Removing the front armrest

mfspen

Reaction score
My local dealer has a new car in stock, which I am considering, but it has a pesky armrest ! (I find these get in the way when operating the handbrake, even in the 'up' position).

Can these be removed without leaving holes, or generally ruining the appearance of the interior ?

It will leave a big nasty hole, you would need to replace the tunnel plastic.

Wilko said:
Why would you want to remove one of the best features of a car?? :confused:

To avoid smashing my elbow everytime I use the handbrake :)

mfspen said:
To avoid smashing my elbow everytime I use the handbrake :)
How do you smash your elbow?! The handbrake only needs to go up a couple of clicks for it to lock on, if the arm rest is in the way it moves up too - so i've never had a problem with mine :)

bacardi said:
How do you smash your elbow?! The handbrake only needs to go up a couple of clicks for it to lock on, if the arm rest is in the way it moves up too - so i've never had a problem with mine :)

Because even when the armrest is in the 'up' position, the distance between the (now vertical) underside of the armrest and the handbrake is too short. (Unless you have abnormally short forearms of course).

It's an incredibly bad design. Even Captain Slow on Top Gear remarked on it !

Hmmm this doesn't make sense to me as I have the arm rest and can use the hand brake with it down... And no freakishly short arms here :D

J.

mfspen said:
Because even when the armrest is in the 'up' position, the distance between the (now vertical) underside of the armrest and the handbrake is too short. (Unless you have abnormally short forearms of course).

It's an incredibly bad design. Even Captain Slow on Top Gear remarked on it !

Agreed on the poor design comment but I can still use mine arm rest up or down and my arms are pretty normal :)

it is poor design, just like the rain that ****** in the car every time you open the window in the rain and go around a corner, can't expect them to get everything right. I mean, its got wheels and stuff

d3fy said:
it is poor design, just like the rain that ****** in the car every time you open the window in the rain and go around a corner, can't expect them to get everything right. I mean, its got wheels and stuff

You wanna open the window in a car when it's raining and you're suprised you get wet....:keule:

I have to open the window to enter the secuirty code to get out of the car park, every time I do that in the rain, a good sheet of rain water ****** off the roof, through the window and all over the electric window/mirror switches.

Never happend in the last two cars... ;)

Leave it on, I love mine. After a couple weeks you will not regret it.

The trick to using the handbrake with an armrest is this, or so I've found. Leave the armrest down, when you need to apply the handbrake don't reach for it from the drivers side, or have your arm comming for it ontop of the armrest. Instead, reach round and come in from the passenger side, then the armrest will be touching the inside of your forearm and you can easily apply the handbrake. Imagine you're carrying a carpet under your arm, the armest fit in that hole :)

I remember not liking mine when I got my car but now I didn't even notice it. I know I would notice it not behind there when driving though.

mark88 said:
Leave it on, I love mine. After a couple weeks you will not regret it.

The trick to using the handbrake with an armrest is this, or so I've found. Leave the armrest down, when you need to apply the handbrake don't reach for it from the drivers side, or have your arm comming for it ontop of the armrest. Instead, reach round and come in from the passenger side, then the armrest will be touching the inside of your forearm and you can easily apply the handbrake. Imagine you're carrying a carpet under your arm, the armest fit in that hole :)

I remember not liking mine when I got my car but now I didn't even notice it. I know I would notice it not behind there when driving though.

Thanks, good tip :)