Volks AutosJMB Retrofits

Thread: Bulbs

Top Gear

Status

Post Bulbs

I have just purchased some Power Bulbs PowerPlus H7 bulbs to replace my Fog Lights with whiter bulbs and also took advantage of the free W5W's for the side lights. Hopefully I'll get time to fit them next week and take some pics when they are done.

You get buy of get one free on the bulbs so thought it was a good offer. These are um

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/product....For=&PT_ID=112

The fogs look easy to replace but I'm still a little unsure about the side lights...
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status
    Most of us that have replaced our main beams also got the free sidelights as well...and didn't fir them.

The normal ones are tricky enough, but the sides are fekin ridiculous.

Top Gear

Status
    I've already got Xenon's tho so I didn't think it was worth replacing them! Unless there are some better bulbs for Xenon's??
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

1st Gear

Status
    I replaced the side lights in my new A3 in 5 mins. Some long nose pliars and its a doddle.

I wanted to do my fogs too, but they are an odd bulb type, so leaving them until a Philips Blue vision type is released for them.
    Audi A5 2.0TFSI 211 S Line
    Lotus Evora

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepearson
    I replaced the side lights in my new A3 in 5 mins. Some long nose pliars and its a doddle.
    Ditto! I don't remember neading a needle nose pliers. I must have dainty little fingers unlike the shovels for hands that you lot must have! :D
    On a sidenote. Don't throw out the original sidelight bulbs. They are the same type as the Glovebox lights. Came in handy when I broke my glovebox lightbulb while removing the glovebox to fit my phatbox.

Quote Originally Posted by dalepearson
    I wanted to do my fogs too, but they are an odd bulb type, so leaving them until a Philips Blue vision type is released for them.
    Any idea when these will be available?

As for the whole Philips Bluevision thing. In hindsight I'd only fit these if one had Xenons. Much like I want bluevision fogs purely to more closely match my bluevision mains and dips. I'd only get the whiter light Bluevisions so as not to stand out so much with Xenons. They certainly aren't Xenon look which was my impression when I ordered them for my dips and mains. Had I known I wasn't getting bluer (Sp?) lights but whiter lights I would have got the 50% brighter Osrams.
    Last edited by Calibos; 23rd June 2006 at 23:23.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes I have big hands

As for the fogs, I am not sure they will ever make them as I dont think many cars use these odd types, I know not all A3's have them either.

Weird.

Before Sides

After Sides

I have changed them all escept the fogs, and they are like Xenons in the way that at a distance and the right angle they have a blue / purple tinge.
    Lotus Evora

Vroom Vroom

Status
    I've just ordered some Osram Silverstars, if they make as much difference as those pics above I'll be a happy man
    -------------------------

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

-------------------------

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibos
    Ditto! I don't remember neading a needle nose pliers. I must have dainty little fingers unlike the shovels for hands that you lot must have! :D
    On a sidenote. Don't throw out the original sidelight bulbs. They are the same type as the Glovebox lights. Came in handy when I broke my glovebox lightbulb while removing the glovebox to fit my phatbox.

Any idea when these will be available?

As for the whole Philips Bluevision thing. In hindsight I'd only fit these if one had Xenons. Much like I want bluevision fogs purely to more closely match my bluevision mains and dips. I'd only get the whiter light Bluevisions so as not to stand out so much with Xenons. They certainly aren't Xenon look which was my impression when I ordered them for my dips and mains. Had I known I wasn't getting bluer (Sp?) lights but whiter lights I would have got the 50% brighter Osrams.
    There are some power blue bulbs in the h4 type which is for fogs isnt it?? not phillips though!!

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default....For=&PT_ID=112
    Last edited by Adams3; 24th June 2006 at 17:16.

1999 AUDI S3 | AMD STAGE 2 REMAP | MILTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST | VIPER DIVERTER VALVE | EBC TURBO GROOVE DISCS | RED STUFF CERAMIC PADS | 18" RS6 REPLICA ALLOYS | ANDYMAC 'BOSE' UPGRADE.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Audiboy
    I've just ordered some Osram Silverstars, if they make as much difference as those pics above I'll be a happy man
    I upgraded mine with these and had them on the last car, they are much better
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

Top Gear

Status
    I read somewhere that is was H7 for the Fogs on an 8P I hope I'm right or I'll have 4 H7's to sell!!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wilko
    I read somewhere that is was H7 for the Fogs on an 8P I hope I'm right or I'll have 4 H7's to sell!!

When I called Audi and gave them my chasis number they confirmed the fog bulbs in my A3 are H11. So I would check if I were you.
    Lotus Evora

Status
    Have a look at this post. I've fitted the sidelights to match my Xenons and it wasn't too bad. And I have fairly big hands too! :D
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

Top Gear

Status
    I have just checked on the online ETKA and that stats that the fog lamp is a halogen bulb 'longlife' / 12V55W H7 for a 2005 A3 8PA.

1st Gear

Status
    I have just checked on the online ETKA and that stats that the fog lamp is a halogen bulb 'longlife' / 12V55W H7 for a 2005 A3 8PA.

I have just removed the fog light on my 2006 A3 and I can confirm it is a H11 bulb on mine not H7. You may want to remove yours and check before ordering.
    Last edited by dalepearson; 26th June 2006 at 12:39.
    Lotus Evora

Top Gear

Status
    The bulbs came and in my 2005 05 plate they are H7's. Although I'm a little disapointed cos even the Philips side lights don't look as white as I thought, I'll be checking um in a bit when it dark!

Neutral

Status
    Well I ordered some of the PowerBulbs +50% bogof and also got the free philips sidelights too... Same day my misses buys me PIAA Chrome White (66 per pair) bulbs for my birthday (big 30 yesterday!)... Gotta say the PIAA are sooo much better than the PowerBulbs ones... They give out a really crisp white light that is almost equivilant to HID's. Incredible..
    The PowerBulbs didn't go to waste tho... I've put the PIAA as the dipped main beam and used the PowerBulbs in the full main beam.
    Haven't yet put the sidelights in yet, but hopefully will get round to it tonight.... Can't wait for the nights to get darker!! ;)
    Well ok beats the rain!
    Cheers H
    Black A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport with black Alcantara/Leather, silver roof rails, Symphony II & BOSE, heated seats, storage pack, lighting pack, PIAA chrome white lights and more...

1st Gear

Status
    hburnett
    is this the correct code the code for the side lights -- PBVW5W and part no H222
    might get some but i've read they are right b@stards to fit, unless you have the hands of a 6yr old

Top Gear

Status
    The sides are easier to fit than I expected. You dont need any tools just a quick tug on the cable connect to the bulb and out it pops.

Neutral

Status
    The sides are easier to fit than I expected. You dont need any tools just a quick tug on the cable connect to the bulb and out it pops.
    Wish I had tried the quick tug... I couldn't get my IceAge hands into the bloody hole at all, so got a mate to do it... He struggled to....

I think that was the correct code, but have thrown the packaging out... Dope... they are 5w I think!

H
    Black A3 Sportback 2.0TDi Sport with black Alcantara/Leather, silver roof rails, Symphony II & BOSE, heated seats, storage pack, lighting pack, PIAA chrome white lights and more...