Monster MotorsportBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Is Quattro worth it? How about a 3.2?

Why pay more to make your car heavier? It might get more traction on a 0-60 sprint, but can you justify the extra weight, fuel consumption and Ł1,400?

I reckon most buy it because they think the DNA of their new Audi can be traced back to the original 80's icon. Slightly antagonistic I know , but does anyone agree?

Also, why buy a 3.2 when a chipped 2.0T will give greater performance for less money with less weight over the front wheels, therefore offering greater steering feel and less understeer?

Is it because of the V6 burble and the badge on the back?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Hi Tim, I see your from Dorset. In Scotland we get snow and heaps of rain. The quattro on my car is a great reassurance and earns its keep. The car still turns in 42 ish mpg, so for me the answer to the "Q" question is definately, yes. Let alone all the other handling reasons...
    Coming back to Audi with an A3 Tdi Sportback Quattro... but the 220bhp T5 was epic....

Neutral

Status
    2.0T Quattro, thats the answer!!!

Uber Post Whore

Status
    As Rick.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

1st Gear

Status
    I know, let's have a 2.0T vs 3.2 thread. We can follow that with a DSG vs manual one. It's been ages since I've

On a slightly less antagonistic note, quattro (more accurately haldex in our case) drives differently from FWD towards the limit of traction and has obvious benefits in slippery conditions. Similarly, the V6 has different characteristics than the 2.0T. Maybe the answer is as simple as some people like the 3.2Q more than they like a 2.0T FWD, chipped or not.

As for the "I reckon most buy it because they think the DNA of their new Audi can be traced back to the original 80's icon" quote, I don't think that's even worthy of a response. If you want to troll, go tell Bowfer that DSG is better than manual. Because it is
    A3 Sportback 3.2 DSG S-Line - Doors/Seats/Wheels/Engine and stuff. And front armrest.

1st Gear

Status
    I drove both the 2.0T FWD and quattro, with a little enthusiasm the FWD car with std hp will try and spin wheels when cornering in the dry, I hate to think what a chipped one would do in the wet? the quattro even when chipped just grips. I must admit I didn't like the feel of the 3.2's weight over the front
    TTS, 19's,DSG,Sat Nav,phone,elec seats,bose,ex leather,and more

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by little_wing
    On a slightly less antagonistic note, quattro (more accurately haldex in our case) drives differently from FWD towards the limit of traction and has obvious benefits in slippery conditions.
    The fact that haldex is used on the 8p platform doesnt have any bearing on the fact its called Quattro, thats an Audi name for AWD not the system of AWD.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dandle
    The fact that haldex is used on the 8p platform doesnt have any bearing on the fact its called Quattro, thats an Audi name for AWD not the system of AWD.
    Of course, but Quattro has really always been synonymous with Torsen for Audi until fairly recently when the VAG group started using haldex. I remember there being some grumbling about calling haldex equipped Audis 'Quattro' when they first appeared.
    A3 Sportback 3.2 DSG S-Line - Doors/Seats/Wheels/Engine and stuff. And front armrest.

4th Gear

Status
    Surely "you pays your money and you makes your choice".
    We dont all look for the same things, or Audi would only make one A3, or perhaps if there was one best car they would only make that and nothing else.
    We're all different you need to appreciate that..................
    Steeve

Neutral

Status
    With the 3.2 you have the INSTANT power unlike the Tubo Lag of the 2.0T

Quattro is a fantastic system It needs to be used though, if you are a bit of a Gordon Mciver ( Sunday Driver) dont bother with Quattro
    Impreza WRX, Impreza Type R, Impreza WR1.Audi 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Track Days in all of the above.

Status
    some people like the power delivery of a normally aspirated big 6 engine compared to the delivery of a 4pot turbo charged motor.

In normal day to day driving the AWD/Quattro or what ever you want to call it is going to being running as a FWD. But add some water, ice etc into the fray and it becomes very worthwhiel.

Make that spirited driving and the AWD makes a massive difference. Being able to side step the clutch at 4.5K revs and just launching down the road is awesome. When booting down the back roads etc you can feel the drive transferring to the rear. Just remember AWD is only AWD when your foots planted...

So to answer your question it's all down to personal pref. I had it and loved it. But due to my current journey to work decided on DSG over Quattro as it suited my journey better.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmv55
    I drove both the 2.0T FWD and quattro, with a little enthusiasm the FWD car with std hp will try and spin wheels when cornering in the dry, I hate to think what a chipped one would do in the wet? the quattro even when chipped just grips. I must admit I didn't like the feel of the 3.2's weight over the front
    Sums it up nicely..... exactly why I've got a 2.0T Quattro
    -------------------------

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

-------------------------

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    some people like the power delivery of a normally aspirated big 6 engine compared to the delivery of a 4pot turbo charged motor.

In normal day to day driving the AWD/Quattro or what ever you want to call it is going to being running as a FWD. But add some water, ice etc into the fray and it becomes very worthwhiel.

Make that spirited driving and the AWD makes a massive difference. Being able to side step the clutch at 4.5K revs and just launching down the road is awesome. When booting down the back roads etc you can feel the drive transferring to the rear. Just remember AWD is only AWD when your foots planted...

So to answer your question it's all down to personal pref. I had it and loved it. But due to my current journey to work decided on DSG over Quattro as it suited my journey better.

J.
    Thats a great write up mate, and i agree fully
    Impreza WRX, Impreza Type R, Impreza WR1.Audi 3.2 V6 DSG Quattro [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Track Days in all of the above.