New User, buying an A3 next week!

john_cook

I was the STIG.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just like to say hello as I've just signed up and am sure to be on here a fair bit in the next few months. Next week i'm buying a 2005 A3 2.0 TDI sport with just under 18k on the clock. Am really looking forward to it!! Its a 3 door in black with half leather interior, climate control and xenon headlights. Its not a quattro tho. Just sold my mini cooper S and now moving to audi. I've owned a couple of VW golfs (mk3/4) in the past so am happy with VAG cars. This should be much more spacious, comfortable and economical than the mini. On the test drive it was no slouch when I put my foot down too. I've read about remaps and may consider this a few months down the line. Here is a picture of it (still at the dealers)..

psg001-Vi.jpg

Couple of things I would like to do to it include changing the wheels. I really like the look of these wheels, pictured on a black A3, but I have no idea what make or size they are. If anyone has an idea, would appreciate them posting their thoughts.

psg001-RT.jpg

Are there any other things I need to check up before buying the car??? Anything specific to the 2.0 TDI like software updates or things which need to be done under warranty?

Any other little upgrades that I should be doing that all you A3 owners do?? Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cooky :)

Those aren't wheels, they are the barrel of a washing machine!

wicked mate, keep us posted !

Welcome to the club mate. No idea on the alloys, most people have the RS6 or RS4 wheels if they change them. Things to look for, make sure all the fit and finish is as you expected, that it has a full tank of fuel and enjoy.

Get buying some good cleaning products now for when you are cleaning the car every week as black is a ******!

Welcome John.

No idea about the wheels but I do know remaps transform a diesel if you do go down that route.

What is with these Stig imposter, we all know the secret identity of the stig.

But hello and welcome.

thanks guys,

not sure about the stig, could be the rodent! Cant wait to get the A3 now. Am going crazy not knowing what make the alloys are!! I like that fat / split rim look. I had some hamann alloys on my mini and they were so fat! Will probably send the picture to a few alloy wheel sales companies on the web and see if I can find them. Will post pics of the car when I get it, probably on friday of this week coming up. Want to put some side skirts on it and a rieger lower front lip spoiler soon, then find these alloys or some other fat ones.

cooky

Welcome to the forum cooky.

Definately chosen the right colour :D I had a mini cooper S for a few months and the Audi is definately a step in the right direction ;)

A remap totally transforms the car, definately worthwhile!

J.

They look a bit like the Oettinger wheels, but those are definitely for show only. Either that or they've welded the suspension together to eliminate any travel, otherwise the wheels would rip the arches to bits.

Actually, just found these which look more like them.
http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=296&strPageHistory=search&strKeywords=5x112%20et42,%205x112%20et45,%205x112%20et48,5x112/57.1%20et38&numPageStartPosition=14&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all&Make=Audi&Model=A3%2003>&strSize=18"

thanks again for the replies,

Marriedblonde, think I may have seen a few of your posts on the UKMK4s website as I used to have a golf before the mini. Also was considering an R32 about 3 months ago so may have been on R32 forums too. You are quite correct, the A3 is a great car, better build than the mini and VW. Looking forward to it, customising it a bit and eventually a remap!:racer:

Eeef, i actually found the wheels! It involved being very nerdy and spending hours on end searching through google images but they are made by KERSCHER who do a body kit. They are available in 8x18 thru to 11x18 inches. They come in 5 x 112 but the problem is the ET which is 60. Not sure if those will fit with adaptors. Here is picture of my old mini with hamann alloys. They are only 17 inch diameter but the reason I like the fat rim look is they make the wheels look bigger than they are. For example the KERSCHER rims look bigger than 18 inches but 18 is the only size they come in. Have found 2 places in the UK that sell them, they are on par for price with a set of BBS CH wheels (pretty expensive). Here are some pictures. First my old mini with hamanns and some more pics of the KERSCHER wheels. I think they look good. What do you guys think?? Do they look a bit chav or quietly classy?

psg001-b.JPG

psg001-k1.jpg

psg001-k2.jpg

cooky