2.0tdi chipping experiences

csm7djs

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and also new to owning my 2003 A3 2.0TDi sport 140. My problem is that i've come from owning a E46 SMG M3 and traded to a diesel and i am really missing power. I need more :racer: ( although i am loving 45mpg )

I'm sure this question has been asked a 100 times but oh well sorry in advance.

I really want to chip my A3 but completely unsure what line to go down. I've read up on the Revo, AMD and the superchips and they all sound decent. But what i am really after is personally experiences of these chips. Who rates what chip etc and hopefully this will help me sway one way or the other.

Sorry if that has been asked hundreds of times.......

I've had mine Revo'd and I love it, have a pretty heavy foot but still average 40mpg over a tank.

Superchips have just recently released thier Bluefin tuning box for the 2.0Tdi's and it's getting some pretty decent reviews. It works along the lines of AMD's one click system where you can upload different programs intot he ECU - standard and remapped.

J.

In CMS's defence, I also have a 2003 2.0TDI 140 A3. The 8P was launched in late summer 2003 on a 53 plate.

Mines registered 21July on an 03 Plate. Think it was one of the first ones out....

Been reading about the Bluefin which sounds great and i've booked in for tomorrow to have it fitted.....

i'll keep you posted of the results...

So is the Bluefin actually worth it? What does happen when you take the car for a service? Should you always remove the map? What would happen if you forgot? Sounds like something I could be interested in...

I found that forum and it made my mind up for me - cheers MarriedBlonde :)

yes he is a genuine reviewer, but i've give my feedback at the weekend....

After speaking to them at superchip, you get the bluefin box thingy and it allows you to revert at anytime back to the original settings. And there is no way of telling the car was ever chipped...... My car has run out of warranty on the 21st anyway and at £800 and something to renew it, that was more than my M3 no thank you......

At the moment i'm only saying what they have told me, hopefully when i go down there tomorrow i will know a bit more..... but at £479 including rolling road tune, that is a brilliant price, cheaper than any of the Revo dealers i contacted and they don't rolling road the car either.

csm7djs said:
I'm new to this forum and also new to owning my 2003 A3 2.0TDi sport 140. My problem is that i've come from owning a E46 SMG M3 and traded to a diesel and i am really missing power. I need more :racer: ( although i am loving 45mpg )

I'm sure this question has been asked a 100 times but oh well sorry in advance.

I really want to chip my A3 but completely unsure what line to go down. I've read up on the Revo, AMD and the superchips and they all sound decent. But what i am really after is personally experiences of these chips. Who rates what chip etc and hopefully this will help me sway one way or the other.

Sorry if that has been asked hundreds of times.......

I have both Revo's Stage 1 map at 187bhp and Stage 2 at 202.6 bhp - both produce close to 300ft/lb of torque. Mine was installed by Vince at Stealth Racing at Southam on their dyno - I have the plot charts to prove.

Stage 2 is too much (too scary - ESP light on at 50mph on a dry road!) and isn't too good on fuel (under 40 mpg), the Stage 1 however is brilliant and is actually marginally more economical than standard and is a good compromise between the two.

I've done about 15,000 miles on the Revo stage 1 and have averaged a true 44.4mpg (the DIS lies big time)

Be wary about the claims of big power increases, they are pretty good as standard; mine - with 6k on the clock made 164bhp as standard (the Dyno was recalibrated a few days previously) and this isn't unusual apparently.

In the Revo installation the re-map is completely invisible to the dealer (they all have the same revision number unless you know where to look), the stock, Stage 1 and 2 maps all reside concurrently on the ECU and with the Revo SPS switch you can swap between them in about 10 seconds.

It would be foolish to take a remapped car to a dealer for service though - it would be instantly obvious on road-test that things were very different - if you needed Warranty cover say for a transmission failure on a goodwill basis (at the end of main Warranty or otherwise) thenyou could guarantee that you were on your own.

I'm really impressed with mine and it is super quick too - like you by the sound of it I've had some fast pieces of metal in the past, this is the closest to having outrageous fun with good fuel economy that I've ever had in my life. I can't see me ever going back to a petrol powered car.