Auto wipers please help!

steve184

Reaction score
After a recent visit to the garage to fix a different wiper fault, my auto wipers now don't seem to be working properly. I leave my wiper switch in auto position all the time (1 step up) in which case the wipers used to work completely automatically without ANY intervention from me - if it was dry they would not operate and if it started spitting a bit or raining they would automatically come on and clear the screen.

They now no longer work like this. I still leave the switch in position 1 all the time except now when it starts raining the wipers don't come one AT ALL. I can drive until i can no longer see the end of the bonnet and they don't activate - unless i switch the lever off back down to 0 position then back up again - then they resume normal auto operation, ie, alter with speed and rainfall. That is until the next time when they won't work again. I can start a journey and it be dry and it can start to rain mid journey and the wipers just do not come on unless i switch them on and off again - this doesn't sound like auto wipers to me???

Does this sound wrong to anyone - or have i imagined how they 'used to work' completely automatically???

funny that I have noticed that mine are no longer as good as what they used to be in terms of switching themselves on, I know this will sound like some Network rail statement but I'm sure its the type of rain :)

Just take it to the dealers and tell them, they should be able to update/tinker the software???

I have done! I have had a problem with my wiper since new (thats 2 years). It has been in FIVE times now.This has been happening ever since visit 4. When it went in for visit 5 i told them this wasn't right and its still not right. I'm really sick of asking for things to be done and them not get done! Its a joke.

Yes its because the stealers are in general terms '<below average>' can you not take it to another dealers?

I have done that too! Attempt 4 was another dealer who in turn, scratched my front wing, scratched my engine cover and caused this 'new' fault.... oh and they never fixed the fault it went in for in the first place.... brilliant use of time and effort eh?

another VAG convert then. If we all never buy again then they might learn that they dealer network is <possibley in need of improvement> and that it will take more than some new steel and glass to change them

d3fy said:
another VAG convert then. If we all never buy again then they might learn that they dealer network is <not brilliant> and that it will take more than some new steel and glass to change them

Well put, couldn't agree more!