AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was the STIG.

Status

Help me choose some alloy wheels please!

Hi everyone. Bought my A3 2.0 tdi a few weeks ago now and love it. Its a superb car and I really enjoy driving it, not missing my mini cooper S at all. Am planning a few changes for it, starting with a rieger front bumper. I need some help deciding on alloy wheels for it. Looking at 18/19 inch diameter. I would really like some idea from you all on what rims suit the A3 the best. Not a big fan of the new RS4 wheels, 19 inch RS6s not bad but wanted something a bit different. Some of the ones i've seen -

1) Kerscher 8x18 rims. Nice fat look but do they look too chavy and crap from the side??? (top two pictures)

2) Photoshop 19" porsche turbo cup rims. Look stunning, can't find them for love or money. Believe me, i've looked!

3) 19" Multi-spoked rims (not necessarily the ones in this pic)

4) Good ol 19" CH'ers.

Please make any other suggestions too of other rims. Come on guys, dont be shy, I really need some help here!

Cooky

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Why on earth do you need other people's opinions to help form your own?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Reverse Gear

Status
    well i know bbs lms look lovely but quite a few people have this wheel. but what i do think look stunning and iv not seen one a3 with them is HRE Wheels there some stunning ones out there and Racing Hart. I just like to be a bit different so im not roling on the same wheels as everyone else

I was the STIG.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962
    Why on earth do you need other people's opinions to help form your own?

i'm new to the a3 world and just want to find out what wheels look good on the a3. I know that there must be lots of wheels out there that i've not seen that may look really good on the car so thats why i'm asking others. If I just bought some now and in 2 months found some others that really suited the car I would be kicking myself.

cheers stefan, will look for some pics of those wheels.

cooky

Administrator

Status
    what colour is your car, if its silver than BBS CH's all the way ! they look sweet in that last pic !

tinka
    have a look at only1stefans,on page 4 of post pics of your a3 8p,they are nice.

Big Ron

Status
    Im a big fan of HREs but they are very expensive and I think you have to import them from the US?

Big Ron

Status

Big Ron

Status

More HRE niceness

Status
    BBS Ch's are a classic and one of my all time favourite wheels. Had them fitted to my R32.

The new style RS4's look really nice, the previous style RS4's suit the car as well.

Do you want to go the OEM route, sublte or bling?

Loving the HRE wheels.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Reverse Gear

Status
    i just like the hre wheels because you dont see many at all :-) and there stunning

I was the STIG.

Status
    My car is black. I'm getting the riger front bumper just like stefans car.

Had a set of hamann alloys on my last car, they have the split rim design and looked the dogs. Dont want to be a bling bling boy but the picture i posted of the old style 19 inch rs4 alloys looks good to me.

Like the HRE wheels but dont wanna import stuff from the US. What are people opinions on the kerscher wheels? Not good I take it as nobody said nothing about them.

Appreciate the posts guys!

Cooky

Top Gear

Status
    Go for RS6's if any but then the Caractere wheel on your pic look the bomb too! (sorry had a few beers on on school night... can't type very well - and no i'm not 16!).
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah i like the kerscher rims, love the deep dish look!!

Still love rs6's though even though they are common as!!

1999 AUDI S3 | AMD STAGE 2 REMAP | MILTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST | VIPER DIVERTER VALVE | EBC TURBO GROOVE DISCS | RED STUFF CERAMIC PADS | 18" RS6 REPLICA ALLOYS | ANDYMAC 'BOSE' UPGRADE.

6th Gear

Status
    both the porsche cups and kerscher rims are very nice. The kerschers are about as euro look as you can get. Personally i love the wide rimmed deep dish euro look, others dont.

just pick some rims that do it for you. Buy them cause you like them.

smoking a6

Status
    cups my favourite
    just a little a6

Uber Post Whore

Status
    What about the MTM ones?

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Reverse Gear

Status
    oooo i like them :-) but again i have this thing i like to be different (only with my cars lol) and get wheels you dont see around. Iv never seen another audi with my wheels.

I was the STIG.

Status
    these sportec mono's look really nice on the a3 and not too audi unlike but a little bit different.

I think they are quite expensive but i'm gonna be keeping this car 4yrs maybe more so dont mind making it look special.

cook

2nd Gear

Status
    Personally I'd get 19" new RS4s
    2005 A3 2.0TDi Quattro Sport S-line - Brilliant Black, Full Votex kit (SOLD)
    2007 RS4 V8 - Sprint Blue

Big Ron

Status
    Try http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/

They are very good if your into the Euro look, where I got mine from. Must admit I dont think Ive ever seen a new style A3 done in a Euro style.

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by only1stefan
    i just like the hre wheels because you dont see many at all :-) and there stunning
    The finish on the HRE's is just stunning, love the brushed aluminium finish and they are light as hell also.

3rd Gear

Status
    HREs do have the superb finish, but they take forever to make and ship. They are imensely expensive as well. Have you looked into iForged wheels?

The B6 RS4s on the Caratere car look good. Gunmetal grey on black could be nice, if it's your sort of thing.

