Bluefin

csm7djs

Reaction score
Last Friday i went down to Buckingham to have my car bluefin'd

What an absolutely brilliant product. My 2.0tdi was knocking out 147bhp as standard, but after bluefin it now produces 185bhp and 390lbs of torque.

It really improves the drive of the 2.0tdi and the power increase in 3rd,4th,5th and 6th is great. The best thing about the product is that within 3 minutes my car can be back to the standard ecu settings it had before. Oh i forgot to add, i now get better mpg aswell.

I'm going to write a review of the product, just haven't really has time yet due to the nice weather :) but if anybody is thinking about chipping, bluefin is the way forward.....

can it be used on 1.9 PD130 2003 model (8L)

Bluefin is a new device from superchips. Its basically a box which plugs into your ecu port in the drivers footwell. The box then downloads the current setting from your car and stores them on the device. You plug the bluefin via usb into your PC and it up loads the data from your car to the superchips website. Here, they modify your setting and send you a new, remapped file which downloads onto your bluefin device. You reconnect the device to your car, follow the on screen instructions and it remaps your car. The whole process takes about 10 minutes and your car is ready to drive, all chipped up too 185bhp. If you want to return to standard, you reconnect the bluefin and it will remap your car back to the original settings. This process can be done as many times as required.

I found information out about bluefin on the uk-mkivs.co.uk website and several people gave it really good reviews. Over the last month they have been trialling the product and offered it a discounted price of £479 including rolling road tune. As of Monday the price has gone up to £599. They mentioned to me about the possibility of a 10% discount if you went down to their HQ but I could always email them and find out. I spend last Friday afternoon with them down in Buckingham. I wanted to get the device at the discounted price plus I also wanted to see the performance figures so I decided to make the 200mile round trip down there. The Technical Director Jamie Turvey took me round the offices and showed me how the whole thing worked. All in all the great experience and I’m really pleased with the results. The power increase is good but you also have the added option of reverting your car back to standard at any point.

Check on the Superchips website for which cars it works on. I think at the moment its only the 2.0tdi's, but it definitely works on the A3's and A4's

I will post my dyno results if i can get to a scanner...

Does this mean u can use it on more than one car then?

I asked exactly the same question. They told me that the ECU stores the vehicle's VIN number and the file they remap uses your VIN number when it is written back. If the code doesn't match the car won't start. Also the Bluefin box is locked to that VIN number. How true this is, I don't know, but i don't think i would risk it. If you flash your ecu with dodgy data you will never be able to start the car.

i was told superchips would put it back to standard FOC if required. Do they actually keep your original map? or is it a standard stock thing?

csm7djs said:
390lbs of torque.

lbft or NM? Standard is 236lbft / 320NM.

That sounds like a great product. Next, I will definately go for a product that allows switching, as I think potential buyers are put off from buying a chipped secondhand car.

But if it can be put back to standard for free, and u can only use it on one vehicle, why would you bother with Bluefin, just a thought..

csm7djs said:
If you want to return to standard, you reconnect the bluefin and it will remap your car back to the original settings. This process can be done as many times as required. .

That's the difference.

The Slug said:
But if it can be put back to standard for free, and u can only use it on one vehicle, why would you bother with Bluefin, just a thought..

when you sell the car,you can resell the remap separatley,ive never thought of switchable maps like that before,its a win,win situation.

csm7djs said:
I asked exactly the same question. They told me that the ECU stores the vehicle's VIN number and the file they remap uses your VIN number when it is written back. If the code doesn't match the car won't start. Also the Bluefin box is locked to that VIN number. How true this is, I don't know, but i don't think i would risk it. If you flash your ecu with dodgy data you will never be able to start the car.

So presuming "Your VIN" is individual to each car, therefore cannot use it on more than one car??

Hi i had a focus rs and looked into bluefin - the bluefin is per car you cannot sell it on after you used it they will not reset to use on a different car they will however give you a small discount for the actual unit against a new one.

With the revo i presume you can buy it load on your car and sell on after??

Does it make it smoother?? I remember someone on here saying ages ago that a superchips remap actually made his engine run smoother also - although I was a bit aprehensive about this as at the end of the day its the same physical engine??

Revo is car specific as well - kind of makes sense if not you would just buy one product from them and they wiould have to effectively support it for life each time you changed your car!

Perhaps they should just make remaps cheaper to start off with...

J.

steve184 said:
Does it make it smoother?? I remember someone on here saying ages ago that a superchips remap actually made his engine run smoother also - although I was a bit aprehensive about this as at the end of the day its the same physical engine??

It is smoother on the PD130 diesels as ive driven a golf thats been mapped by them, gotta say its very smooth, pulls all the way to redline so smooth and trust me, its a flier! Im considering these with the mrs car too, anyone for a GB? lol

Mine pulls really smoothly too 4500rpm. Then the power tails off.....

oh and it was 402Nm not 390lbs - sorry.....

As for a group buy, i'm sure if i emailed the bloke down there we could work some discount off. The people on the uk-mkivs website get 10% discount so there is no reason why audi-sport.net couldnt get the same.

I have a Blue finn for sale, it was actually mapped for a Cooper S, But I believe it can be re mapped for any car.
If anyone is intereseted in buying I can find out for sure if it can be mapped for Audi's.
After £100 for the unit itself, I was told to get a re mapping software it's about £120, but that was to map to another MINI.

Si

csm7djs said:
Mine pulls really smoothly too 4500rpm. Then the power tails off.....

oh and it was 402Nm not 390lbs - sorry.....

As for a group buy, i'm sure if i emailed the bloke down there we could work some discount off. The people on the uk-mkivs website get 10% discount so there is no reason why audi-sport.net couldnt get the same.

Kool, wanna ask then bud? Including Rolling roads b4 and afters wud be great too.

marriedblonde said:
Revo is car specific as well - kind of makes sense if not you would just buy one product from them and they wiould have to effectively support it for life each time you changed your car!

Perhaps they should just make remaps cheaper to start off with...

J.

With REVO and the SPS switch you can swap between the stock and high performance maps in about 10 seconds.....

What makes REVO special is that they have found a way to hide the enhanced map(s) on the standard ECU concurrently and it is completely invisible too - all the maps have the same revision number as the Audi map too..... Wicked!

the dealers wud know just by driving a remapped car they aint stupid, lol..Not fussed about hiding it as warranty is out anyways, Revo do some good maps i hear tho