Is Quattro worth it? How about a 3.2?

Tim Stuart

Reaction score
Why pay more to make your car heavier? It might get more traction on a 0-60 sprint, but can you justify the extra weight, fuel consumption and £1,400?

I reckon most buy it because they think the DNA of their new Audi can be traced back to the original 80's icon. Slightly antagonistic I know:haudrauf: , but does anyone agree?

Also, why buy a 3.2 when a chipped 2.0T will give greater performance for less money with less weight over the front wheels, therefore offering greater steering feel and less understeer?

Is it because of the V6 burble and the badge on the back? :confused:

Hi Tim, I see your from Dorset. In Scotland we get snow and heaps of rain. The quattro on my car is a great reassurance and earns its keep. The car still turns in 42 ish mpg, so for me the answer to the "Q" question is definately, yes. Let alone all the other handling reasons...

I know, let's have a 2.0T vs 3.2 thread. We can follow that with a DSG vs manual one. It's been ages since I've :banghead:

On a slightly less antagonistic note, quattro (more accurately haldex in our case) drives differently from FWD towards the limit of traction and has obvious benefits in slippery conditions. Similarly, the V6 has different characteristics than the 2.0T. Maybe the answer is as simple as some people like the 3.2Q more than they like a 2.0T FWD, chipped or not.

As for the "I reckon most buy it because they think the DNA of their new Audi can be traced back to the original 80's icon" quote, I don't think that's even worthy of a response. If you want to troll, go tell Bowfer that DSG is better than manual. Because it is ;)

I drove both the 2.0T FWD and quattro, with a little enthusiasm the FWD car with std hp will try and spin wheels when cornering in the dry, I hate to think what a chipped one would do in the wet? the quattro even when chipped just grips. I must admit I didn't like the feel of the 3.2's weight over the front

little_wing said:
On a slightly less antagonistic note, quattro (more accurately haldex in our case) drives differently from FWD towards the limit of traction and has obvious benefits in slippery conditions.

The fact that haldex is used on the 8p platform doesnt have any bearing on the fact its called Quattro, thats an Audi name for AWD not the system of AWD.;)

dandle said:
The fact that haldex is used on the 8p platform doesnt have any bearing on the fact its called Quattro, thats an Audi name for AWD not the system of AWD.;)

Of course, but Quattro has really always been synonymous with Torsen for Audi until fairly recently when the VAG group started using haldex. I remember there being some grumbling about calling haldex equipped Audis 'Quattro' when they first appeared.

Surely "you pays your money and you makes your choice".
We dont all look for the same things, or Audi would only make one A3, or perhaps if there was one best car they would only make that and nothing else.
We're all different you need to appreciate that..................

With the 3.2 you have the INSTANT power unlike the Tubo Lag of the 2.0T

Quattro is a fantastic system :) It needs to be used though, if you are a bit of a Gordon Mciver ( Sunday Driver) dont bother with Quattro ;)

some people like the power delivery of a normally aspirated big 6 engine compared to the delivery of a 4pot turbo charged motor.

In normal day to day driving the AWD/Quattro or what ever you want to call it is going to being running as a FWD. But add some water, ice etc into the fray and it becomes very worthwhiel.

Make that spirited driving and the AWD makes a massive difference. Being able to side step the clutch at 4.5K revs and just launching down the road is awesome. When booting down the back roads etc you can feel the drive transferring to the rear. Just remember AWD is only AWD when your foots planted...

So to answer your question it's all down to personal pref. I had it and loved it. But due to my current journey to work decided on DSG over Quattro as it suited my journey better.

J.

johnmv55 said:
I drove both the 2.0T FWD and quattro, with a little enthusiasm the FWD car with std hp will try and spin wheels when cornering in the dry, I hate to think what a chipped one would do in the wet? the quattro even when chipped just grips. I must admit I didn't like the feel of the 3.2's weight over the front

Sums it up nicely..... exactly why I've got a 2.0T Quattro :)

marriedblonde said:
some people like the power delivery of a normally aspirated big 6 engine compared to the delivery of a 4pot turbo charged motor.

In normal day to day driving the AWD/Quattro or what ever you want to call it is going to being running as a FWD. But add some water, ice etc into the fray and it becomes very worthwhiel.

Make that spirited driving and the AWD makes a massive difference. Being able to side step the clutch at 4.5K revs and just launching down the road is awesome. When booting down the back roads etc you can feel the drive transferring to the rear. Just remember AWD is only AWD when your foots planted...

So to answer your question it's all down to personal pref. I had it and loved it. But due to my current journey to work decided on DSG over Quattro as it suited my journey better.

J.

Thats a great write up mate, and i agree fully :)