Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Xenons Worth Ł700?

Hi all,

Can’t get the thought of not ticking the xenon’s options box out of my head!

Are they really worth Ł700 over the standard units, do people just get them for cosmetic reasons or just to say that they have xenon’s?

You can get the same look from some high quality aftermarket bulbs with similar performance.

Thanks

Ivan

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Hi

I was lucky enough to have Xenons when i bought my car, however, the last couple of cars have also had them, and i personally would never buy a car without them again!

I would't have thought you'd ever get the same effect from after market bulbs, however, i can also see your point about shelling 700 quid out, i'd personally pay it, but thats just me!

Cheers

Reverse Gear

Status
    I don't think you get the same light output/quality from a kit.

xenons are far superior.

If you wan't it for looks only, go ahead save yourself the 700.

Personally i don't find xenons to be a must, yet i regret not getting them.

5th Gear

Status
    I could not care less about them. IMHO waste of money, or perhaps a better way to put it, over priced - if they where Ł250 I would have had them.
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Nice as standard but you'll never gain that extra Ł700 when you sell her.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

5th Gear

Status
    had them on last 4 cars (two I fitted myself with an aftermarket kit) and they are soooo worth it!

Top Gear

Status
    I'd have them again! Shame you can't really get any sidelights or Full Beam lights to match the whiteness tho...
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

* J e d i *

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko
    I'd have them again! Shame you can't really get any sidelights or Full Beam lights to match the whiteness tho...
    You can mate, PIAA do 6k and 8k bulbs for sidelights and main beam and they are a perfect match being the same colour temperature.

Problem is they are expensive.

IMHO hids are a must but you can get good kits for cheap i.e. 120 quid.

Check my post in the A4/B5 forum.

Cheers

Derek

1999 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro Sport - Xenons - Magic Tree

Now gone:

2000 A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro Sport - 18" RS4s - Xenons - Remapped 210+bhp - +More - Went bang now dead.

1998 A4 1.8 N/A SE - 18" RS6s - Xenons - Angel Eyes - Fully Colour Coded - Lowered - Full Stainless Exhaust - +More - Writen off by a twit in a rx8

My Current 1.8T Quattro Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Cool thanks guys.

I think I will pass on the xenons this time.

Thanks again.

Ivan

I was the STIG.

Status
    Xenons are a must for me and a lot of people who have had them before. I've had them on my last 2 cars (retrofitted them on one). The A3 Xenons are the brightest i've had, they really do a good job at night. The headlamp unit also looks cool too. Its up to you obviously, but if you have them when selling the car its an added point to some freaks like me who really desire Xenons. It will command a bit more at resale, not Ł700 but a few hundred at least. If not, go to HIDS4U website and get a bixenon upgrade kit for Ł350.

Cooky

Status
    Xenons are a must for me as well have them on my last 4 cars as well and wont order another one without them. Are they worth the Ł700? Definately.

People don't think twice about spending inexcess of a grand on a set of alloys to improve the look but people question spending Ł700 on xenons which make it safer to drive at night!!!

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    Yep, I`m another zenon convert. I find night driving much easier with them although I find the zenons on my Father`s E-Class are far superior than the units on my Sportback.

I wouldn`t want to be without them but do find them a little expensive.
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.

1st Gear

Status

Smile xenons

I'd have to say that if you plan to drive a car at anything approaching a decent speed on poorly lit roads you cant beat them,

The A3 ones do seem a little low set, nothing being as high-set as my previous BMW's dazzling height, but the adjusters under the bonnet can give you another 20 yds without upsetting oncoming traffic, yes they look good but once you've driven a car with them, it feels like you've got dirty headlights when you jump in something without them.

I'd always spend the money on these.
    2012 Q3 S line S-Tronic 177 TDI
    2013 MINI GP

Previously B8 S4, 8P A3 3.2Q

Reverse Gear

Status

Smile

yup i got xenons on mine and its the first car iv got them on and ill never go back. first the light output and clarity is better and second they look the tits makes it look like an luxury car
    Last edited by only1stefan; 3rd July 2006 at 08:06.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsburger
    Yep, I`m another zenon convert. I find night driving much easier with them although I find the zenons on my Father`s E-Class are far superior than the units on my Sportback.

I wouldn`t want to be without them but do find them a little expensive.
    Get Audi to check the adjustment on them. At a guess I would say they are set too low!

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    I wish I'd ordered xenons on mine,as the standard lights are probably the worst I've come across on any car I've owned.
    Adjusting the level and changing to different bulbs helped,but not by as much as I hoped.
    I do a lot of driving on unlit country roads and the standard lights are the limiting factor to hacking on,which is frustrating.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

4th Gear

Status
    No doubt they are v good, but way too expensive for what they are.

Probably rarely used for a portion of the year too, unless you go out late often on summer evenings.

Probably a high profit item for Audi!
    Last edited by cdb2; 3rd July 2006 at 11:24.
    Sportback

Senior

Status
    Whether you buy the xenons or not could well depend on how much you use your headlights as in how often you drive on unlit roads.
    As soon as I get out of my drive there are no street lights so xenons are a must, if you live in the city then less so.
    It is not just the xenons you are paying for but also the self leveling and the washers
    99 S3 Absolute red

tinka

Talking

[QUOTE=bowfer]
    I do a lot of driving on unlit country roads and the standard lights are the limiting factor to hacking on,which is frustrating.

and the dsg.

5th Gear

Status
    don't they do dogging localy to you then Bowfer?

3rd Gear

Status
    Definitely add them, the lights on my A3 were without doubt the worse headlights I have had on a car since I owned a Volvo 340 while at UNI, and believe me I go through cars quite regulary.
    No matter what type of bulbs you put in or no matter how high you up the beam they are really, really poor.

Are they non bi-xenons now?
    A6 3.2 Quattro Avant tiptronic for wafting in.
    M3 SMG Coupe for having fun in!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    don't they do dogging localy to you then Bowfer?
    I wish,but your wife expects me to drive to her...

;-)
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

5th Gear

Status
    LOL

Status
    Must admit, after having Xenons on my previous car, a Focus ST170, it was the first box I ticked for my Sportback.

Are they worth Ł700? Probably not, but they are significantly better IMHO than normal lighting. Forget the brightness - it's the light spread which is the best feature. If you drive along the middle lane of a motorway at night (like most of the population here in the UK do anyway!), all three lanes are illuminated. Fantastic! :D
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benw123
    Must admit, after having Xenons on my previous car, a Focus ST170, it was the first box I ticked for my Sportback.

Are they worth Ł700? Probably not, but they are significantly better IMHO than normal lighting. Forget the brightness - it's the light spread which is the best feature. If you drive along the middle lane of a motorway at night (like most of the population here in the UK do anyway!), all three lanes are illuminated. Fantastic! :D

My problem is that one of my first ticks was in the Sat Nav+ box which bumped the price up, adding Xenons at another Ł700 isn't as simple as it sounds.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    Get Audi to check the adjustment on them. At a guess I would say they are set too low!

J.
    I`m getting shot of it next month so probably wont get round to it, thanks for the advice though!
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.