Xenons Worth £700?

A3_3.2_S-Line

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can’t get the thought of not ticking the xenon’s options box out of my head! :keule:

Are they really worth £700 over the standard units, do people just get them for cosmetic reasons or just to say that they have xenon’s? :confused:

You can get the same look from some high quality aftermarket bulbs with similar performance.

Thanks

Ivan

Hi

I was lucky enough to have Xenons when i bought my car, however, the last couple of cars have also had them, and i personally would never buy a car without them again!

I would't have thought you'd ever get the same effect from after market bulbs, however, i can also see your point about shelling 700 quid out, i'd personally pay it, but thats just me!

Cheers

I don't think you get the same light output/quality from a kit.

xenons are far superior.

If you wan't it for looks only, go ahead save yourself the 700.

Personally i don't find xenons to be a must, yet i regret not getting them.

I could not care less about them. IMHO waste of money, or perhaps a better way to put it, over priced - if they where £250 I would have had them.

Nice as standard but you'll never gain that extra £700 when you sell her.

had them on last 4 cars (two I fitted myself with an aftermarket kit) and they are soooo worth it!

I'd have them again! Shame you can't really get any sidelights or Full Beam lights to match the whiteness tho...:rolleyes:

wilko said:
I'd have them again! Shame you can't really get any sidelights or Full Beam lights to match the whiteness tho...:rolleyes:

You can mate, PIAA do 6k and 8k bulbs for sidelights and main beam and they are a perfect match being the same colour temperature.

Problem is they are expensive.

IMHO hids are a must but you can get good kits for cheap i.e. 120 quid.

Check my post in the A4/B5 forum.

Cheers

Derek

Cool thanks guys.

I think I will pass on the xenons this time.

Thanks again. :applaus:

Ivan

Xenons are a must for me and a lot of people who have had them before. I've had them on my last 2 cars (retrofitted them on one). The A3 Xenons are the brightest i've had, they really do a good job at night. The headlamp unit also looks cool too. Its up to you obviously, but if you have them when selling the car its an added point to some freaks like me who really desire Xenons. It will command a bit more at resale, not £700 but a few hundred at least. If not, go to HIDS4U website and get a bixenon upgrade kit for £350.

Cooky

Xenons are a must for me as well have them on my last 4 cars as well and wont order another one without them. Are they worth the £700? Definately.

People don't think twice about spending inexcess of a grand on a set of alloys to improve the look but people question spending £700 on xenons which make it safer to drive at night!!!

J.

Yep, I`m another zenon convert. I find night driving much easier with them although I find the zenons on my Father`s E-Class are far superior than the units on my Sportback.

I wouldn`t want to be without them but do find them a little expensive.

I'd have to say that if you plan to drive a car at anything approaching a decent speed on poorly lit roads you cant beat them,

The A3 ones do seem a little low set, nothing being as high-set as my previous BMW's dazzling height, but the adjusters under the bonnet can give you another 20 yds without upsetting oncoming traffic, yes they look good but once you've driven a car with them, it feels like you've got dirty headlights when you jump in something without them.

I'd always spend the money on these.

yup i got xenons on mine and its the first car iv got them on and ill never go back. first the light output and clarity is better and second they look the tits makes it look like an luxury car

Wolfsburger said:
Yep, I`m another zenon convert. I find night driving much easier with them although I find the zenons on my Father`s E-Class are far superior than the units on my Sportback.

I wouldn`t want to be without them but do find them a little expensive.

Get Audi to check the adjustment on them. At a guess I would say they are set too low!

J.

I wish I'd ordered xenons on mine,as the standard lights are probably the worst I've come across on any car I've owned.
Adjusting the level and changing to different bulbs helped,but not by as much as I hoped.
I do a lot of driving on unlit country roads and the standard lights are the limiting factor to hacking on,which is frustrating.

No doubt they are v good, but way too expensive for what they are.

Probably rarely used for a portion of the year too, unless you go out late often on summer evenings.

Probably a high profit item for Audi!

Whether you buy the xenons or not could well depend on how much you use your headlights :) as in how often you drive on unlit roads.
As soon as I get out of my drive there are no street lights so xenons are a must, if you live in the city then less so.
It is not just the xenons you are paying for but also the self leveling and the washers

bowfer said:
I do a lot of driving on unlit country roads and the standard lights are the limiting factor to hacking on,which is frustrating.

and the dsg.

Definitely add them, the lights on my A3 were without doubt the worse headlights I have had on a car since I owned a Volvo 340 while at UNI, and believe me I go through cars quite regulary.
No matter what type of bulbs you put in or no matter how high you up the beam they are really, really poor.

Are they non bi-xenons now?

Must admit, after having Xenons on my previous car, a Focus ST170, it was the first box I ticked for my Sportback.

Are they worth £700? Probably not, but they are significantly better IMHO than normal lighting. Forget the brightness - it's the light spread which is the best feature. If you drive along the middle lane of a motorway at night (like most of the population here in the UK do anyway!), all three lanes are illuminated. Fantastic! :D

benw123 said:
Must admit, after having Xenons on my previous car, a Focus ST170, it was the first box I ticked for my Sportback.

Are they worth £700? Probably not, but they are significantly better IMHO than normal lighting. Forget the brightness - it's the light spread which is the best feature. If you drive along the middle lane of a motorway at night (like most of the population here in the UK do anyway!), all three lanes are illuminated. Fantastic! :D

My problem is that one of my first ticks was in the Sat Nav+ box which bumped the price up, adding Xenons at another £700 isn't as simple as it sounds. :eiertritt:

marriedblonde said:
Get Audi to check the adjustment on them. At a guess I would say they are set too low!

J.

I`m getting shot of it next month so probably wont get round to it, thanks for the advice though!