water loss

stonecold1163

Reaction score
I have had my a3 2.0 tdi for about 3 months now.I have noticed that im losing water from the rad.I can`t see anywhere where the water is going to no water leaks anywhere anyone help?

Yeah - exactly the same problem with me.

Apparently some of the earlier 2.0TDi's had a pourous cylinder head - I've had mine replaced.

The dealer will start by testing the EGR valve (& probably replace) but it is essential that you keep an eye on the level afterwards - they do not like replacing the cylinder head & Audi technical have insisted that the dealer witness the fault. However it is difficult to replicate the symptoms. Mine had coolent usage of approximately 1 inch (in the header tank) every 1000 - 1500 miles. If you leave the car for more than 48 hours and then start the vehicle, pay attention to the way it starts. Does it "run rough"? And furthermore, is there any white smoke on startup? If so, then you have also probably got a pourous cylinder head.

creaking steering,creaking windows,knocking rear shocks,and the water leaks,are all common problems with the a3's at the moment,although i still like it.

same problem here as well with a 2.0FSI. just out of the dealers this morning where they showed me 6 cracks in the head. i have the car 6 months and i told them to keep it this morning. its been with them 6 weeks over the last 2 months for loosing coolant. they replace the fan and thermosat but it kept on using coolant. the first day i took it in i asked them to check the head for cracks after hearing of problems with the heads on A3's on this site. this coupled with the list of other problems i have had with the car leaves me with no confidence in this car or the brand.