Chris NottBadger5
    3rd Gear

Status

Removing the front armrest

My local dealer has a new car in stock, which I am considering, but it has a pesky armrest ! (I find these get in the way when operating the handbrake, even in the 'up' position).

Can these be removed without leaving holes, or generally ruining the appearance of the interior ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    It will leave a big nasty hole, you would need to replace the tunnel plastic.
    2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

Top Gear

Status
    Why would you want to remove one of the best features of a car??
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

Lord of War

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilko
    agreed

3rd Gear

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko
    To avoid smashing my elbow everytime I use the handbrake

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    To avoid smashing my elbow everytime I use the handbrake
    How do you smash your elbow?! The handbrake only needs to go up a couple of clicks for it to lock on, if the arm rest is in the way it moves up too - so i've never had a problem with mine

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi
    How do you smash your elbow?! The handbrake only needs to go up a couple of clicks for it to lock on, if the arm rest is in the way it moves up too - so i've never had a problem with mine
    Because even when the armrest is in the 'up' position, the distance between the (now vertical) underside of the armrest and the handbrake is too short. (Unless you have abnormally short forearms of course).

It's an incredibly bad design. Even Captain Slow on Top Gear remarked on it !

Status
    Hmmm this doesn't make sense to me as I have the arm rest and can use the hand brake with it down... And no freakishly short arms here :D

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mfspen
    Because even when the armrest is in the 'up' position, the distance between the (now vertical) underside of the armrest and the handbrake is too short. (Unless you have abnormally short forearms of course).

It's an incredibly bad design. Even Captain Slow on Top Gear remarked on it !
    Agreed on the poor design comment but I can still use mine arm rest up or down and my arms are pretty normal

5th Gear

Status
    it is poor design, just like the rain that pisses in the car every time you open the window in the rain and go around a corner, can't expect them to get everything right. I mean, its got wheels and stuff

Lord of War

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by d3fy
    it is poor design, just like the rain that pisses in the car every time you open the window in the rain and go around a corner, can't expect them to get everything right. I mean, its got wheels and stuff
    You wanna open the window in a car when it's raining and you're suprised you get wet....

5th Gear

Status
    I have to open the window to enter the secuirty code to get out of the car park, every time I do that in the rain, a good sheet of rain water pisses off the roof, through the window and all over the electric window/mirror switches.

Never happend in the last two cars...

2nd Gear

Status
    Leave it on, I love mine. After a couple weeks you will not regret it.

The trick to using the handbrake with an armrest is this, or so I've found. Leave the armrest down, when you need to apply the handbrake don't reach for it from the drivers side, or have your arm comming for it ontop of the armrest. Instead, reach round and come in from the passenger side, then the armrest will be touching the inside of your forearm and you can easily apply the handbrake. Imagine you're carrying a carpet under your arm, the armest fit in that hole :-)

I remember not liking mine when I got my car but now I didn't even notice it. I know I would notice it not behind there when driving though.
    2005 A3 2.0TDi Quattro Sport S-line - Brilliant Black, Full Votex kit (SOLD)
    2007 RS4 V8 - Sprint Blue

Top Gear

Status
    That's the trick!!
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mark88
    Leave it on, I love mine. After a couple weeks you will not regret it.

The trick to using the handbrake with an armrest is this, or so I've found. Leave the armrest down, when you need to apply the handbrake don't reach for it from the drivers side, or have your arm comming for it ontop of the armrest. Instead, reach round and come in from the passenger side, then the armrest will be touching the inside of your forearm and you can easily apply the handbrake. Imagine you're carrying a carpet under your arm, the armest fit in that hole :-)

I remember not liking mine when I got my car but now I didn't even notice it. I know I would notice it not behind there when driving though.
    Thanks, good tip