140 or 170 Diesel and Performance chips?

Burga

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about performance chips for diesels?

I'm considering buying a new A3 Sportback. I want the power of the 170 without paying for it. Fundamentally, is buying the 140 and chipping it a good idea or should I bite the bullet and buy the 170?

I wondered if anyone can give me advice or point me in the right direction of good reliable chips.

Only thing to bear in mind is that ,when developed, the 170 will be chipable well beyond 200bhp.

Recommendations from A-S.net members so far are

Revo
Superchips
AMD
Forge

The price difference between the 140 and the 170 is only abou £800 isn't it? I'd rather have the 170 from the factory as you'll spend nearly the same amount on a 140 getting it remapped.

Also isn't there more to the 170 than just a different map?

One thing to bear in mind - the 140 emissions are much lower, you only pay £115 a year road tax. Would be cheaper in the long run to chip a 140 than buy a 170 and pay the increased tax.

curran33 said:
the only worry would be warranty, will the chip affect it?

Of course it will invalidate the warranty.... if they find out.

curran33 said:
the only worry would be warranty, will the chip affect it?

If they detect it,yes.
Chip companies offer warranties though,but I don't know how that would work in practice.
It's been enough to put me off getting mine chipped.

Out of interest,are the brakes uprated in the 170bhp ?
The brakes can get a bit 'mushy' on the 140,if you're thrashing it over a country road,so more power might be a problem.

Mind you,I tend to hammer the brakes in an attempt to make up for the lack of power,so maybe I'd give them an easier time in a faster car !

Hmmm...think I'd be looking for at least higher rated pads,if I went down the chip route.
Not too expensive,or difficult,a mod.

The brakes definatley need upgrading on the A3, they can barely contain the standard 140 let alone a remap.

The Golf Gti brakes are an easy upgrade though which is the route I think I'll be taking if I still have the car and the discs need doing.

J.

marriedblonde said:
The brakes definatley need upgrading on the A3, they can barely contain the standard 140 let alone a remap.

The Golf Gti brakes are an easy upgrade though which is the route I think I'll be taking if I still have the car and the discs need doing.

J.

I didn't believe all this about upgrading brake pads and discs that some people do, but I do now. The A3 brakes seem to overheat and loses friction very quickly. I was a little more eager than normal with my driving last weekend through Milton Keynes, and it only took about 4/5 roundabouts before they became a little unpredictable, but certainly needed a lot more leg work for the same stopping power. Not funny. But then again, it's not meant to be a sports car or to be driven like that.

Also to consider is the cost of the extra insurance multiplyd by how many years you intend to keep the car for a remapped motor.

Karcsi said:
Not funny. But then again, it's not meant to be a sports car or to be driven like that.

Yet they'll use terms like 'sport' in the name,use terms like 'sports suspension' and show you all sorts of publicity photos of the car being driven 'enthusiastically'.

Just saying.

I kept having this same argument with my VW dealer,when I had one of the first 1.8T Golf Gti's in the country (certainly the first in Aberdeen).
Every time you hit the rev limiter,which was dead easy to do in the lower gears,the ECU would revert to 'emergency mode' and shut down the turbo.
I then had to go to the dealer for a reset.
This happened all the time.
The dealer kept saying;
"it's because you're driving it too hard"
I kept replying;
"It's a friggin Gti ! "

Covenant said:
One thing to bear in mind - the 140 emissions are much lower, you only pay £115 a year road tax. Would be cheaper in the long run to chip a 140 than buy a 170 and pay the increased tax.

More like £110 a year