I did read that you weren't partial to the B7RS4s, but here's a pic to richen the thread:

Ben.
    '05 A3 3.2 MT6 /// KW Variant III - GenII Haldex Performance Part - H&R sways - TST Stressbrace - VF-Engineering full mounts - 17lb 8x18 Neuspeed forged wheels - CG Lock - Ross Tech

HPA FT450 turbo installed, with world's best Torsen front diff: www.peloquins.com

Every day's a track day ;-)

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by john_cook
    2) Photoshop 19" porsche turbo cup rims. Look stunning, can't find them for love or money. Believe me, i've looked!
    iforged, DPE all nice rims for the porsche wheels try http://www.rh-alurad.de/indexen.html they are reps but not sure if they go up to 19s

Big Ron

Status
    Just looked they only go up to 17

3rd Gear

Status
    Hartmann wheels perhaps. But they would require shipping from the USA as well...
    Ben.
    '05 A3 3.2 MT6 /// KW Variant III - GenII Haldex Performance Part - H&R sways - TST Stressbrace - VF-Engineering full mounts - 17lb 8x18 Neuspeed forged wheels - CG Lock - Ross Tech

HPA FT450 turbo installed, with world's best Torsen front diff: www.peloquins.com

I was the STIG.

Status
    am really swaying towards the 19" old style RS4 alloys in picture number 5. Not sure what make those ones are but they look fantastic. The new RS4s look very good in the picture posted too, not as good as the old.

Iforged wheels look great but where can I buy them in the UK and how much are they???

Would love porsche replica rims the most but they are IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of :-(

maybe i'm turning into a proper audi man finally!

cooky

Big Ron

Status
    Think they are called Italia Razze or something..

3rd Gear

Status
    ...and www.autoexclusive.be have them. iirc, there's a choice of Audi silver, gunmetal grey, and the flashy "chrome" as pictured.

I got my replicas from them, and they have been ok thus far.
    Ben.

6th Gear

Status
    Would love porsche replica rims the most but they are IMPOSSIBLE to get hold of :-(
    cooky
    you need to get to some auto jumbles at VAG shows nice and early Best bet is to pick up a set of genuine used rims and have refurbed back to new...

Grrrr

Status

Smile

I think the BBS CH style wheels look pretty special personally.

Not sure if its an optical illusion or not, but the BBS wheels look "deeper" than those on my Audi

Audi TT RS

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by powerplay
    Not sure if its an optical illusion or not, but the BBS wheels look "deeper" than those on my Audi
    They are I think it could be to do with the offset?

I was the STIG.

Status
    I might be able to get porsche replicas to fit with the 5 x 130 stud pattern plus an adaptor. Need to make sure the ET is ok. The adaptor is 20mm thick, the ET needs to be 65 for a perfect fit. If its about 55 then I guess the wheel will stick out 1cm. Is this ok/safe??

Cooky

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    If it were my car I'd get either the Sportec Mono / MTM wheels or any of the BBS wheels but they wouldn't be any bigger than 18". Those Euro ones look ****e in my opinion (real marmite look if you ask me).

I was the STIG.

Status
    yeah, have gone off the kershcer (euro look wheels) and they cost 360 for each wheel, no tyres inc. Starting to think audi RS6 wheels in 19 inch size would be good, maybe old 19 inch RS4s.

Can anyone tell me if having a wheel on which sticks out by 10mm will be ok???

The porsche replicas will fit with an adaptor but will be out by 10mm. I dont know if this is ok to run the car. It would look so good with the 19 inch porsche rims on as in the picture ive posted.

Plus I can get 4 porsche 8x18 wheels for 625 new! much cheaper than any of the others, may be able to get 19s for under 1k.

cooky

3rd Gear

Status
    I have been looking for wheels for mine and definitley 18inch are much cheaper a good compremise if you ask me.
    Tyres are much cheaper only about 5 - 10 more than the 17inch.
    19s tyres are so expensive for the same tyres you are talking a extra 100 more each.

Big Ron

Status
    Miss Viper if thats your car in the sig I'd get some black or anthrite (?) wheels. They would look the nuts on a yellow car

3rd Gear

Status
    It's hard to answer your question without knowing the wheels' width. Any variance in width has to be taken into account if you are concerned about the wheels' outer edge being too close to the fenders.

For example, I went from:

7.5x17" ET 56 wheels (Audi OEM) to

8x18" ET 45 wheels (vulgar reps).

Now, the outside edge of the wheels stick out more than just (56-45 =) 11mm (due solely to the different ET#). They also stick out a further half of .5" ! (due to the difference in the wheels' widths - 7.5 vs 8.0").

An inch being 25.4mm (or something close), you have to add one half of the extra .5 inch of the wider wheel, in order to determine how far the outside edges of the wheels sit. So 25.4 / 2 / 2 = 6mm, which you add to the different offset.

In effect, the outside edge of my new wheels stick out a further 11 + 6 = 17millimeters. And that is the furthest I'd go without heavy fender work.

Hope this helps,
    Ben.
    Ben.

6th Gear

Status
    yeah, have gone off the kershcer (euro look wheels) and they cost 360 for each wheel, no tyres inc. Starting to think audi RS6 wheels in 19 inch size would be good, maybe old 19 inch RS4s.
    You either love or hate the low, deep-dish, phat euro look. There is no in-between.

Can anyone tell me if having a wheel on which sticks out by 10mm will be ok???
    That'll depend on your MOT tester. Strictly speaking, they should fail the MOT.

I was the STIG.

Status
    i just spoke with someone at dubmeister. Am looking at some 19 x 8.5 alloys with ET32. They have some which I'm going to try on my car and see if there is a problem with the arch. He thinks the rears will be ok but the fronts might need arch rolling if I was lowering the car. Will try them out and see. The wheels he found are the porsche turbo replicas which are in the picture below. They are my favourite look and the ones I really want. I know they arent audi look-a-likes but in my opinion they look better than audi wheels and my opinion is the one that counts! Hope they fit cause if they do I will buy em.

Cook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast