Badger5AH Fabrications

Thread: Dirty wheels...

Lord of War

Status

Question Dirty wheels...

When I first got my A3 i used to wash the wheel with whatever was in my bucket and a Halfrauds wheel cleaning brush. This used to get them fairly sparkly.

However, a few weeks back I thought I'd be diligent and took the wheels off, Clean Wheels'd them and then polished them.

they looked great for a few weeks but have since become brake dust magnets. The dust just doesn't want to come off as well as it used to.

Do the wheels come with a coating which I 've now knackered by Clean Wheelsing them?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeef
    and then polished them.
    Polished them or waxed them? If you're going to all the trouble of taking them off then a good coat of wax is essential.

A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line

Gone...and quite quickly forgotten

tinka
    or something like brake dust barrier,to stop the brake dust etching into the wheel when its hot.

Lord of War

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tinka
    or something like brake dust barrier,to stop the brake dust etching into the wheel when its hot.
    brake dust barrier? wasat then?

tinka
    turtle wax do it,i got mine from halfords,
    it says on the bottle,"ideal for protecting all types of wheels against brake dust and road grime,making cleaning wheels easier".

Top Gear

Status
    I used Wheelwax it works a treat good as new everytime. When I have taken mine off I have cleaned them with Meg NXT Generation in my bucket (whcih I clean the car with) then dry um using an old(er) cloth and then wheelwax um bring um up a treat (when you first got the car! - Honest try it it's great - and no I'm not on commision).

http://www.wheelwax.com/
    A3 2.0 TDI Sport in Akoya Silver - with... Black Alcantara, Black Headlining, Aluminium Inlay's, Interior Light Pack, Storage & Luggage Pack, Front Armrest, Electronic Climate Control, Non-smoking Pack, First Aid Kit & Warning Triangle, Electric Sunroof, Heated/Folding Door Mirrors, Sony CDX-GT930UI with USB iPod Connector & BOSE, 17" '5 Spoke Star' Alloys, Light & Rain Sensors, Xenons, Vortex Rear Spoiler, GTI Aluminium Pedals & Black Brake Callipers!

6th Gear

Status
    I don't find brakedust a massive problem but there must be something well weird about the trajectory of tar onto A3 wheels,because I've never ever had alloys attract tar spots like these ones do.
    I dunno if it's the lack of tyre-sidewall meaning it reaches the wheels easier,or what,but it's a nightmare !
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Status
    It's not jsut the rs6's that attract it my RS4's are the same. Complete pain in the jacksy!

Eeef any old wax will do no need to splash some cash unless you want to.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    To get the dust of the wheels use a non acid cleaner. I use Muck Off, its meant for bikes but works brilliantly.

Then as others have said, some nice wax to help the cleaning process in the future.

1st Gear

Status
    I've noticed my 17" S-Line alloys turning slightly yellow. My colleague has the same wheels on his A4 Avant and his only seem to turn black with dirt. What's the yellow staining that I'm seeing? I bought some alloy cleaning gel today in the hope it's going to remove it, because taking it to the car wash is useless so far.

Status
    Dorgan, what do you use to clean your alloys?

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

1st Gear

Status
    Before I used to wash it by hand using Sonax Wax n Wash. Since I've had a change in accomodation recently, it's not so easy to do the wash by hand anymore. Been taking it to the car wash instead which isn't really great for getting the alloys sparkling. I bought a few products and will give the hand wash avenue a whirl again. Just wondering why mine turn yellow and not my colleagues.
    Last edited by dorgan; 18th June 2006 at 22:32.

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dorgan
    Just wondering why mine turn yellow and not my colleagues.
    Tip: When you get home from the pub, wait till you're inside the house to urinate.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.