New S3 Revealed

Lame. The old S3 is turning in its grave.

looks rubbish. S3's are supposed to be understated but muscular, looks way too Ripspeed for me.

I just don't fancy paying the best part of £10k for a car that looks almost identical to the one I currently have. I wonder how many other 8P A3 owners feel the same after seeing thse pics?

There's some talk that the OTR price of the S3 is gonna be around £26-27k, lower than expected. Which does beg the question why did Audi even bother? it has 10 more bhp than the 3.2, costs only a bit more and looks more or less identical.

The new TT is looking more and more tempting by the day, especially after seeing it on Fifth Gear last night in S-line guise.

I must admit to wondering what they could do to make a large step above what I already have, and now I have the answer, at least that means I can change the M/C without too much hardship!!

i know these are supposed to be spy photos.

But is that not an s-line or some tuning companies badge badge on them? not an s3 badge>?

body kits??? - the alloys look out of place.

Looks worse than most of you guys with S-Lines to me, such a disapointment if you ask me if that's what it's going to look like - further dilution of the S brand. I suppose on the plus side if this one is crap it'll make the original a classic.

When you compared the original to the normal A3 sport, wow, the difference was stunning, and compare these too....

But then again, if you compare a new S-line A4 with the S-line kit (which seem to be every where) to a S4, same again, not many visual differences.

Shame though.

Nah, I dont beleive those pics are the S3..... But judging by the lack of difference between an S line A4 and an S4/RS4.... I would expect similar lack of difference in the S3....

confusionhunter said:
Nah, I dont beleive those pics are the S3..... But judging by the lack of difference between an S line A4 and an S4/RS4.... I would expect similar lack of difference in the S3....

Why don't you believe?

Look at the spy pics posted in February, those had an 'S3' badge on the sterring wheel.

These new spy pics fit with those pics exactly, except now the bumpers have been painted.

Besides, there's no way Audi would introduce a new A3 S-line kit, the current kit has only been out a year and the S-line models aren't that old. I'm 100% sure this is the S3.

YAWN.

i was wondering if this would affect the old s3 prices but i dont think i will worry now. looks boring and with a remap the old one will no doubt match it.

Like has already been said. the new TT looks the one to have!

I dont think that is the new S3, they look like s line badges to me.

mark88 said:

my%20little%20pony.jpg

nicks3 said:
I dont think that is the new S3, they look like s line badges to me.

So what is it then? a new S-line kit?

It's the S3, no doubt in my mind.

If peeps arent happy with the lack of wow factor in the new S models then blame Audi's decision to invent the "s-line" brand. Back in the day the "s" meant your car was a little bit special with subtle branding and a hint of aggression. spotted a black RS4 the other day and thought it was an s-line a4 with RS4 reps untill I saw the badge. Having said that though the new S6 looks smart. This isnt a dig at peeps with s-lines by the way.

confusionhunter said:
Well Look at the pics in this link:
http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=53817

and then this one.
http://nordschleifenfotos.de/_pic.php?date=20060422&nr=0281&m=0645&server=server02
You think that could be it? Until theres an official release I wouldnt beleive anything......

The auto express story of the so called RS3 is bogus, the car is an H&R racing car.

However, the pic they have of the red s3 under wraps again fits perfectly with these new S3 pics. Those are the wheels that are on the yellow car, the S8 style 18 inchers.

Oh well, i think we will just have to wait and see. I agree these new spy pics tie in with the older yellow ones. Just different wheels and front splitter is painted.

I read somewhere its being unveiled at the Paris Motorshow in September.

Hopefully old S3 prices wont drop too much - im using it as trade in for this one. Still think it will be 272bh instead of 260bhp - dealer confimed it to me as 272. and it will look better in black!

That really does look like a poor effort. Wheres the subtle agressive styling in that? Does throwing on honeycomb fog grilles, adding a silver grille below the sfg, shaping the rear bumper and adding some splits make it an S3? I've never been a great fan of the 8P, and that really has killed it for me. I don't think i'll ever own an 8P now.

I'd agree that the S-line branding of the A classes has completely diluted the exclusivity of owning a new S class, unless you go all out and get an RS class. I'm not a fan of sheep in wolfs clothing at all.

Looks like my 8L is now a keeper.

Come on Audi, pull out that brown finger and make an RS3, and show us how it's meant to be.

ajbroch said:
Still think it will be 272bh instead of 260bhp - dealer confimed it to me as 272. and it will look better in black!

Isn't that the old PS vs BHP calculation again?

Guys, one thing that does fill me with a little hope is that this pic:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=71273

appears to be virtually identical to the pics on World Car Fans except for the mirrors, yet it IMO looks rather good.

Perhaps the new spy pics are taken at a bad angle, given we can see right under the car it makes it look like it sits really high.

One thing's for sure though, the wheel arches don't look any different to those that are on the regular A3 which to me is one of the biggest dissapointment about this car from an asthetic POV.

Maybe with the introduction of "s-line" trim they should have ditched the "s" class and just stuck to the "rs". With the 3.2 quatro S-line and now the new s3 there doesnt seem to have been much planning and smells of a marketing ploy.. BMW also have this thing with the "m sport" package where you can get a factory bodykit on a standard car with //m badges all over it. Now you cant tell the diference between an //m5 or a 5 series diesel with the m package (except the exhausts). Anyway guess we weill see when the moter comes out that last pic is a photoshop.

silver75 said:
Anyway guess we weill see when the moter comes out that last pic is a photoshop.

I know, but you have to say it's amazingly accurate.

That last pic looks good tho!!
I wonder why its the biggest kept secret ever, if they are going to release it this year, surely they would have given us more info by now, details of the RS4 were out ages before it was released!

MMmmm Strange.

I have to say im slightly disappointed,im hoping this could just be a publicity stunt and there will be a more exciting bodykit.Hey they could even lower the price.By the way,that yellow does not suit that car at all,red,blue,black yes,yellow no.

Im looking forward to the test drive, you can make it look like whatever you want, its what it drives like at teh end of the day ;)

more pics, at least the interior is nice. Just maybe in black with the right wheels it could be nice. Real shame theres no flared arches this time round.
spygame_s3.jpg

005__scaled_600_029.jpg

Nope, they are the same seats as I had in my 2.0 sport as an upgrade, half leather, half Alcantara, the interior looks pretty std to me bar the clocks.

johnmv55 said:
Nope, they are the same seats as I had in my 2.0 sport as an upgrade, half leather, half Alcantara, the interior looks pretty std to me bar the clocks.

Indeed, just looks like any other A3 interior.

Perhaps audi aren't expecting A3 owners to be purchasing the new S3? If so surely they'd be doing a bit more?