EM TuningChris Nott
    2nd Gear

Status

Question How to remove head unit?

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I've spent half an hour searching to no avail.

I'm a newbie - just picked up my 2004 Sline DSG TDI on Thursday.

Its got the standard Concert head unit and climate control.

Can someone give me easy instructions to remove the head unit, so that I can wire in my bluetooth phone car kit?

And on a second note, where's the easiest place to pick up an ignition and earth feed to power my satnav receiver? Is it easy to get behind the cigarette lighter (where I usually go) or is there an easier source?

Many thanks for all help.

Graham.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    If you ever need to remove your Audi HU...

Or ask your friendly dealer - mine does it for free (10 second job), some others charge.

Or get a part of these from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CD-RADIO-REMOV...QQcmdZViewItem

2nd Gear

Status

Thumbs up

many thanks for instant reply. I'd seen the nail file thread, but that sounded a bit risky. I hadn't realised there was a special tool, (in fact I couldn't see any holes or slots for one...), so will probably go for that...

5th Gear

Status
    I would really recommend spending the dollars and buying the OEM keys, lots of horror stories about jammed keys and ripping the dash to bits to get the HU out. I installed a IPOD link, and the dealer lent me a set of keys
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    I would really recommend spending the dollars and buying the OEM keys, lots of horror stories about jammed keys and ripping the dash to bits to get the HU out. I installed a IPOD link, and the dealer lent me a set of keys
    Where do you get hold of an OEM key, as Audi don't sell them. I've seen similar ones on Ebay to those used by dealers (the handles covered in red plastic), but they don't claim to be official ones, and they look identical to the ones I've linked to.

The keys are there to two jobs - push the arm out of the way, and then slot into place so you can pull the HU out with them. However, if you remove the climate control first, you can grip the bottom of the HU with your hand. Therefore, you could remove the sticking out bit on the side of the Ebay key so it cannot get caught in anything, and release one side at a time.