 3 cars on 4 years leases. For the same total outlay over that 12 year period I'd get a better spec of car if I went with the latter option, the payoff being that I'd only get 3 new cars rather than 4.

Basically I don't mind keeping the car for an extra year if it means I can get a better model.

I couldn't keep any car for 4 years,I just couldn't do it !
I get 'itchy feet' after about two years.
Sooner,if the car hacks me off for any reason.
Historically,my MD has always been quite accommodating in pandering to my whims,and has allowed me to chop and change at will.
Lately though,with the company growing bigger,he's had to make it a rule that we stick to our lease deals for the duration,which is a right bummer (and is the reason I'm thinking of opting out next time...freedom to change cars ! )

I'm also from the change often camp. I have difficulty keeping cars longer than a year. I've opted out of my companies car scheme and the way I look at it is if I am only wpending my car allowance and not my own money (apart from deposit) then I'm not really loosing money on my cars.

The lease company would never know if you retro fitted the SAT NAV and providing you put back the standard system at the end of the lease I doubt there would be any issues. The only thing you would lose is any warranty work on the SAT NAV, Audi wouldn't cover it. As for the lease amount does that include full maintenance.

Yep that £408 is fully maintained. Now looks like I shall be ditching DSG/S-Tronic (see other thread coming soon) which makes keeping the Satnav more likely.