Dirty wheels...

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
When I first got my A3 i used to wash the wheel with whatever was in my bucket and a Halfrauds wheel cleaning brush. This used to get them fairly sparkly.

However, a few weeks back I thought I'd be diligent and took the wheels off, Clean Wheels'd them and then polished them.

they looked great for a few weeks but have since become brake dust magnets. The dust just doesn't want to come off as well as it used to.

Do the wheels come with a coating which I 've now knackered by Clean Wheelsing them?

Eeef said:
and then polished them.

Polished them or waxed them? If you're going to all the trouble of taking them off then a good coat of wax is essential.

or something like brake dust barrier,to stop the brake dust etching into the wheel when its hot.

turtle wax do it,i got mine from halfords,
it says on the bottle,"ideal for protecting all types of wheels against brake dust and road grime,making cleaning wheels easier".

I used Wheelwax it works a treat good as new everytime. When I have taken mine off I have cleaned them with Meg NXT Generation in my bucket (whcih I clean the car with) then dry um using an old(er) cloth and then wheelwax um bring um up a treat (when you first got the car! - Honest try it it's great - and no I'm not on commision).:cool:

http://www.wheelwax.com/

I don't find brakedust a massive problem but there must be something well weird about the trajectory of tar onto A3 wheels,because I've never ever had alloys attract tar spots like these ones do.
I dunno if it's the lack of tyre-sidewall meaning it reaches the wheels easier,or what,but it's a nightmare !

It's not jsut the rs6's that attract it my RS4's are the same. Complete pain in the jacksy!

Eeef any old wax will do no need to splash some cash unless you want to.

To get the dust of the wheels use a non acid cleaner. I use Muck Off, its meant for bikes but works brilliantly.

Then as others have said, some nice wax to help the cleaning process in the future.

I've noticed my 17" S-Line alloys turning slightly yellow. My colleague has the same wheels on his A4 Avant and his only seem to turn black with dirt. What's the yellow staining that I'm seeing? I bought some alloy cleaning gel today in the hope it's going to remove it, because taking it to the car wash is useless so far.

Before I used to wash it by hand using Sonax Wax n Wash. Since I've had a change in accomodation recently, it's not so easy to do the wash by hand anymore. Been taking it to the car wash instead which isn't really great for getting the alloys sparkling. I bought a few products and will give the hand wash avenue a whirl again. Just wondering why mine turn yellow and not my colleagues.