Debadge?

beerglass

Reaction score
Hows does everyone feel about de-badging cars?
I was thinking about removing the badges from the rear off the car tonight

Couldnt do it..

What do other people think about it?

Seen a few A3s done and they look alright IMHO

I've left mine on, I think it might detract from the cars appearance and value, but thats a personal opinion. Its nice to let people know (if they're interested) they have just been passed by a 3.2...

I just debadged my A4, Think it looks more cleaner on the rear now.

steeve said:
I've left mine on, I think it might detract from the cars appearance and value, but thats a personal opinion. Its nice to let people know (if they're interested) they have just been passed by a 3.2...

It's even better when it's tdi...once the cloud has disappeared of course. ;)

I was tempted to debadge but I like the idea of people knowing that they have just been smoked by a tdi!

But it does clean up the rear end of the car. Catch 22...

hate it, some pics of a 2.0T on Tyresmoke recently and he had, had it debagded from the factory. ****** horrible

My car came debadged with only the rings and i wouldnt have it any other way, looks more symmetrical and understated from the rear.

I always think debadged cars have something to hide,as the ones I usually see are bottom-of-the-range BMW318i's,but the driver doesn't want peple to know that.
Anyone who knows their stuff can usually tell what it is by the exhausts,or other tell-tale signs,so you're only really hiding stuff from people who don't know about cars and,as a result,couldn't give a stuff what you drive anyway.

If you look on BM forums you'll also see 330i's and 745i's debadged. Some do it to hide the model some do it for looks. I'm happy mines debadged as I think the Audi model badges are ugly. RS, S and TT badges look ok though

Only the rings on mine also.. I think if I had the 3.2 though I would leave the badges on...

I always wonder aswell if they can issue you a parking ticket correctly without the model number on the back ;)

I remember watching a Clampers programme on BBC, and she did not ticket this BMW 7 series as it had no back badges and therefore couldn't write the model on the ticket!!

Suppose you might de-badge a 1.6 S Line, but there again the single exhaust would give it away!

I did mine as I got sick of chavtastic cars buggering around at lights. Stealth is the key for me.

Now I can drive sensibly :D without being harrassed.

If you know your cars you will still work out what it is of course.

It also easier to polish as well;)

I've debadged a lot of my previous cars and quite like the stealthy look. I saw a black '06 S-Line Sportback recently which had also been debadged and polished, and it looked very smart.

The only thing is, you have to be very careful when removing the badges not to scratch the paint. Previously, I've used an old credit card and lots of soapy water - has anyone got any better suggestions?

must get a 1.6 badge for my S3.....

still remember the days when yo uused to swap your golf gti badge for a golf cl one....

benw123 said:
Previously, I've used an old credit card and lots of soapy water - has anyone got any better suggestions?

Easiest method is a bit of dental floss, you can remove the old sticky residue with some WD40 and then apply some polish over the area. No marks, no mess :D

J.

d3fy said:
hate it, some pics of a 2.0T on Tyresmoke recently and he had, had it debagded from the factory. ****** horrible

That would be me. Many Thanks :)

No problem ;)

EDIT: I do seem to be in the minority and just think that it looks unfinished...

We are all different, so it doesnt matter. Its what the owner likes that matters.

rear.jpg

I kind of like the red T on mine, so the badges are staying put......

dalepearson said:
We are all different, so it doesnt matter. Its what the owner likes that matters.

rear.jpg

Looks good-And the other MINI in that pic is a great car, looks like a ONE?

keeping mine cos i'm old school thinking it does matter whats under the hood :D .. but thats just me

I know this is going to sound wild and crazy!!!!

If you do debadge it and don't like it you can always put some new badges back on...

Yeah of course, obviously you cant reuse the ones you took off, but a trip to the dealers for a new set and away you go.

Well once I have my new A3 home tomorrow it will be the fist thing I do (might have something to do with it saying 1.9 on the rear though :think: ). I'd made up my mind that I would leave the rings on but after seeing this A3 at edition38 it made me think again.....

1323813792_ea62c90b32.jpg

I guess I could just go for it and if it looks pants then I could buy a new set of, well, rings.

What do you think?

i too always wondered about the rings to be honest but i am a man who likes symmetry and i would think it would look odd

class looking a3 though, those rims look stunning! makes me think about lowering mine even more!

bowfer said:
I always think debadged cars have something to hide,as the ones I usually see are bottom-of-the-range BMW318i's,but the driver doesn't want peple to know that.
Anyone who knows their stuff can usually tell what it is by the exhausts,or other tell-tale signs,so you're only really hiding stuff from people who don't know about cars and,as a result,couldn't give a stuff what you drive anyway.
Exactly, although if I took the badge off mine there'd be no way to tell it was a diesel (other than the noise of course) :)
Deanphoto said:
Well once I have my new A3 home tomorrow it will be the fist thing I do
If the car is brand new, why didn't you just order it minus the badges?

I'm guessing because he only just decided to get it done.

I agree with Bowfer. Anyone who knows a bit about cars will know that a small boot spoiler and twin pipes means business so it's pretty irrelevant taking the badges off. Plus anyone who does notice it because of those features will probably actually want to know what's under the bonnet.

Certainly with an S3 anyway. Someone in the know will know it's an S3, those that don't either don't care or will look at the S3 badge and realise it's not "just" an A3.

Ive taken off the A3 badge and the Audi rings :kissmyrings:

but ive left the 2.0 TDI badge on

but replaced the standard T with a RED T so it says " 2.0 TDI "

Just so that people will know they have been wasted by a diesel

but as if the cloud of black smoke wasent enough of a giveaway

Good thread! I also was thinking about this as i'm sick of seeing every other VAG car with a 2.0TDI across the back:
Jetta, Passat, Golf, A4 etc etc

BUT, as everyone said, it's nice for them to see that they've been smoked by a TDI lol. I'm gonna do a modification to mine anyway so watch this space ;)

Vertigo1 said:
If the car is brand new, why didn't you just order it minus the badges?

Because they take the badges off at the dealers, and I've seen how they take them off :asskicking:

I have asked them not to clean the car as well, I'll give it a good going over tomorrow!

As for the badges, I'll take them off one at a time, take pics and post them up tomorrow........if I'm not out driving all day :thumbsup:

debadging is really a matter of personal preference - usually if I see a debadged car I assume the owner has something to hide.

what really ticks me off though is when somebody adds badges to it to make it look like something it isn't without removing the giveaway badges - for example a couple of A4s where I live are badged "RS4 1.9TDI Quattro S-Line" and still have the diesel exhausts sticking out the back. as somebody said earlier anybody in the know will know the guy doesn't have an RS4 and also know that the guy driving the car doesn't know that they don't do diesel RS4s. Makes the back of the car look like somebody's fridge. If you're going to do it, do it properly at least.

Funnily enough mine is being debadged as we speak. Removing all the badges inc the rings and polished bliss are polishing it hopefully it will look good